View Single Post
      01-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
Thank you for the detailed response! My G20 has only recently gone on order, so I have not yet had a lot of hands-on time with the possible settings of the M Adaptive Suspension.

So Adaptive Mode will generally feel the same as Comfort Mode, but tightens up when pushed...

Is Comfort mode with adaptive suspension installed (but turned off) the same level of softness as Comfort mode in the 330i that has passive suspension, or would it feel stiffer / softer?
All modes will have active suspension, simply limited to the 'map' for the specific mode. So Comfort Mode will be active within specific limits, the ability to stiffen individual dampers when necessary, like in braking and cornering.

Not many models have had variable damping, with a 'fixed' damping mode, like a passive damping system.

One example would be the E92 M3, with BMW's EDC-K adaptive suspension. There is the choice between three settings, the controlled programs (adaptive) "Comfort" and "Normal", or the uncontrolled (fixed setting) "Sport".

Yes you are correct, Adaptive Mode will be biased to comfort, and as you say tighten as necessary when pushed...
Appreciate 1