Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
The S3 makes the most sense on paper due to modernity and practicality (4 doors, trunk, more luxurious than a Golf).

With that being said, if you value steering even a little bit you'll find it boring to drive. I much prefer the 135.
The 1er HPS isn't all that great. I honestly don't think it's any better than my GTI EPS. But don't you have a 1M? That's night and day to a 135i, and some of the best BMW has done.
Totally disagree. The E82 HPS is way better than the GTI. In fact the E82 steering is some of the tightest and nicest steering of any E-series BMW. Sure the 1M is different and possibly better but having owned both the 135 and the 1M the 135 held its own.

VW and Audi are terrible at steering feel; even when they had hydraulic. Their electronic racks are significantly worse, IMO. BMW are pretty bad now; but all the more reason to celebrate the last good BMWs that were out in the early 2010s
I'd probably agree more if the car I had when we had our 135i wasn't my Z3 M Coupe, which had comically better steering than the poor 1er, with the same Michelin PSS on both. The 1er was just heavy for the sake of heavy and didn't really provide small bump feel or a sense of loss of traction. It just felt like it had a whole bag of marshmallows isolating the feel. My GTI at least communicates when you've hit road imperfections and gives a clue about loss of adhesion.

The 1M pirates the bulk of the M3 front end making it much more communicative and had a better rack with more assistance and a quicker ratio.
Appreciate 0