Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspireSiR View Post
Why wouldn't you be able to do a 500 mile road trip in a Model 3? The computer helps you plan your route in order to incorporate the use of supercharging stations. Show me an M3 with 500 mile range tank. You'll need to find at least 1 gas station on that 500 mile trip also.
I think the whole rhetoric against Tesla by saying they need a car that can go on a road trip is stupid. Most people drive their cars 30 miles a day and rarely drive more than 100 miles between parking in their garage.

However, going on a road trip in a Tesla severely limits your options. The charge time is long, you have to find a place to plug in once you get where you're going, the supercharging network is hardly ubiquitous enough to go anywhere, and you definitely cannot be taking the most optimal routes or stopping anywhere you want. You have to stop where the supercharger are which wastes even more time than stopping where you want to stop and filling up at the gas station that is inevitably at pretty much every rest stop and tourist attraction you'll go to.
Appreciate 2
MT4life575.50