View Single Post
      09-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #79
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSpy View Post
The removal of the hard top is neither for weight or aesthetics (the latter makes no sense at all anyway). The removal of the hard top is solely due to the myriad of problems bmw has had with these for years. Leaking during heavy rain, it getting stuck often etc etc... truuuuuust me that's why. I've had 2 of them and it was a disaster.
It makes absolute sense for Aesthetics.
The new cars follow the lead of The 8 buy doing away with flat surfaces. As evident here the rear arches become broader and protrude more adding more mass to the rear of the car allowing a subtle,crisp characterline instead of that three dimensional comet characterline that split the car in two.

The 8 Cabrio shows how these elements will work with the 4er.
With the new Coupe 4er being more muscular than before and sharing nothing whatsoever with the G20.

If they implemented the folding hardtop to this. Then the angular lines of the hardtop would contrast with the more organic surfaces.
Besides the soft-top is lightweight and well layered to protect you from the elements. And can be lowered and raised in seconds even when you are on the move at speeds up to 50km.
Attached Images