02-27-2019, 04:54 PM   #59
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I don't see age-based anger. I see perhaps one of the worst automotive TV launch spots I can recall. Having managed advertising, I see a creative director who ran roughshod over the strategic planner, as I find no clear message element, so evidence of satisftying an unmet need, nor any other basics in Advertising 101, before art directors run rampant. Try this test...imagine almost any other "contemporary" new car in the spot instead of the 3 Series. Is the spot as credible/persuasive/compelling...no more/no less? If so, it's bad advertising, per se. Good creative that is on-strategy should be specific to the brand. If you think back to when BMW strongly promoted the Ultimate Driving Machine in copy and art, you wouldn't find it credible with a Buick in the spot instead.
Correct on all accounts. Objectively speaking, this is a terrible ad. Terrible because it either (a) didn't accomplish what it set out to do or (b) set out to do something stupid and succeeded. And I'm thinking about their target audience here - not the ///M crowd and not enthusiasts.

I still find it amazing that ad agency teams + brand marketing teams can see something like this and all nod their heads and go, "Yep! That's the one." Yet, it happens all the time. Ultimately, the brand marketing execs are accountable for green-lighting this and for not giving the agency better direction or for not telling the agency to try again if this isn't what they were supposed to do. I suspect the brand marketing team got exactly what they wanted, however, which makes me believe they have no clue what they're doing.

I'd like to have been in the room from start to finish on this project just to feel what it's like to watch a disaster unfolding in real time.

How does this happen when talented, passionate people all over the world would love to work at BMW? So much of what's happening at BMW feels like a case study of what happens when top leadership at a company is inept. The smart, passionate people at BMW who understand the brand must be so frustrated...
Appreciate 2
MT4life575.50
AD18350.50