View Single Post
      02-15-2020, 03:47 PM   #1056
ASPEC135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sideways always

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
As far as getting a Rolex Sport model from an AD without having a pre-established relationship and/or buying up undesirables to get to the one you want-- it can be done.

Semi-long story:

My wife wanted to get me a Rolex for a combination 50th birthday/10 year anniversary/Captain's Upgrade present.

Good plan, as I'd always been sort of lustful for one for the last 20 years or so.

She liked the Air King.

Me? Meh.

I *thought* I liked the Explorer-- and on a layover in North Carolina, I found one at an AD. I tried it on, the AD held it for me for a few hours, I went to lunch, thought it over, and passed on it as it was a) a lot smaller than I thought and b) didn't really make my heart go pitter patter.

I really liked the GMT-II, but couldn't justify the price or wearing one in the cockpit-- the cases aren't all that hard and the cockpit is surprisingly a rather unforgiving place for a nice watch; your'e *always* banging it on something. AND, I have a Sinn 856 UTC that I use at work.

Did a lot more research and kept coming back to a Sub No-Date. But, wait list, wait list, wait list, everywhere I turned.

I put my name on a few lists with the expectation that it would be a year or so at a minimum.

Two weeks later, I got a call from the AD nearest my house-- they had just gotten one in, and the person at the top of "The List" passed for another model-- the sales rep that I'd dealt with (getting some jewelry of my wife cleaned/repaired/appraised) talked with the owner, told him my story, and he said to give me a call. She said they're careful on who they sell the "in demand" Rolex's to as a lot of people flip them immediately-- they want the watch to go to someone who's going to keep it and is not out to make a profit on it. (I could have made $1000 on it in a day).

My wife and I picked it up about an hour later.

Six weeks later, I got a call from another AD asking if I was still interested in the Sub No-Date. Obviously, I passed.

My only issue with the Sub is that I'm not a fan of bracelets-- so I put a nylon Everest strap on it and couldn't be more pleased. It *completely* changes the look of the watch-- it's much more subtle and not "blingy" or "in your face" like a lot of Rolex's.

So, I wear a Sinn GMT (terrifyingly durable) for work, and the Sub for at home/date nights.

R.
That'a a beautiful strap.

More info pls?
Appreciate 0