LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
You really need to stop assuming things about people who challenge your position on the future. I just spent the last 15 years of my career implementing new technology as part of the FAA's NextGen Initiative. Before that I spent 5 years implementing ship automation control systems. Giant systems engineering and integration efforts that have vastly improved sailor's and the flying public's daily lives. I was working in cloud computing environments before the coined the term "Cloud". I'm seriously far from being a Luddite. Lol.

Your Tech Goggles are so fogged over, you are missing my point entirely. The crap you are talking about are peripheral apps to two different platforms. Sure there are tech geeks who think it's cool they can program their car to lock the house and turndown the thermostat love the integration. The people who live in an apartment in a 30 year old building who lock one door when they leave, could give a rat's ass. Those are the same folks who can't afford EV.
I am not challenging you on your credentials, at least that wasn’t my intention. I was challenging you on your vision of the future. Even with a tech background that we both share seeing a future that doesn’t logically make sense to us can be challenging.

I’m also in tech and am far far from a Luddite as well. If you took me back to 2007 with the launch of the iPhone I also thought it made no sense. I had a PDA and had them for years and couldn’t understand how a phone without a hardware keyboard even made sense, period. Not to mention the other long list of “missing must haves” that you needed to justify the price point. It took a few years for the picture to be painted for the fog to clear and I was able to go “oh wow I see the value proposition here”.

My point is cars are in that same fog. Right now, the historical vision is Point A to Point B and the “tech” seems to be wasteful additions that don’t really offer a lot of value. Even the smart home stuff I mentioned you can say “sounds cool, but few people have smart homes and fewer people care” and that would be true today. The same can be said for what I mentioned about maps “sounds cool, but people can just use CarPlay or Android Auto and call it a day” and that also would be true. I don’t have a fully painted picture yet of what the value proposition. I can just see it on the horizon.

5G is shifting communication access in cars to being always on, fast, and cheap such that cars can transmit and receive large amounts of data easily and in a connected fashion. EVs being on an always on platform allows the car to leverage its large number of sensors and vast computing power even when “off”…

Right now, we’re nibbling around the edges where we are going to leverage all of this technology for infotainment purposes. I see this as only the start though. Where we will likely end up in a future where cars are able to support “apps” and third party code in a deep and safe manner so we can move to a level where cars will self report pot holes to other cars and towns. Where parking access will be more readily communicated and shared. So forth and so on.

So, I’m not challenging your tech knowledge or credentials, but reminding you that seeing a future that has yet to exist is challenging even more so for those of us who are aware of the challenges to some of those futures. And that challenge isn’t personal. Nor do I assume your alternative viewpoint, which disagrees with me, are personal. Even though you used “stupid” to dismiss my discussion which is generally a personal attack…
Appreciate 1
CamasM3e933224.00