10-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #84
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Don't lose patience. And I urge you to tape the bumper where the grill meets it. Else you'll chip the paint.
Get the side one out again if you can. Pull the top clips out completely, one by one. A trim removal tool is very helpful. When you undo the first one, pull till it separates completely (undo two clips at a time and pull the first one out completely before moving to the third clip). Easy if you have an extra pair of hands to help you.
Mission failed successfully! I gave it 10 more minutes, got stuck in the same place, then called for help. Much easier with 2 pairs hands, but we noticed 2 things:

1. The clips were pretty tight and hard to get fully through the slots. Had to use a lot of force and push them down with a screwdriver, even after pulling them out partially. I think a trim removal tool would have helped here, as you said.

2. It took more force than I would be able to exert with one arm used holding down a clip if I were doing it alone. He said he gave it about 80 pounds of force.

I did follow your advice and tape it, and that may have saved my paint. It definitely came off at a downward angle and easily could have hit the paint. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!
Please excuse the holes in the bumper. I don't know why dealers put these horrible, horrible plastic plate guards on such beautiful cars. Especially with such big screws... I will switch to a thin frame or no frame once I get my actual plates--still on temps.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1949.00
OM3RTA394.00