Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
A lot of new cars coming out with no manual options. The new C8 Vette, the Mustang GT500 and a slew of other performance cars. I think it could be a good position for BMW to be in. A lot of people who want a manual could be drawn to BMW who want a high end car.

Otherwise we will have just Mustang GTs and Mopars that have manuals as the death of the Camaro was just announced.

Dave
Sorry, I must have missed that with all the mid engine hype. The new Corvette will not have a manual??
Automatic only. GM said the take rate of the manual was over 50% when the C7 was introduced in 2014 but it has fallen to less than 20%. GM said they could justify the engineering, development, testing, tuning, and certification costs for a manual with such a low take rate.
There won't be a traditional manual but the DCT could potentially be used for a stick shift ... I'm speculating a lot but it seems like a "stick by wire" kind of idea. Same transmission but different application. Cool tech if they can make it feel realistic... just like electronic steering had gotten better and even acceptable to most people, this could be a nice way to keep the third pedal alive.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/mid-...-shift-theory/
Could but highly doubtful. The chief engineer said in the same interview that changing the DCT to a "manual by wire" would still require separate testing, tuning, and certification and it would be "really hard to justify the costs".
Appreciate 0