View Single Post
      04-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

What's holding you over until the next M3/M4?

Update:
Funny how I started this with an S3! Forgot how long ago I started this thread and folks still keep contributing and definitely my longest standing thread ... I think my second best was my DIY brakes for the F80.

Anyway.

S3 is long gone. I added a Camaro SS 1LE to the stable for track events. The Camaro loan paperwork was messed up and they basically had to take the car back from me which let me start with a clean slate. From there I took the S3 and traded that in for a lease turn-in M6 GC Competition with alllll of the goodies ($165k MSRP, paid half that). Loved it but it got hit in a parking lot and the paint job by BMW was horrible. I should've had it fixed but was so mad at how long it took and was just happy to have the car back; I just accepted it. Got rid of that car shortly afterwards (1 track day at buttonwillow first). Next, got myself an X1 knowing it would be boring but a stepping stone to my next car(s).

Now.... I'm moving this time next year and don't know where I'll be. If I'm near a race track, I'm going to want a track-tested car I can put through a weekend every month or two and not destroy it. If I'm pretty far from a track, I'll get something less trackable but still sweet. Current thoughts:

Near track:
GMC 1500 AT4 with 6.2L as tow vehicle plus:
Camaro SS 1LE or ZL1 1LE, Cayman GTS or GT4 (new or used?), Corvette C7 grand sport or C8

Somewhat near a track (2-3 trips per year):
M5 competition, M3, 992

Nowhere near a track at all:
X5M or M5 Comp or RS7 or RSQ8 or E63S wagon

Anyway ... time will tell. I'm alll over the map but I could be living anywhere on the map next year so it's fun thinking about it but the wait is killing me!

=====
Original post:

I had a 2015 and 2016 M3 .. loved 'em but I moved on due to car-trading addictions. Went through a number of vehicles trying to find the sweet spot but kinda realized the M3 was the sweet spot. Oops. I've had the S3 a little over a year and not sure I want to keep it for the next 2 years until the lease runs out. Wife's getting a new job which will help me justify blowing a few extra bones...

So... thinking of trading out the S3 for something a little bigger and nicer than the S3. Considering an S5 Sportback, M550i or maybe an M340i to hold me over until the next M3?

Not really looking for advice for what I should personally do, but just interested in what other people are doing while we twiddle our thumbs... lol.

Appreciate 0