Thread: Wine Thread
View Single Post
      12-29-2019, 09:37 PM   #77
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Caymus is one of my fav cabs/reds, if not the fav cab. It’s delicious. Recently had a cult wines tasting at work. Costs $250 per person but with about $7K worth of wine. CEO stopped by and donated 2 bottles worth about $2K each. So 12 bottles total. I gotta say, I liked Opus One and 1 other California wine the most. Haven’t really appreciate Old World wines as much as others. I like them but for the most part like New World more.

Recently got into port wine after visiting Portugal in November. I’m mostly a Pinot Noir guy (the more full bodied ones, not the bland ones) and in recent years have really liked Malbec. Will check out some of the recommendations here. Some of my favorites are below.

Pinot Noir - get my fix from local vineyards Savannah Chanelle. They have some of the best Pinots in this region. Been a member for 10 years. A very affordable but good option is Meiomi Pinot - $16.99 at Total Wine.
Cabs - Caymus, Stag’s Leap, O’brien, Silver Oak, Peju
Cab Franc - Delectus
Merlot/blends - O’brien. Famous for their amazing Merlot but their reds are also very good! Tend to be on the bolder/full bodied side of things with their reds. Have a bottle of their Passion of the Soul red that I’m aging. Should be good to age for 30 years.

I’m waiting to drink a few bottles: Stag’s Leap 40th Anniversary (from the same plot that won the 1976 Judgment of Paris), the O’brien, a Tawny Port from Savannah (was $100 few years ago), and a red I got from Portugal’s Duoro Valley last month.

I do wonder if the more expensive wines are worth their price. At the cult wine tasting earlier tasting this month we had wines from Opus One to Scarecrow to Chateau Margeaux. I thought most were just okay. Then again I don’t drink a lot of expensive wine so no baseline to compare to.

Napa has become very expensive for wines and wine tasting in general. Sonoma, on the other hand, has great stuff for much cheaper. Bought a nice cab from Jacuzzi (Italian style wines) in Sonoma for $40 after member discount. Something comparable in Napa is $120-180. Crazy...
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50