Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Brand new Jb4 throws drivetrain malf right out of the box

07-14-2022, 10:07 PM   #1
M340Brizzy
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i xdrive

Garage List
Brand new Jb4 throws drivetrain malf right out of the box

Just received my brand new jb4 for my 2022 bmw m340ix. Disconnected both the 12v and 48v batteries and followed the instructions on burger motorsports website to a T. Re connected both batteries. As per the instructions the jb4 is preset to map 1 so thats where i left it. fired the car up and noticed the guages in the app do not respond however it did indicate map 1 was on. I took the car out on a test drive and the driver assistance malfunction popped on. I noted it and continued on the test drive. Partial throttle and the drive train malfunction came on and vehicle went into limp mode. I attempted to read the codes and it stated invalid connection. I deleted the codes and it still said invalid connection but the fault went away. I then attempted a second go easing into the throttle and same issue drivetrain malfunction. I disconnected all the jb4 connections and put the car back to stock and cleared the faults. I the. Reconnected the jb4 connections again this time leaving the wastegate harness portion un used and tucked away. Drove the car in map 1 and the drivetrain malfunction did not come on instantly but getting on the highway it popped back on. Once again disconnected the jb4 connections and put the car back to stock this time re installing my jb+ that i took out to install the jb4 . re installed my jb+ and the car drove as it did before no issues. So far my experience is not what was expected. Any thoughts gents?
      07-15-2022, 10:53 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

You either did not install the Jb4 correctly, or you have a defective unit.

please send the install pictures to BMS

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 12:21 PM   #3
M340Brizzy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
You either did not install the Jb4 correctly, or you have a defective unit.

please send the install pictures to BMS
Yeah I'm in talks with BMS now i sent pics and all appeared correct as per the BMS tech support. We got it to not throw the drivetrain malf now by leaving the EWG harness untouched in stock form. Gauges still are not responding. Making some progress.
      07-15-2022, 12:24 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340Brizzy View Post
Yeah I'm in talks with BMS now i sent pics and all appeared correct as per the BMS tech support. We got it to not throw the drivetrain malf now by leaving the EWG harness untouched in stock form. Gauges still are not responding. Making some progress.
Let us know how it goes

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 03:24 PM   #5
M340Brizzy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Let us know how it goes
Made more progress over here. I sent a few screen shots of my app showing no response. They wrote back pointing out the firmware that was installed on the device is incorrect. Turns out it came set up for a kia 🥴. I was advised to update to the alpha firmware. Did that and boom the gauges are now operational. This is still with the EWG harness still in stock form. I emailed them about that and the response was that the drivetrain malf was most likely due to firmware. Im going to plug that EWG harness in when the car cools down later and verify everything works 100%.
      07-15-2022, 03:28 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Made more progress over here. I sent a few screen shots of my app showing no response. They wrote back pointing out the firmware that was installed on the device is incorrect. Turns out it came set up for a kia 🥴. I was advised to update to the alpha firmware. Did that and boom the gauges are now operational. This is still with the EWG harness still in stock form. I emailed them about that and the response was that the drivetrain malf was most likely due to firmware. Im going to plug that EWG harness in when the car cools down later and verify everything works 100%.
Nice

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 08:12 AM   #7
totalone
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 e45, M440

Quote:
Just received my brand new jb4 for my 2022 bmw m340ix. Disconnected both the 12v and 48v batteries and followed the instructions on burger motorsports website to a T. Re connected both batteries. As per the instructions the jb4 is preset to map 1 so thats where i left it. fired the car up and noticed the guages in the app do not respond however it did indicate map 1 was on. I took the car out on a test drive and the driver assistance malfunction popped on. I noted it and continued on the test drive. Partial throttle and the drive train malfunction came on and vehicle went into limp mode. I attempted to read the codes and it stated invalid connection. I deleted the codes and it still said invalid connection but the fault went away. I then attempted a second go easing into the throttle and same issue drivetrain malfunction. I disconnected all the jb4 connections and put the car back to stock and cleared the faults. I the. Reconnected the jb4 connections again this time leaving the wastegate harness portion un used and tucked away. Drove the car in map 1 and the drivetrain malfunction did not come on instantly but getting on the highway it popped back on. Once again disconnected the jb4 connections and put the car back to stock this time re installing my jb+ that i took out to install the jb4 . re installed my jb+ and the car drove as it did before no issues. So far my experience is not what was expected. Any thoughts gents?
How did you run jb4? Through the firewall or door panel?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 11:39 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalone View Post
Not sure about OP , i run it through the door panel cz I'm lazy

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 07:58 PM   #9
M340Brizzy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah i went through the firewall [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

07-17-2022, 08:34 PM   #10
totalone
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah i went through the firewall [IMG][/IMG]
nice. can you be kind enough and show me where at in the engine bay it goes through?
      07-26-2022, 10:21 AM   #11
BeemerBaron
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
nice. can you be kind enough and show me where at in the engine bay it goes through?

Last edited by BeemerBaron; 07-29-2022 at 03:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 10:46 AM   #12
totalone
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingray View Post
https://youtu.be/vpF0QED-ga0
Thank you!
      07-27-2022, 09:52 AM   #13
mike@x-ph.com