View Single Post
      06-08-2022, 02:17 PM   #1
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Brake Pad Installation & Review - Hawke HPS 5.0

I thought I would draft a quick thread for anyone who is contemplating the replacement of the brake pads (front & rear) on their G20 with M Sport Brakes. There are few existing threads about brake replacement but not an official thread which includes part numbers, instruction manuals and review details.

I first want to give a shout out to Mike over at Extreme Power House for another flawless engagement - thank you Mike!

My current vehicle is a 2020 M340i with 40k on the clock - no track days currently or in the future (only passionate street driving). Needless to say the rear pads were almost depleted and required replacement and since I was replacing the rear pads I went ahead and replaced the fronts. After much review I decided on a set of Hawke HPS 5.0 street pads since I wanted a tad bit more bite than stock. After the break in was complete I must say I am impressed with the new pads and their stopping ability - no fade whatsoever. My only gripe is related to the slight noise (more of a creek) which comes from the pads upon a final stop, but again this is to be expected from a pad designed for hard street enthusiasts For those curious about dust, its still too early to determine as I need to place additional miles on the vehicle prior to giving a response.

All components required are located below:

Front - Hawke Part No. HB916B.740 (QTY 1 = set)
Rear - Hawke Part No. HB917B.625 (QTY 1 = set)
https://x-ph.com/hawk-hps-5-0-pads-bmw-g-chassis-m340i/

Front - BMW Part No. 34-35-6-870-349 (QTY 1)
Rear - BMW Part No. 34-35-6-870-354 (QTY1)

Lessons learned:
1. Ensure you have the correct tools for retracting the caliper pistons. The front and rear pistons require different tools.
Front - https://www.amazon.com/Lang-Tools-27.../dp/B0079GQKDE
Rear - https://www.harborfreight.com/disc-b...-pc-63264.html
2. The stock pads have an adhesive which snuggly secures them to the caliper pistons requiring them to be softly separated with a screwdriver/pry bar. Ensure all leftover adhesive is removed from the face of each piston.
3. In the event the indicator message to replace the wear sensor is active - reset via:
a. Ignition to the "on" position
b. Press start/stop button three times quickly / vehicle will display "in-service mode"
c. Press and hold the "BC" button for 5-10secs. You will be prompted two separate times, each time press the "BC" button
4. In the event you are going to turn your rotors ensure the front and rear rotors have the minimum thickness requirements.
5. A metal coat hanger works wonders when securing the front calipers away from their original mounting locations.
6. Remove the brake master cylinder fill cap; verify fluid level each caliper piston retraction - siphon excess fluid as required (keep excess fluid as some will be reused upon the cycling of the brake pedal after installation).
7. A calibrated torque wrench is required (BMW requires NM but I am sure ft-lbs could be converted).

I truly hope the above gives assistance to those who prefer to wrench on their own vehicle or to anyone who might be on the fence about aftermarket brake pad replacement.

Cheers
Appreciate 9
xnick101651.50
VipinLJ1947.50
JABCAT2323.50
Red_sir134.50