Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications B46/48 Turbo upgrade?

05-22-2024, 01:49 PM   #1
four_pot_petr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 G20 330i

Hello to my fellow four banger friends. I decided to hop on this thread because I need some clarification and just a general discussion on said topic

In the off chance you chose to read this, you may be familiar with a really great guy on YouTube that goes by the name Vehicular DIY. The dude has modded his G20 330i quite well, with mods including:

IPOS 450 Turbo upgrade
IPOS Intake manifold
E85 injection kit
Other miscellaneous things

What I am curious about is if it’s going to last. To summarize what he said, the B46/48 is basically the B58 with two less cylinders… sharing the pistons and connecting rods (if you have any way to prove this feel free to let me know).

With only a turbo upgrade (other mods came in after the dyno), he managed to put down 474 wheel horsepower and 582 torque, but had to de-tune it to 453 wheel and 503 torque because apparently the torque figures were too much for the Z8 gearbox,(also feel free to fact check this below).

However unfortunately after the intake manifold upgrade video he has not posted any new updates, despite saying that a cooling upgrade is on its way. This has been 4 months ago coming up on 5.

So yeah if any of you guys have done something similar to your B46/48 or just have something to add to this please let me know because I was really considering doing the same upgrades. And since Vehicular DIY has gone silent, there isn’t anything/anyone to follow along to.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 11:54 PM   #2
EuroTechny631
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i X-Drive

im subscribed to his channel too, and am hoping the reason he hasn't posted is because he blew it up lol....i agree, it's modded pretty well and he seems to know his BMW's, especially the esys coding, but i guess time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_pot_petr View Post
Hello to my fellow four banger friends. I decided to hop on this thread because I need some clarification and just a general discussion on said topic

In the off chance you chose to read this, you may be familiar with a really great guy on YouTube that goes by the name Vehicular DIY. The dude has modded his G20 330i quite well, with mods including:

IPOS 450 Turbo upgrade
IPOS Intake manifold
E85 injection kit
Other miscellaneous things

What I am curious about is if it’s going to last. To summarize what he said, the B46/48 is basically the B58 with two less cylinders… sharing the pistons and connecting rods (if you have any way to prove this feel free to let me know).

With only a turbo upgrade (other mods came in after the dunk), he managed to put down 474 wheel horsepower and 582 torque, but had to de-tune it to 453 wheel and 503 torque because apparently the torque figures were too much for the Z8 gearbox,(also feel free to fact check this below).

However unfortunately after the intake manifold upgrade video he has not posted any new updates, despite saying that a cooling upgrade is on its way. This has been 4 months ago coming up on 5.

So yeah if any of you guys have done something similar to your B46/48 or just have something to add to this please let me know because I was really considering doing the same upgrades. And since Vehicular DIY has gone silent, there isn’t anything/anyone to follow along to.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 04:17 AM   #3
helmet91
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
I was wondering the same thing... dude fell off the map when it came to YT videos. Hoping he didn't grenade his motor.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2024, 10:09 PM   #4
tylers1027
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 330I

I'm also hoping to get some more info on the IPOS450 turbo. I'm currently running a JB4, downpipe, intake and turbo inlet. I emailed IPOS and they said to take full advantage of the turbo they recommend a femto unlock and tune. If I don't do the tune; what gains would I see bolting this on and running with the JB4? Also is it safe to run this turbo without a real ecu unlock/tune?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 10:02 AM   #5
Mby
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

2020 330i B48TU stock motor and WMI IM450
Results as shown in the picture
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2024, 09:41 PM   #6
EuroTechny631
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
I was wondering the same thing... dude fell off the map when it came to YT videos. Hoping he didn't grenade his motor.
Appreciate 0