Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nublu2u View Post
My, an M3 with a torque converter, a transmission slower than it's predecessor, lower revving than the s55, is that what the customers have been asking for?

In the past it was easy to point out what differentiated the brand; high revving engine, CFRP roof, SMG or M DCT, CFRP driveshaft, handling, etc. Looks like M's engineering excellence is a victim to the company accountants.
It's not only accountants. It's the owners and the board ... they transformed the company into money grab business where nothing is sacred any more.

Many M customers have no clue what drivetrain capabilities are and never drive vehicles on track or take spitited drives. There are folks on this forum that claim the X M's are real M cars. WTF!!?? How often do you see them racing? Maybe they are cause M has different meaning now I guess.

If you look at f80 section so many owners and buyers care about driver assistance bs features and leather more than the human-machine interface. Most M enthusiasats have or had e30, e36, e46 and e9x but are now owners of P and even Camaro, and X3s for wives. I talked to several of them at meets and hpde. Many bmw instructors moved to P after e46.

This new M3 will be nothing special with a copy-paste engine/drivetrain from SUVs, horrid design and will be probably larger and heavier than F80. It will be fast though but will it be fun and connected the way even sport package 3 series used to be?
Nothing wrong with the direction M is going as long as BMW is making money and able to continue its operation. One reason why the M2 received so many accolades was because it went back to basics (somewhat). In fact, the M2C is the M CEO's choice of his personal company car.

Sure the M3/4 have gone in a new direction than what it was years before. But I for one appreciate the new tech, amenities and everything covered in leather. Especially if someone is buying this as a DD.

If I wanted more emphasis on driving dynamics, I would go old stock or even a preowned Porsche.

The truth is BMW can't get away with maintaining their business by focusing purely on the driving experience without modern tech. Enthusiasts do not have enough capacity and buying power to sustain the brand.
It is ok to have options for luxury Ms. No problem there.

The issue is that they enlarged and numbed all cars and left enthusiasts hanging. They wait years to release overpriced GTS, CS etc. that get destroyed by Camaro at half the cost or less and release 3 m2 updates within 3 years. There is no halo car of any kind. Audi has r8 at least. They have no strategy anymore it is obvious.

I test drove M2c. I can tell you that it has numb rubbery steering and engine sound is laughable ... like a vacum cleaner. I had F80 pass me on the straight at Summit Pt. hpde in VA and I could not believe the sound probably close to full throtle at 125mph i.e. frrrrp and that was it. wow! However the size of the car and drivetrain is great. And then, guess what!? There is M2 CS coming out at the end of model production that many won't be able to buy! Really!!?? Probably the best car in the entire lineup is limited!! How does that make sense??

They have no strategy in my view and don't care about the folks that supported and help them build M brand over the last 3 decades. That's fine ... time to move on.
There are plenty of cars out there that will compete with an M for half the price. It has ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY! Even when I was in high school in the mid-90's, the Nissan 300ZX, Toyota Supra, etc. could dust an M3. Heck, a 1995 Nissan Maxima could get the better of a 1995 M3 in a straight line. A Corvette has always been able to run an M for less money, as has a Ford Cobra. I could go on, but anybody who has been driving M cars for any length of time (...and who aren't infants to the brand) will concede that the M is not always the fastest car for the money. It has always been about MORE than outright speed. I've been in mostly M cars for 20 years now (...almost as long as some M owners have been alive), so I've personally witnessed the paradigm shift in the mentality of M owners. Blame the buyers, not BMW.

The folks who support the brand change. Support is fluid. The people who supported the brand 30 years ago are not the same people who support it now. Times change and people have softened up. The result: a softer M car.
Appreciate 2
duky1316.50