View Single Post
      05-31-2020, 01:32 PM   #45
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Not quite true. BMW saves approximately 20% of the battery capacity to save the life of the battery and to provide boost. So when the battery gauge shows "0" or "---" there is still battery life for boost. I have often run the battery down but never lost boost.

Even a crappy econobox can cruise on a highway. It is the need for sudden boost that makes the difference and you still have that with the BMW phevs.

But having said that, there are many, many cars out there and everyone should procure what works for them.
I am probably missing something here so don't shout at me - when I enquired about the 330e the dealer explained that the electric motor is only charged from a charging point and does NOT charge while the car is in use unlike some other hybrids.

So to my mind the battery must go flat at some point or switch itself off when it gets to a low level.

Based on that explanation the 330e is essentially a 320i when the battery is flat/disengaged..other than the fact the boot is smaller and it is carrying a lot of additional weight around.

Another thing that struck me is I wonder would will happen if and when the battery becomes unserviceable (5 year guarantee I believe) - the value would take a massive hit.

As I say, I stand to be corrected on this...after all, a bmw dealer explained it to me....
Appreciate 0