F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Moving a pension fund out of a DB Scheme
Extreme Powerhouse

06-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #1
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Moving a pension fund out of a DB Scheme

Been looking at this recently and just wondered if anyone else on here had been through the same process?

Have to say the transfer value quoted for a Defined Benefit (DB) pension pot from a former employer has come as a very pleasant surprise and I'm now thinking seriously about moving it to a personal drawdown pension instead. The downside is obviously risk passes from the company pension scheme to me but there are significant advantages in terms of how you can take the pension and, providing a fund can average 7% to 8% growth before fees (which a decent one should), I reckon that will be fine for my circumstances.

On balance I'm therefore leaning towards making the switch but any thoughts on the pros and cons? I'm aware I'll need to demonstrate I've taken independent advice before I can move funds from a DB Scheme anyway but just curious if anyone else has been through the same loop and has any experience they'd like to share (e.g. who's good (or bad!) for giving advice, which funds perform well, etc).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Flyboy-fil
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d B47

Cons....you can run out of money!

This is a huge decision so ensure you get advice from multiple sources. Quite a lot of people where I work have done this, although quite a lot have not. Some took partial transfers to spread their risk a little. You mention 7%, we were given the advice that you really need to be able to live on a 3-4% return so the extra few percent (to take you to the 7) can pay for fees and allow the fund to grow with inflation.

Have you thought about the LTA? A DB pension uses a 20-times multiple for lTA purposes but you may get much more than that if you transfer out meaning you can now bust the LTA whereas you would not had you stayed in. These are all decisions.

Pros You can leave what's left, which may be the whole amount if you've managed to survive on the growth, to your dependants.....or buy a Lamborghini!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Unless the incentive(s) to you are huge, I'd leave it alone. I have a couple of DB pensions and all of my IFAs over the years have recommended leaving well alone.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Been looking at this recently and just wondered if anyone else on here had been through the same process?

Have to say the transfer value quoted for a Defined Benefit (DB) pension pot from a former employer has come as a very pleasant surprise and I'm now thinking seriously about moving it to a personal drawdown pension instead. The downside is obviously risk passes from the company pension scheme to me but there are significant advantages in terms of how you can take the pension and, providing a fund can average 7% to 8% growth before fees (which a decent one should), I reckon that will be fine for my circumstances.

On balance I'm therefore leaning towards making the switch but any thoughts on the pros and cons? I'm aware I'll need to demonstrate I've taken independent advice before I can move funds from a DB Scheme anyway but just curious if anyone else has been through the same loop and has any experience they'd like to share (e.g. who's good (or bad!) for giving advice, which funds perform well, etc).
I looked at it - widowed, so want whatever is left when I have done drawing to go to kids not to be swallowed up by the scheme to cover their deficits! - bit my scheme didnt come back with good valuations (not much different to the 20x multiplier used for LTA) so the IFA said they would not be able to justify it. Will look again in a few years just in case....

I'm happy to take the risk for the potential to leave the rest to the kids if I dont live to a ripe old age (if I do they will be using it for my home anyway...) as I will be doing that with the DC schemes I have had since....and I have to manage that money appropriately....
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #5
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Unless the incentive(s) to you are huge, I'd leave it alone. I have a couple of DB pensions and all of my IFAs over the years have recommended leaving well alone.
Exactly this. Just been through this exercise myself. My FIA also said you need a very, very compelling reason to move the pot.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #6
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

The default position on this for most people is don't do it so be hyper careful before you sign up for anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
Ss66
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Interesting thread, both me and my wife have a FA coming round tomorrow. We both have DB pensions hers is a recent one from her last employer 600k transfer value. And mine is from a previous employer, which when I can get my hands will be a new M5. will hopefully be looking at a drawdown pension for both.
2008 Toyota Yaris sr
2005 e46 320d. 1996 316i.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
Ss66
Captain
Rep

Our main concern is that if anything happens to the wife, will what's in her pension go with her. If it's left in her current scheme.
2008 Toyota Yaris sr
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #9
Hanchurch
Captain
Rep
Drives: tesla model 3 performance

I got advice on this recently, obviously depends on your age, financial situation and attitude to risk but I am keeping it where it is. There is a reason why they are offering such massive transfer valuations!
Past - Mini Cooper S 7 5 door, BMW 120d m sport, Saab 9-3 2.8 V6 turbo, Mazda RX8 231, Mini Cooper S
Appreciate 2
Ss66346.00
      06-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #10
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ss66 View Post
Our main concern is that if anything happens to the wife, will what's in her pension go with her. If it's left in her current scheme.
That will depend on specific rules of scheme - most have a spouses pension at about half of the full pension. My scheme had a rule that would only pay to spouse at time of leaving so even if I married again (unlikely!) they would not get a spouses pension. So moving out to something that goes to kids if I dont live for 20 plus years from retirement sounded sensible - but not on a TV multiple of 20....
Appreciate 1
Ss66346.00
      06-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #11
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far!

Received wisdom was always that a DB Scheme was like gold dust (and therefore best to hang on to it if you've got one) but I do think there are reasonable arguments the other way which is why I'm investigating the draw-down option further. However, rest assured I won't be moving anything without taking expert advice and receiving a recommendation to do so!

In terms of there being a reason for transfer values being high at the moment, there is and from my understanding a lot of it is to do with low base rates which in turn impact assumed returns on low-risk government gilts and bonds. Those instruments are what are assumed to fund a large proportion of the defined benefits in a DB pension scheme and therefore the lower the returns the larger the pot needs to be to provide the benefit.

I suspect there may also be an element of pension schemes being happy to see people leave because if life expectancy increases the pressure on the schemes will invariably increase as well. However, from what I can gather the main reason for the current high transfer values is (in effect) low base rates (and if that changes in the coming year it may be that transfer values are now as good as they're going to get to look for quite a while).

To give a bit of context to transfer values, unfortunately I got divorced almost exactly 10 years ago and by coincidence left the company with whom my DB pension was with shortly afterwards. I had to get a transfer value for my pension as part of calculating the asset values for the divorce and the figure I'm being quoted now is 6 times what it was 10 years ago despite next to no additional contributions in the meantime. Thankfully we agreed a clean break so ex-Mrs JNW1 has no claim on the increased pension fund!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #12
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobB View Post
Indeed the reason is very straightforward.

Firstly we need to understand what a pain in the arse defined benefit schemes are to the finance director. Notoriously, the vast majority of schemes are in defecit. This defecit has to be shown on the companies balance sheet.Ouch!
Secondly, the deficits are extremely volatile, subject to movement in the stock market and longevity, by way of example. Just what you don't want on the balance sheet. Double ouch!

Given the above, there is a move by some companies to 'buy out' the members. In other words, keep increasing the Cash Equivalent Transfer Value until it's an offer too good to refuse.

This is what happened in my case. My CETV was already looking tempting, then within a period of six months, the trustees increased it by another £70,000 in an attempt to get me to piss off.

I took the money
From what I've gleaned there's a process which needs to be adhered to when calculating transfer values for DB Schemes as the figure has to be seen as fair to both the person potentially looking to leave and those who remain in the scheme. I'm sure that "fairness" will only have to fall within an acceptable range - and hence there won't be only one possible, correct, figure - but equally I don't think trustees are able to offer any number they choose just to bribe members to leave!

There are some calculators online which allow you to enter the pension projected from your scheme at 60 or 65 and from that it gives you a range within which your transfer value is likely to sit; what I'm being offered is just about bang in the middle so it feels like it's neither brilliant nor awful (and therefore quite possibly fair!).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #13
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
From what I've gleaned there's a process which needs to be adhered to when calculating transfer values for DB Schemes as the figure has to be seen as fair to both the person potentially looking to leave and those who remain in the scheme. I'm sure that "fairness" will only have to fall within an acceptable range - and hence there won't be only one possible, correct, figure - but equally I don't think trustees are able to offer any number they choose just to bribe members to leave!

There are some calculators online which allow you to enter the pension projected from your scheme at 60 or 65 and from that it gives you a range within which your transfer value is likely to sit; what I'm being offered is just about bang in the middle so it feels like it's neither brilliant nor awful (and therefore quite possibly fair!).
Just beware that getting it signed off by an IFA requires you to show clear reasons and no undue risk - at a transfer value of 20x give or take my IFA couldnt event start to justify so he walked away with no fee....
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #14
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I have read about people being offered 50x the starting pension level, which does seem excessive and quite worth doing. I imagine 30x is more normal for a 60 year old.

Can I ask those who have either done this, or been given a figure from the trustees, what multiple have you been offered, and what were the basic terms of your pension (age 60, CPI increase, 5 year guarantee, half pension for spouse....)?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #15
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Just beware that getting it signed off by an IFA requires you to show clear reasons and no undue risk - at a transfer value of 20x give or take my IFA couldnt event start to justify so he walked away with no fee....
Excuse my ignorance but is that 20 times by reference to the pension you'd expect to receive at normal retirement age from the scheme? For example, if normal retirement age with a scheme is 65 - and the projected pension at that point is £40k/annum - are you saying a transfer value would need to be well over £800k (i.e. 20 times £40k) for it to be attractive/worthwhile?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #16
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance but is that 20 times by reference to the pension you'd expect to receive at normal retirement age from the scheme? For example, if normal retirement age with a scheme is 65 - and the projected pension at that point is £40k/annum - are you saying a transfer value would need to be well over £800k (i.e. 20 times £40k) for it to be attractive/worthwhile?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #17
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobB View Post
I got 50x when I moved the monies earlier this year. Aged 54 years

Pension was NRD 60, 2/3 spouses, 5% or RPI, min 3% escalation, can't remember the guarantee.
Interesting thanks.

I have one DB pension from my first graduate job where I stayed just over 5 years. I would certainly take 50x as I am very used to investing for myself.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      06-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #18
Ss66
Captain
Rep

Will be interesting to see what our IFA says tomorrow. As my wife has a high CETV, given she's still 13 years away from 65.
2008 Toyota Yaris sr
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #19
JNW1
Major General
Rep

By all means flame me for the inappropriate use of man-maths but I'm honest I'm more looking at what I need to be comfortable and working backwards from that!

Rough figures using online calculators suggest that at age 55 I could take a lump sum of 10% up-front and, providing the remaining fund then returns around 7-8% before fees, that would give me roughly what I need lasting well into my 90's (which is apparently beyond my life expectancy anyway!). In the event the pension pot ran out - and the other half and I were still alive and kicking - I think I could then use equity drawdown from the house to fund our remaining years (or that one-way trip to Switzerland!).

In contrast, if I leave my DB fund where it is, there's no way the pension payable will enable me to retire at 55. In addition, for me one of the big disadvantages of these schemes is they pay the same in real terms at 85 as they do at 55 when in reality your capacity and desire to get out and do things is probably less. The idea of being able to access your money when it's more use to you therefore has its appeal IMO although I do concede my view is perhaps being coloured by seeing the way vascular dementia has affected my dad in later life....
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #20
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
providing the remaining fund then returns around 7-8% before fees, that would give me roughly what I need lasting well into my 90's
I don't think it's safe to rely upon a 7-8% return. It may happen, but I wouldn't base your plans on that unless you have options that you are happy to take to fill the gap - downsize, equity release, reduce living costs...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #21
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
In my case 20x the pension at NRD expressed in today's money ie as if I was 65 now. I was 53 when I got the quote, 12 years to retirement.

At 40 times I would have gone through with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #22
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Trading certainty, for (high) risk.
An intersting thought given you can’t go back and this is your income for a fair portion of your life. How many here took a fixed rate mortgage at some point? How many are disappointed with the equity at the end of their pcp? All very minor financial decisions compared to a pension
All you need is another stock crash, and that will happen, and it could be game over.

Back to my previous post, where you can have an approach to risk, my FIA said he’d want a 95% positive, certain reasons to move a DB pension but may take even a 50/50 approach to other investments.
Appreciate 0