05-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #113
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
BMW was a standout for the longest time for having a natural feeling steering in the sense that the power steering interfered little with the feeling of steering before the time of power steering. There was enough boost to not make steering overly cumbersome but not enough to make it numb and artificial.

Even before EPS the world was full of brands and cars with over boosted steering with worse feel than today's good EPS systems as that of the M3.

An immediate giveaway is the return to center force and the center weight. No EPS system has gotten that right yet, it's too weak and too artificial. A blind test would reveal this immediately between good HPS and EPS, not so much bad HPS and EPS. Then there are a myriad of smaller signs that all contribute to that connected feel via the steering of the good HPS car.
People used to complain incessantly about the E9X M3's hydraulic unit in the "normal" setting. Claims that it was over-boosted, lacked feel, etc., and people preferred to drive in the Servotronic "Sport" setting just to regain what they defined as feel. When I went from my E9X M3 to a '14 335i, I didn't feel like I was really giving up much in terms of steering. I've never had an issue with BMW's EPS racks. People have short memories and everybody acts like the hydraulic systems were universally loved without complaint. The same stuff people complain about with regards to EPS systems are the same things they complained about with HPS systems.
Appreciate 0