kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
I test-drove a 2019 AMG C63S recently. The improved "multi-clutch" 9-speed (MY2019 onwards) was actually not too bad to drive. Paddle response for downshifts was much better than I expected, and a *lot* better than the new X3M. Also, the paddles themselves were made of metal not plastic and felt like they were there to be used.

My biggest problem with the C63S was that the red-line was quite low and with a 9-speed transmission the ratios were very short. You *really* had to be on the ball to drive it well in manual mode. I kept hitting the rev limiter which I found very harsh and intrusive.

Another thing that made a huge difference was being able to hear the engine revs clearly (with the exhaust in sport mode). Makes it much easier to time downshifts, know exactly when a shift happens, and to keep track of gears. Not to mention, very satisfying as a driver. In contrast, the X3M Comp I drove was very muffled, and forced me to look at the dashboard all the time to check gears and revs.
The problem with the recent auto is that it doesn't really let you bounce off the rev limiter like in the early days, which is like alcohol; you know it is bad for the health of an engine but you can't stop doing it.

AMG uses nano-sliding technology to reduce the internal friction to unprecedented levels for all their AMG engines. I'm sure the close gear ratios got you, but the engine isn't too shabby revving to 7,000 rpm; it just gets there much faster than their competition.