03-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #28
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conezz View Post

What’s your reasoning? Do you mean debris that kicks up from your own tires? Still, that’s not really enough of a concern to get full front paint protection film if you’re not a tailgater. A lot of cars come with the fenders having a piece of paint protection film on them for this reason. My buddy here in San Diego has had his 330i for 8 months now. He drives on the highways and makes a point not to tailgate. He has no chips on the front of his car or windshield. I just remember having expel ultimate forefront on my last two cars. Despite it being self healing, the swirls add it up over time. Not to mention that the film can be damaged from debris itself. What good is a clear bra when the windshield is exposed? Blemishes on the windshield are much more annoying and noticeable than ppf. Everyone has just become so OCD. In the big scheme of things, it’s nothing.

If I had a choice if either protection film or good coating, the coating is it.
I am sorry but I disagree with you.

Repainting your front bumper & hood costs much more than replacing a windshield for starters. Further there is a product called clearplex which goes on your windshield like a PPF if you are that concerned.

Coating doesn't replace PPF and PPF doesn't replace coating. Both are recommended.

I had a seamless PPF done on my car then I coated the entire car myself. PPF is all about the installer. You won't be able to tell its there if it is done right. I also had Xpel ultimate on my last 4 cars and did not experience discolor, swirls or scratches. There is also another product called Stek Dynoshield which is even more impressive than Xpel. Look it up.

Report back after 3 years after 30K + miles about the condition of your paint, not on your friends car after 8 months. The PPF you had clearly protected your previous car's at the expense of the film itself.

Overall this is a well documented fact and you pretty much need PPF on today's soft paints otherwise you will get chips. Coating has minimal protection against chipping.

But then as you stated, to each on its own. Some people don't care about chips or swirls and rather save the $$$
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired

Last edited by TTG; 03-06-2020 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0