Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Exhaust and Intake,

12-20-2022, 08:49 AM   #1
ng20_
Rep
Drives: 19' 330i xDrive M Sport

Exhaust and Intake,

Looking to do a CAI and something to up the exhaust note to improve the volume burbles etc. The only problem is, I'm debating getting the powertrain plus warranty...

For CAI I'm leaning towards MST or Dinan. Dinan from a visual perspective looks a little better and has a little less induction noise. MST from a sound perspective, sounds great, a little heavy on the induction... but that's where the exhaust comes in later.

I'm looking to improve the exhaust note but maintain the function of the valves. Axelback seems doable with this thought in mind. The only ones I can find that kinda trust are Dinan, and Megan (only one review).

Questions:
What are your thoughts on both CAI and Axelbacks?
Do you need to run the windows down to hear Dinan?
How is the induction noise with the MST vs Dinan, from IRL standpoint? I've heard that the Dinan is louder in person than in videos. I'm not the biggest fan of the massive induction noise that I have heard with the MST, but I like the louder turbo spool. If the induction noise was clouded with the axel back a little I think that might be the best option
I am also thinking about putting a turbo inlet pipe on it, but not sure if it was worth the 200-300$
With the Axelback, would you hear the MST and/or Dinan CAI (Dinan I would assume might be tougher as it is softer in sound)? So does that mean that the Axelback and the MST are the perfect combo?
With the Powertrain plus warranty, would either of these mods void the warranty?

I was also looking to possibly do the JB+ down the road... I assume that it would definitely void the warranty. If I were to remove it before any inspection, will they know it was there? Would I need to do any other modifications as well with the JB+ to deter any possible damage?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 07:28 PM   #2
MaddasMaxx
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i '21

Garage List
I have the Dinan axel back exhaust, which makes quite a good note. I don't have an intake on the car so I am not sure how well you can hear it with the exhaust, but with the stock intake, you can hear induction noise over the exhaust.

The Dinan sounds fine with the windows up but to really experience it you need the windows down at least a little.

I don't believe any of the mods listed void the warranty, but that's just at my dealer.

I am selling my Dinan exhaust right now as I am selling the car to upgrade to a B58, and it is posted in the Members Classifieds.

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine if you remove JB4 before servicing, but if they suspected that engine tuning had been done they could look into the computer and see what the boost levels were for all of the car's life.

I hope I helped a bit!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 10:01 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Warranty is not an issue with intakes as they do not add any stress on other car components.

If the looks are a priority, Dinan is the way to go.

If sound is more important to you and you want a loud intake, then you should get an open intake like MST

Note Dinan is still louder than stock; it's not a night and day difference but loud enough to be noticeable.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 09:57 PM   #4
G20_BSM_M340
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Like Mike said, your warranty will be fine. I'm running the Dinan CAI and Active Autowerke exhaust with mine and the sound is so much better.

You can hear the Dinan CAI with the windows up. It's not extremely loud but noticeable. With the windows down you'll hear it a lot better. The Active Autowerke pairing is great with it. It's louder and deeper than stock but not obnoxious. It's still valved so the early mornings are good for my neighbors but when they're open it's a significant improvement.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0