View Single Post
      07-06-2019, 05:46 PM   #98
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
What joy of driving do silly laser lights provide?
How about muted turbos with fake engine sounds?
The digital gauges look like crap and don’t provide the cool 3D design/details like the Analog gauges do. Like comparing Apple watch to a Rolex.

It doesn’t have to be 1 or the other.
Let the regular models be efficient and tech driven but at least allow the ///M brand to still offer visceral, raw, NA engine powered cars. Porsche has done this beautifully with their GT car lineup.
I was responding to a message, which suggested that BMW should bring back halo lights. And laser lights are far from silly.

Also, those “muted turbo engines with fake sounds’” are masterpieces, and miles ahead of anything BMW did in the past. Of course they will get more muted and isolated, because that’s technology. Since he invention of ICE, engines got more refined, quieter, less rattly, smoother all the time... and that’s for the better. That’s the result of engimeering, technology and progress. I had a 330i with the NA 272HP inline 6, I had an M3 with the NA V8; the ‘muted’ B58 in the 540i is miles ahead of both of them. Buttery smooth, beautiful sound coming from a distance, amazingly fast when pushed yet it’s comfortable and smooth in the city, and can do 30+ mpg on the highway. That’s engineering, that’s technology. You can get an old Lada with a busted exhaust if you want your car to shake with the engine, and hear a lot of sound. All the the cars will get even smoother and more refined by time, and that’s a good thing. Diminishing the absolute best engines in the industry into ‘muted turbos with fake sounds’ is extremely cynical, sounds like a populist politician who’s trying to misinform and misdirect the people.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 07-06-2019 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 4
clee1982796.00
530iDriver1707.50
heavyD^23684.00
Mr_Burt77.50