Rep
Drives: BMW m340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabrognara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarSmell View Post
Following this thread because I'm looking at the possibility of an M340i. I'd be returning to BMW after having sold my e92 335i coupe last year. Two sets of questions for those of you with experience and knowledge on the subjects:

1. My dealer doesn't have an M340i, just the 330i. I've driven that, and it's great. But, my 335i was the N54 engine (which I loved, when it worked), and I have a turbo 4 now, which is OK, but not great. The 330i turbo 4 is very good, but it's just not the same. There aren't any M340i cars near me, and I wouldn't have a chance to test drive one before buying. I can't imagine being disappointed, especially after having enjoyed the 330i on the test drive. Is there anything I should be aware of about the M340i (drivetrain related) that might be a negative surprise? Throttle mapping? Anything?

2. For me, adaptive cruise control and heating steering wheel are must-haves. Other options, I could take them or leave them. Are there any that are so amazingly great that I should insist on them? Any that are gimmicks or simply overrated that aren't worth it, or should be avoided?

Any other general advice?

Signed,

Possibly Returning to BMW
I would absolutely go for the 340 - the b58 is worth the up charge alone IMO. Throw in the LSD, suspension tweaks and other m goodies and I think it's a no brainer. If the 340 is in the budget, go for it - you won't be left wondering about the "what if".

As for options, I think the HUD is a must. I also recommend the H&K sound upgrade. I think the parking assistant package with the surround view is really nice. As for the other driving aids...I'd say you could do without. Wireless charging/connection is awesome. If you live in a dry/warm climate, then I'd opt for the performance tire package - it gets you the Pilot 4s non-rfts which I'm told are great for improved grip and help with ride quality, too.

Happy hunting and hope you find yourself a winner!
I second u
This powertrain is outstanding. I testdrove m2c and surely It was a little better in gearbox, steering especially. But what s55 really isnt good as b58 is the torque in low rpms. That said s55 still has some disadvantages to b58.
Also I didnt like the m2c in streets too stiff and bouncing for my use that is only road and streets (not tracking).

IMO m340i is the definitive upg over any other 3 series car.
Two months of ownership now.

My only real complaint: The squeaking. On startup, the car squeaks going over bumps and other road imperfections. It lasts for about 15 minutes or so before things settle. It's not the end of the world, but it is frustrating and surprising for a car at this price point.

That aside, I love this car. It's a phenomenal daily driver and I've just passed the 1200 mile break in period and it's been great to open it up a bit. I do wish there was just a tad bit more luxury on the inside, but then it'd essentially be a better handling, somewhat smaller 5er.
Appreciate 1
3erMan153.00