del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
It stays off for me when I turn it off. But you have to go into the climate menu to turn it on/off. On US cars, there is a button on the dash that says "Menu A/C", and if you press that button a menu pops up on the screen where you can turn off the A/C.

When I do that, it stays off - I actually turn it off in the winter time. I know it stays off because now that is has become warmer, I was wondering why the car wasn't cooling off when I turned the temperature down recently and had to turn the A/C back on.

You can see the button here in this dash picture, it is next to the recirculate and "Max A/C" buttons:

If you use this iDrive 7 simulator, you can try pressing the "Menu A/C" button and this should be very similar to what pops up - assuming you have iDrive 6. It is probably a little different on iDrive 7.

http://bmwpkod.com/Media/Default/sta...ENU/index.html

You press Menu A/C then Heating/Ventilation then uncheck the A/C box.
I had been shutting mine off in the winter and then discovered that it would randomly turn on here and there. The display would not indicate it but I knew it was running. After doing some research there as a failsafe that will run the compressor to keep it oiled and all of the seals in tact. Apparently it's not good to have it not run during winter consistently as it could shorten the life.
Yep this is my understanding as well that keeping it on all year round is better than turning it off.

I used to turn it off during winter but for the past 2 years have it one all year round and have no issues. If anything I've noticed less misting overnight as well.

I also understand that car AC units are different to building ones in that the mouldy water issue isn't an issue in modern car AC units unless left for weeks on end and especially if cleaned regularly.