View Single Post
      03-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #83
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I think you're the one with some strange insecurity about your M240i. The M340i is mostly just a regular M Sport 3 series. It's got special grilles and unique wheels, but the suspension and sheet metal are mostly just the same as any other G20. Obviously the engine is more powerful, and it comes standard with a Sensatec dashboard, but otherwise there aren't many significant differences between it and if they had made a G20 340i.

The M3 will have leather everywhere, significantly more power, different suspension geometry, unique fenders, rockers, bumpers, quarter panels, possibly a CF roof, additional chassis bracing, completely different suspension components, probably a different steering rack, and different wheel/tire sizes. Shall I go on? The M3 probably only shares the doors and trunk with the regular 3 series. The M340i will share every piece of sheet metal with the 320i base car.

There is zero question the M340i is MUCH closer to a 330i M Sport with a bigger engine than the M3. Maybe the difference isn't so big with the M240i and original M2. But that's a whole other ball of wax. For the 3 series, the M3 is WAY different from the M340i.

And why are you so hung up about what people think about what people can afford or what they prefer? There will always be people that judge people they will never know or talk to. Thing is, those people don't matter to you. Why get yourself worked up about them?

EDIT I'm confused why you chose to compare the M5 to a 530i. If BMW were still making a V8 5 series, it'd be pretty close to what the M550i is. They're basically just throwing all M Sport and some M Perf options on it and marketing it as a "special" car. The suspension, steering, and chassis are basically the same as a 540i M Sport or what a regular 550i would have been like if it existed. The M5 has upgraded steering, suspension, chassis strengthening, upgraded oil sump (for tracking), more heat exchangers, and unique fascias, hood, fenders, quarter panels, and roof. The extent of the M550i changes are just some special bits of plastic on the bumpers and maybe a unique grille? The interior of the M550i is mostly similar to the 540i M Sport while the M5 gets nicer M seats.
Precisely!
Kool aid is strong with some. 550i is 550i not matter how many M's you glue in front of it
Appreciate 0