GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6Dave View Post
BMWYY is a dividend stock so you can't just look at share price to understand how the company is doing. In the last 10 years that dividend has been between 4.5% and nearly 10%.

I swear TSLA has broken people's brains.
Wow dave, you really got triggered over that, and then pulled $TSLA out of nowhere for some reason! (Tesla is the top brand in World thanks to just this kind of attention!)

(1.) I said "one could argue"

(2.) I didn't mention Tesla

(3.) The post wasn't exactly meant to attract investors to my hedge fund

Your assholery aside, you do make a great point ... in isolation. Just for fun let's spitball it out:

* Let's assume a 7% BMW yearly dividend, a flat share price (since it is), & ignore inflation
* Over that 16 years, if you reinvested dividend income, that's ~195% return - pretty good!
* But, of course, BMW comes with some idiosyncratic risk ... so what if you'd invested in something more indexy to spread the risk like Vanguard's Growth index, $VUG?

Well, $VUG's returned ~360% over that similar time period (quick look just for fun, $VUG is ~485% over the last 10 years & $VTI - total stock market - is ~365%

So, sure, BMW investors have done well - that's true! - but it's also true BMW investors would've been better off putting their money in a lower risk Vanguard index fund which has ( and had) much lower risk, i.e., not the idiosyncratic risk of just BMW.

Anyway, one could argue , it's not $TSLA that's broken people's minds, rather Vanguard's index funds did
Appreciate 1
JamesGames1326.00