04-02-2020, 10:09 PM   #47
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuene93 View Post
Congrats on the new ride and very thorough write up. Stay healthy and enjoy the ride!
Thanks and you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_Vas View Post
I know I couldn't go from an enthusiast spec BMW (rwd,manual,m-sport) to a new BMW. Mostly because all the new cars are just not special. They are dime a dozen now.

Enjoy the new ride.
I've been there. This was a completely unthinkable move until a year ago. Kids change everything, and doing everything I could to safeguard my son and family overruled even this.

I went out driving in my "new normal" today, auto-hold on and driving only with the paddles. It's very different in around town driving but the essence of what made manual special (the absolute control) is still there if a bit muted. I'm confident as my skill increases, the gap will shrink. There is no replacement for the clutch pedal though, that's just a casualty of war for me. I miss heel and toe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioM3 View Post
Thanks for sharing, I had 2007 335i manual, great car but, after 4 years and 160k miles, it had to go, after that I bought 2008 e92 M3 manual, after small exhaust modification it transformed from good car to great one, now I have a dilemma, we have two cars in family, our f31 320d estate and my M3, we need to switch to one car from next year, reading your story and many others, I still can't decide to go for F80 M3 CP Manual or M340i xDrive auto, why didn't you go for F80 M3?
Oh boy. I came THIS close to ordering an F80 M3 at the end of production. The numbers didn't align for a new one, but what ultimately killed it for me was the lack of adaptive cruise, another feature I never thought I needed until I took some 14 hour road trips in cars with it. Never ever arrived at my destination feeling more fresh and alert than that before, it made it a must-have.

I even considered it with DCT when I realized my wife needed to be able to drive it. The real one that almost broke me was the M2 Competition. If I didn't need 4 doors, I would have gone for that and NEVER looked back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheM3Boy View Post
Thank you for the Amazing post and Congrats on the purchase!

There are so many similarities that at times it felt like I am reading my own story!
I still haven't let go of the E90 and I know I will cry when I do!

Stay safe!
Thanks so much, you as well! Good luck!

Last edited by -EndOfAnEra-; 04-02-2020 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50