F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Drugs 13
GetBMWParts

11-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Drugs 13

Our son is 13. Very sporty and brainy. Plays for village football team among other things.

Recently sharing with us that one or two of the lads are getting into cannabis. He’s saying “losers” or variations on that. Also his girlfriend is saying it’s going to be offered at parties and she’s not going.

Happy with their attitude and that they’re sharing thoughts, but should I leave it at that / Take a different approach?

Realise unlikly a perfect answer, just for thoughts
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription Pro
2003 Honda S2000
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Does anyone actually go through growing up without trying weed!?

All you can do is advise them against making a habit of it, there’s a massive difference between having a little puff at a party and sitting around smoking it during the day, and obviously to never do it in your house or let you see them doing it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 01:34 AM   #3
stevei
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420i M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
The point is though kids are getting into drugs a lot younger theses days.
In fact kids are getting into a lot of stuff younger these days and i blame a lot of this on social media and the published press as they 'promote' it and put it across as the 'norm'.
hilift72.50
1 AKY459.00
Kingpin4386.50
scostu1623.00
Edinburra547.50
      11-22-2018, 04:13 AM   #4
Ss66
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Son smoked the stuff when he was 18. Spent 3 years in a secure psychiatric unit with drug induced psychosis.
2008 Toyota Yaris sr
2005 e46 320d. 1996 316i.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 04:35 AM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ss66 View Post
Son smoked the stuff when he was 18. Spent 3 years in a secure psychiatric unit with drug induced psychosis.
Jesus that's terrible mate, I hope he's doing better these days?

That is incredibly unlucky though, I'm not sure on the exact statistics but the chances of that happening are extremely minute!
Appreciate 1
Ss66346.00
      11-22-2018, 04:41 AM   #6
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

Seems to be the norm now , people walking around making no attempt to hide the fact they are smoking a joint . I can smell it in the air most nights whilst walking the dog and also from cars whilst sitting in traffic.

It seems to be socially acceptable now meaning the younger generations dont see it as something that is wrong and damaging to their wellbeing.

I did it back in the 80`s with my social (bikers) circle , then i grew up and realised that i did not need a splif to feel normal and i would rather be spending my wages on cars and bikes but unfortunately some of the "circle" chose it as a lifestyle and moved onto the next stage of the drug ladder which has ultimately wrecked their entire work / relationship / home life.

Luckily our kids never seemed to bother with it , or ciggies , and neither did their friends which was a relief for us.

If he enjoys sport then i would have a chat regarding the health side of smoking anything and the long term health implications it may have.

They say that long term cannabis usage can effect you memory but i am not sure about that.

Kenny

PS - They say that long term cannabis usage can effect you memory but i am not sure about that.
Appreciate 1
teaston11001.50
      11-22-2018, 04:47 AM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo67 View Post
Seems to be the norm now , people walking around making no attempt to hide the fact they are smoking a joint . I can smell it in the air most nights whilst walking the dog and also from cars whilst sitting in traffic.

It seems to be socially acceptable now meaning the younger generations dont see it as something that is wrong and damaging to their wellbeing.

I did it back in the 80`s with my social (bikers) circle , then i grew up and realised that i did not need a splif to feel normal and i would rather be spending my wages on cars and bikes but unfortunately some of the "circle" chose it as a lifestyle and moved onto the next stage of the drug ladder which has ultimately wrecked their entire work / relationship / home life.

Luckily our kids never seemed to bother with it , or ciggies , and neither did their friends which was a relief for us.

If he enjoys sport then i would have a chat regarding the health side of smoking anything and the long term health implications it may have.

They say that long term cannabis usage can effect you memory but i am not sure about that.

Kenny

PS - They say that long term cannabis usage can effect you memory but i am not sure about that.
And the other very concerning factor these days is the strength of the stuff now, I guess you, like me, used to smoke resin, and towards the end there was some weed about, but the stuff now is so much more powerful it's really like a class A drug!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 05:32 AM   #8
Ss66
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

And the other very concerning factor these days is the strength of the stuff now, I guess you, like me, used to smoke resin, and towards the end there was some weed about, but the stuff now is so much more powerful it's really like a class A drug!

This.
2008 Toyota Yaris sr
2005 e46 320d. 1996 316i.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 06:10 AM   #9
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

The strength argument is stupid, skunk was the same then as it is now it's just that the availability was much lower so everyone smoked cheap soap bar or diesel. and price back in the 90s was much higher and we were kids so couldn't afford it.

Also the strength argument is stupid because of ALCOHOL. Just because you can go out and buy a bottle of vodka at high strength do you down pints of it? Or do you drink a few pints of beer at 4.5% ?

There's also no direct link that cannabis induces any kind of psychosis that wasn't pre-existing. It may not help people who have existing symptoms that have been undiagnosed, but that does not prove it's the cause either

My credentials? Excess of 30 years experience

Also I don't know what schools you went to but in my secondary school cannabis was available from the first year....

Last edited by rossm; 11-22-2018 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
neilr45.50
      11-22-2018, 06:32 AM   #10
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Medical opinion has swung significantly in recent years towards cannabis causing long-term mental health issues even with moderate use.

There is a wealth of information available these days, and no doubt also a lot of misinformation. Your son seems like a sensible young man but it's easy to get drawn-in to peer pressure recreations. In your shoes I'd have a clear and conversation with him to make sure he's as informed as possible. You can't watch him all the time, but you can help him to make the right decisions.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 06:55 AM   #11
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Well moderate use of just about anything is likely to be bad for you in one shape or form

Sugar, alcohol, whatever
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 07:24 AM   #12
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

My mum took a different approach. She bought a bag of weed (was 18 at the time) , we have attempted to smoke together ..... bags of laughter. Idea was simple , to see whats the fuzz is about and doing it in controlled environment , rather than with shady types behind the school. I didnt touch weed until I was 30 so I guess gamble paid off.

I do cocaine now
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #13
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossm View Post
The strength argument is stupid, skunk was the same then as it is now it's just that the availability was much lower so everyone smoked cheap soap bar or diesel. and price back in the 90s was much higher and we were kids so couldn't afford it.

Also the strength argument is stupid because of ALCOHOL. Just because you can go out and buy a bottle of vodka at high strength do you down pints of it? Or do you drink a few pints of beer at 4.5% ?

There's also no direct link that cannabis induces any kind of psychosis that wasn't pre-existing. It may not help people who have existing symptoms that have been undiagnosed, but that does not prove it's the cause either

My credentials? Excess of 30 years experience

Also I don't know what schools you went to but in my secondary school cannabis was available from the first year....
I should think you're thinking the weed hasn't got stronger is likely due to you having a monumental tolerance to it now!!

I've got an old mate who's been smoking it for around 25 years now and he literally will smoke 4 or 5 spliffs during a round of golf and still play just as well on the 18th as the 1st!!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #14
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Would say your lad and his girlfriend seem to have their heads screwed on right and should be commended for their approach.

From my experience of dealing with the victims of drug abuse for the last 30 plus years my tuppence worth is that

- there’s quite a few who have triggered psychological issues due to drug abuse. Re The it’s pre exsisting/ it’s never happened to me brigade ,it’s a similar situation to smoking. Great and unlikely until it’s one of your loved ones then it’s potentially life changing for you and them.

-There are types of cannabis out there which have been selectively cross bred to have higher THC levels.

TBH it’s never appealed to me and I’ve never tried it despite having had many opportunities.
      11-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #15
antjos1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f30 330i msport

Quote:

All you can do is advise them against making a habit of it, there’s a massive difference between having a little puff at a party and sitting around smoking it during the day, and obviously to never do it in your house or let you see them doing it.
Nope never touched an illegal drug in my life 65 years old. For you to say having a little puff of weed is ok is terrible never never encourage anyone that its ok to do drugs.
Very surprised be your remarks.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #16
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antjos1 View Post
Quote:

Nope never touched an illegal drug in my life 65 years old. For you to say having a little puff of weed is ok is terrible never never encourage anyone that its ok to do drugs.
Very surprised be your remarks.
That's exactly the sort of opinion I'd expect from someone your age, well done for living up to the stereotype!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 03:40 PM   #17
antjos1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ss66 View Post
Sorry to hear about your son.
My son who is now 45 is serving time because of what he was doing to get his drugs.He started on the weed when he was younger but progressed onto anything he can get his hands on. The word smackhead is what he is now.
Lost his partner his kids who have been through hell as myself and wife have . His children who are now older don't want anything to do with him . It's a fucking shame.
Appreciate 1
Ss66346.00
      11-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #18
antjos1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly the sort of opinion I'd expect from someone your age, well done for living up to the stereotype!
Clever cunt
Appreciate 3
teaston11001.50
      11-22-2018, 05:30 PM   #19
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Of course, because drugs weren't around in the 60's and 70's when the poster grew up, your generation invented it obviously.......

Don't ever encourage teens that weed is ok, it isn't. My wife's job is treating young adults with psychosis and about half of them used cannabis at too early an age. The brain isn't fully developed at that age and cannabis use regularly causes mental health issues. Ok after about 18/19, then occasional use isn't supposed to be so bad.

Your comment that psychosis from cannabis use was rare is just plain wrong. My wife's team treats hundreds of people every year in South Yorkshire alone.
Appreciate 1
Ss66346.00
      11-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #20
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Thanks for thoughts and insights all.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 05:52 PM   #21
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Performance Editio

My honest opinion....

Chronic alcohol use and binge drinking is much worse than smoking weed every now and then. If your son is at parties where people are getting belligerent drunk often, then I'd be more worried about the alcohol then the weed.
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #22
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:
Of course, because drugs weren't around in the 60's and 70's when the poster grew up, your generation invented it obviously.......

Don't ever encourage teens that weed is ok, it isn't. My wife's job is treating young adults with psychosis and about half of them used cannabis at too early an age. The brain isn't fully developed at that age and cannabis use regularly causes mental health issues. Ok after about 18/19, then occasional use isn't supposed to be so bad.

Your comment that psychosis from cannabis use was rare is just plain wrong. My wife's team treats hundreds of people every year in South Yorkshire alone.
But is a 65 year old the same age now as when they were in the 70's?!

But yes I do agree 13 is too young, I probably didn't try it until I was 14, and I'm fine, kind of!
Appreciate 0