02-27-2022, 05:50 PM   #17
partialresponse
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 ZHP 6MT, '22 G22 RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
So has anybody found the fix for the seemingly random missing album art problem?

I did find there’s a “memory” in the head unit, so maybe that’s the issue. I found this to be the case when trying to resolve an issue with repeat artist listings. Slight spelling differences were causing them to show as different artists, but even after fixing that they’d still be the same in the car.
Yes, the head unit definitely has memory tied to the USB stick ID - which is unique for each stick. I don’t know exactly how albums are identified in iDrive, but I suspect that the number of songs and the track length of each of those songs are used. Once an album is associated with ‘no album art’ (my expression) it can be very difficult to get iDrive to associate that album with art that is subsequently added. Make sure the album art is not too large - I’d suggest no larger than 600 x 600 and less than 250 kB in file size. When I tried to supply album art that initially was problematic and not being displayed, the system was so stubborn and ignored the updated art. I had to change the length of some of the songs (by adding several seconds of silence - by using Audacity) in order to get it to treat the modified album as a new addition to the USB stick and catalog it with the updated album art. Simply changing the track filenames or the album name tag for each song file in that album (using Foobar, for example) did not cause the album to be recognized as a new addition to the USB stick - and thus the updated album art was still ignored. Even deleting the album, plugging the stick back in for re-indexing, taking it out and copying back the offending album with updated album art using a different album name didn’t work. It is a very stubborn system, but I suppose that’s the tradeoff for the speed with which new albums on the USB stick are identified and cataloged.
Appreciate 0