View Single Post
      10-24-2019, 09:06 PM   #115
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
I agree....and don't forget, the f80 has more rubber in the back and, a faster shifting tranny (dual clutch). Something seems off. Maybe this was indeed an AWD?? And holy cow, if this is really the RWD (which I have doubts), how much is the xDrive going to weigh....4000+ lbs???
To quote road and track: "The 8HP automatic transmission has received updated gearing with shorter first and second gears, helping the 3-series be quicker off the line. Unfortunately, third gear hasn’t changed, and the resulting spread looks like it’ll cause a big drop in revs between second and third gears."

So BMW aggressively geared it for that fast 0-60... and I think there could be some sort of adaptive ECU algorithm at play that give it more horsepower than advertised during initial acceleration. My guess is they were aiming to match the Tesla dual motor by any means possible. Have you driven the M340i? If you have, you'll notice it has an acceleration flat spot going from gear three to four during rolling acceleration but not so noticeable flat spot if you hit third gear from second gear at WOT during initial acceleration. It's my one knock on the car... inconsistent rolling vs launching acceleration performance.
Appreciate 0