05-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #25
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I'm not a football fan, can someone explain why the teams get to possess the gaming balls for the entire season?

Why not the NFL and referee govern all the gaming balls and supply them at kick-off? Like most other sports do?

If any ball is "deflated", then both teams gets the same benefit.
Call me a cynic, but I suspect the answer is so that teams can do all the other stuff they want to the balls that is permitted under the game's rules. http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...gate/22110063/

Call that stuff what you want, but it's certainly not expressly disallowed, so I have no issue with them doing those things. Truly, if the NFL want to alter their rules to allow for lower ball pressures when conditions are wet, fine. Amend the rules. Until then, the teams need to play by the rules that exist. Whatever disadvantage results from the existing rules will apply equally to both teams, and that's fair, regardless of whether the rules make any sense.

Might there actually be practical reasons why the teams retain control over the game balls? I suppose there could be. I don't know what they are that makes them so onerous to overcome that your suggestion shouldn't or couldn't be adopted.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0