Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK BMW M3 vs Alpina B3 vs BMW M340i

05-23-2024, 12:13 PM   #23
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DravitPlay View Post
Based on this video?

M3 Vs M340i Vs B3
Yes, I think so.

It's a brilliant car I guess, don't get me wrong, but just not for me & what I want. Too track focused, and if I was going to track a car which I don't, not sure a near 2 tonne estate would be high up there.

I'm actually glad that I've had the chance to go in it. Too easy to just dismiss it out of hand without trying, and be accused of jealousy/ignorance or what ever gets trotted out. Of course too expensive to buy and too costly to run is a very valid part of it.

But ..... all good things in moderation (so long as it is comfortable!)
      05-23-2024, 12:25 PM   #24
carrera77
Rep
Drives: G21 330i

I wanted the 340i without the x-drive - i think they are (or were) available in the US when I was looking. I would even have taken a slightly derated B58

there is too much a safety factor with AWD.. I had a g31 530d x drive at one point and it was very planted. Could be the fastest car on the motorway but thats its natural home
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 12:31 PM   #25
carrera77
Rep
Drives: G21 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nham68 View Post
Yep … I had choice . I was weighing up M3 touring vs 340i touring vs RS4 avant . In the end , I didn’t want to attract attention.. the m340i is about the best petrol Q car you can get right now …
The M3 touring is pretty Q car as well. Just had a look at one
I dont think any 3 series attracts attention in any negative way.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 12:47 PM   #26
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera77 View Post
I wanted the 340i without the x-drive - i think they are (or were) available in the US when I was looking. I would even have taken a slightly derated B58

there is too much a safety factor with AWD.. I had a g31 530d x drive at one point and it was very planted. Could be the fastest car on the motorway but thats its natural home
As it's not mine, leaving it in AWD. The other option are Sport AWD and 2WD. So you can have your M3 as RWD which is clever.

I know what you mean about safety with AWD, which rather numbs the experience. But TBH more than happy to be over nannyed if it means I don't wrap myself around a tree and get home to see the wife and kids. That also determines my thoughts on 500+ bhp road cars. Too fast for their own good sometimes. Damn!!! I've gotten old.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 01:50 PM   #27
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie (Wessex) View Post
As it's not mine, leaving it in AWD. The other option are Sport AWD and 2WD. So you can have your M3 as RWD which is clever.

I know what you mean about safety with AWD, which rather numbs the experience. But TBH more than happy to be over nannyed if it means I don't wrap myself around a tree and get home to see the wife and kids. That also determines my thoughts on 500+ bhp road cars. Too fast for their own good sometimes. Damn!!! I've gotten old.
Maybe but ……you have gotten old…..and that’s the whole point of life! I dare say considerably wiser too!!
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 03:40 AM   #28
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Maybe but ……you have gotten old…..and that’s the whole point of life! I dare say considerably wiser too!!
Yes that is true..... I like quietness and comfort. I guess that is why Aplina do well. Would love to know the age of who buys the M3 vs B3 and suspect there's a marked difference (though of course that is pure conjecture).

Got an 80 mile trip to an appointment (unless the Mrs goes), so will mostly motorway it. Suspect with the smoother roads and straight line driving, it will be much like any other car. On the way back, it will be prime bank holiday rush hour traffic so will (try to) be cute and go some back roads.....

Funnily enough, I miss my pan roof too, as well as the gearstick (pre-LCi) as the M3 one is a bit weird.
      Yesterday, 03:53 AM   #29
HeebieJeebies
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d xdrive, G22M440i xdri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie (Wessex) View Post
Yes that is true..... I like quietness and comfort. I guess that is why Aplina do well. Would love to know the age of who buys the M3 vs B3 and suspect there's a marked difference (though of course that is pure conjecture
I’m nearly 62, I’d buy one . Probably the average age would be quite high, your age group and above (not exclusive), there’s a few things I don’t like about the B3, aesthetically, wheels and the M3 grille marks it out from the ‘norm’.

After moving from a Mustang to a M440i, I miss the soul of the Muzzer, might get that back with a M3, pure conjecture on my part though.

Enjoy the country roads
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:55 AM   #30
HeebieJeebies
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just to add, it’d be nearly new, low miles, let someone else take a bit of a hit.....
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:00 AM   #31
Riccardog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320i Touring MSport

Interesting thoughts. My G21 is only a 20i but this is "balanced" by my second car, a 911. With family, etc. the 911 isn't used that much, so I sometimes consider the consolidation approach, which would mean one of the above 3 cars.

As a long-term 3 series fan I always dreamt of an M3 Touring. So, part of me wants one just for that. But I hear what you say about the too much aspect, especially re its looks. BMW should take a leaf from Porsche's book and consider the GT3 "Touring". A halo model that looks more like the lesser models, a wolf in sheeps clothing. Suppose this would then become the M3 Touring Touring??

In reality it is the Alpina version, which is probably peak 3 Touring for the real world.

Last edited by Riccardog; Yesterday at 04:01 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:15 AM   #32
Herr Gross Byte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Interesting comments. I don't doubt the M3 is more of an event and better in every aspect apart from suitability. I'd love to try one. If I was to have another M car though I'd want a coupe, not a Touring. That would mean going back to two cars and I can't see a reason to do that. I really can't love the current coupe. My old F82 M4, now that was a beautiful object. The M340i feels just as quick though. I think that's one reason why I'm happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:58 PM   #33
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep

Right I'm back. All pretty uneventful save for when in a traffic jam on the M3 a van came along side and said to rev it. I obliged but was in the softest setting with the valves shut!! Can't have been very impressive! But did catch up with him later when the traffic was flowing, so gave him what he wanted, which my lad said made him happy!!

Going up was about 13 miles free flowing A road, 60 motorway (doing, err, sensible speeds) and then 10 on slower A/B roads. Don't think 32.1 mpg is too bad, and only saw it up to 32.3.

No idea what it is sitting at at the moment, with the x-country blat. TBH after 4 hours in it, I feel absolutely shattered. The engine is a peach. It corners brilliantly and seemingly a lot better than the M340i, though it will be interesting to see when I get it back. Can't compare the brakes as I've got issues with mine. My mate who runs the dealership and took it in, said he almost crashed at the end of his road. Lots of pedal travel, which disappears when you pump it, but reappears almost straight away. But the chassis even in softest setting is just too much for me. OK on motorways as they're smooth. Passable on A roads....most of the time. But B and C roads which I have a lot around me, I just couldn't live with it. Sound though, you can mute pretty much in efficient mode with valves closed. The fakery through the speakers is awful though. Can't work out whether the burbles are real - think not and they're fake. Insulation is good I think, which mutes it a lot as the lad got out and told me to fire it up and it is quite loud.

And those f'ing seats. Christ alive they're nasty.....and it has one squeaky brake!! Oh and I couldn't get directions for Waze (Android Auto) in the HUD.
Attached Images

Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #34
alFR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Good mpg for sure. I guess the comfort / performance tradeoff is kind of inevitable…
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:29 AM   #35
HeebieJeebies
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So from Charlie’s mini ‘road test’, seems the perfect GT in most respects, a proper Euro trip cruiser. Perfect for long hauls down through Germany, France, Spain with a fantastic twisty capability for the Alps

There’s no doubt that the M340 is just as capable as the M3 on such a trip.

But before I shuffle of this mortal coil at least, I’m thinking have one, near supercar capability with the practicality of a family estate, some theatre, some soul and a future modern classic. This’ll certainly be the first and last M3 Touring with a petrol engine, they’ll be an electric type of touring in the future, Christ by all accounts the i4 () is a rocket ship, but for this old petrol head, to own one before its all gone is an appealing option.

The new M5 Touring is an interesting prospect but too big for an everyday performance allrounder IMO.

Oh well, just me then
Appreciate 0