BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

07-25-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
Solarium
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Cross-shopping the C8 Corvette with the G82/G83 M4

The new 2020 C8 generation Corvette looks impressive. I know it's only a 2 seater, mid-engine, completely different class than the M4. But what you guys all think? Even the base model as of right now can easily beat the upcoming M4 AWD (and completely smoke the RWD). Come 2021 the M4 will be totally outclassed by the Z06.

I've driven the last gen C7 Z06 and as well as the base Stingray each for a good few days, and was very impressed by it. The magnetic ride of the Z06 and its lateral G's was incredible. The only thing that bothered me truly was the interior which was pretty bland and cheap feeling compared to my M4. Now that's changed with the new C8 gen as well, the interior is vastly improved over the previous gen and the look mimics the 458 Italia quick a bit, which is one of my favorite cars of all time.

It will be a serious consideration for me, as I don't really need the rear seats and the trunk space yet. The C8 base Stingray will be cheaper than the M4, and the Z06 will be within my price range as well. It will be a serious contender for me for the next gen M4.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 10:01 PM   #2
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
The new 2020 C8 generation Corvette looks impressive. I know it's only a 2 seater, mid-engine, completely different class than the M4. But what you guys all think? Even the base model as of right now can easily beat the upcoming M4 AWD (and completely smoke the RWD). Come 2021 the M4 will be totally outclassed by the Z06.

I've driven the last gen C7 Z06 and as well as the base Stingray each for a good few days, and was very impressed by it. The magnetic ride of the Z06 and its lateral G's was incredible. The only thing that bothered me truly was the interior which was pretty bland and cheap feeling compared to my M4. Now that's changed with the new C8 gen as well, the interior is vastly improved over the previous gen and the look mimics the 458 Italia quick a bit, which is one of my favorite cars of all time.

It will be a serious consideration for me, as I don't really need the rear seats and the trunk space yet. The C8 base Stingray will be cheaper than the M4, and the Z06 will be within my price range as well. It will be a serious contender for me for the next gen M4.
I liked your story! Oh right ... u did ask what what we think early on.

If you don't mind climbing in and out of a low car and into race seats, don't drive on horrendous roads all the time, are okay with a less nice interior but enjoy the tech (digital display, DCT, PDR), don't mind the extra attention (always get good and bad) and feel the need for speed ... the Vette should be a good option. It'll be a huge performer for price but you'll lose some of that comfort in the M4. I actually traded my F80 6MT for a Camaro and thought it felt so much more like a sports car (made the M3 shifter feel weak and rubbery, clutch felt super light, the seats, brakes, tires, throttle response, engine note, suspension and adjustability of the suspension and exhaust were all better to be honest... =more drama and more fun to drive). I got tired of it after a while and I've been through a lot of cars looking for a perfect car. I haven't found one. I'm currently considering either an F80 as my single car or splitting duties and having a truck for daily driving and to tow my track/sports car (C8, GT4, etc). The value of having an M3 is pretty high because it's the best and most fun car that I can pick the kids up in (or for you, your buddies or girls or whatever) and then put a set of track wheels across the back seat and then go to the track and go pretty fast .... but still get passed by the vettes and Camaros driven by similarly skilled drivers.

Total tossup!

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 11:11 PM   #3
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If you are in the position to get an automatic transmission mid engine sports car, I don't see why you wouldn't get the C8. The car is an absolute bargain for what you get. I'd still get it with the full leather interior and MagneRide at the very least. Magnetic Ride suspension is miles better than the adaptive suspension in the M3. I got a 2017 Chevy SS and the suspension feels like it was tuned by the gods. It's got an excellent Tremec transmission as well. Definitely better than my F30.

The things you'd have to get over: flashiness, impracticality, and GM build quality. Regardless of how much leather they put on the car, it won't quite be as good as a German interior. If they improve on the C8 as much as they improved going from C6 to C7, though, I bet it'll be more than tolerable.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
Solarium
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

The magnetic ride is absolutely fantastic, and the C8 fixes one of the biggest problem with the C7 with the new DCT. The C7 changed gears so slow you often hit redline limiter before it changed to the next gear. I wished M4 stayed with DCT but instead they changed to automatic. When I have kids I'll be driving a M5 anyway, and I don't ever find my M4 to have the back seats used, or even the trunk for that matter. The most I'll ever put in my trunk will be my backpack and possibly a carry on luggage. I've always wanted a 911 GTS, which is also impractical and much more expensive than the C8. Yes, I'll def notice the GM quality interior, but will it matter if I'm having so much fun driving it. I think the best to tell is just to rent one for a week and see how it's like, since the base C7 vette and even the Z06 are easily rented from Hertz at a reasonable price. It'll be harder to tell with the new gen M4 tho, as they are never rented out unless you use Turo. A problem with the C8 is that I bet there will be tons of them around, so def won't feel as exclusive, although M3/M4's are pretty common too.
Appreciate 1
M3DrS7.00
      07-26-2019, 10:44 PM   #5
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

In my younger years, I always yearned for a corvette and swore I would one day own one but as I got older, I just found the attraction of a do it all vehicle like the M3 to be more attractive. The M3 as a sedan is still, in my opinion, a perfect vehicle. Does everything and can pass off as an adult car. But I will say that for those looking into a coupe, the C8 is a vehicle that finally makes it a rational decision to move away from an M4. The interior finally looks special. Similar price, wow factor, special feel, etc. I would say the only minus is there is no way to stay hidden in the new C8. It is bold and I can't see driving it every day, which is really what i need. But it is so different that I could see myself making an exception. The convertible looks even more desirable. Great job, GM.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      07-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #6
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MW/SO

I'm really tempted by the C8, but I daily my F80 and I don't think I could give up iDrive. Not having to deal with fingerprint smudges on an unresponsive touch screen, or a nav system that requires me to look up an address in my phone first (why not just use phone nav at that point?), has been bliss in the near four years I've been driving it.

The system on the C7 seems ancient in comparison from what I've seen in videos, and I don't expect vast improvements on the C8. I've been spoiled.

Last edited by Vetkin; 07-30-2019 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 02:46 AM   #7
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

If you don't need the back seats (or have another sedan/SUV for family duties) and don't mind not having MT, then the C8 should be no brainer.

I've read that Chevy might offer MT by wire, but my response to that is huh? Why bother with the fake clutch pedal when the whole point of MT is to feel the mechanical connection/engagement?
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #8
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

C8 is going to be rad. Sat in one at a dealer event and have to say the interior was at least as nice as my F80 (I have full leather). I think to option it how you want it will be ~$80k so it'll line up square with the M3/4. Obviously a little less practical but potentially a lot more fun.
Appreciate 1
Russkey154.50
      08-06-2019, 02:08 PM   #9
6MTFTMFW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i 6MT

Garage List
2019 BMW 440i  [0.00]
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I guess if they offered a proper MT I'd like one. But I really never considered a corvette as a daily driver. M3/M4 does that job much better. Personally, as everyone said, by the time you spec it the right way it will hit 80-85K and I'd rather be looking at a year or two old 911 C2S for that kinda money.
      08-07-2019, 01:31 AM   #10
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

80-85k gets you into zo6 territory. I'm sure Chevy just like all the generations before will make plenty and the Corvette volume dealerships will be selling them for way under msrp. When I was cross shopping a c7 z51 and a M2 in 2016, I saw plenty of dealerships around the nation selling the zo6 in the mid 70s. The zo6 came out as a my2015, and granted a few of them caught on fire at the track in the early years, most m4/Corvette owners aren't tracking them anyways lol
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:27 AM   #11
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypeanut View Post
80-85k gets you into zo6 territory. I'm sure Chevy just like all the generations before will make plenty and the Corvette volume dealerships will be selling them for way under msrp. When I was cross shopping a c7 z51 and a M2 in 2016, I saw plenty of dealerships around the nation selling the zo6 in the mid 70s. The zo6 came out as a my2015, and granted a few of them caught on fire at the track in the early years, most m4/Corvette owners aren't tracking them anyways lol
Shopping at the right Corvette dealership would net you big savings on Z06s and even regular stingrays. The C8 though is a big change and I think at least for the first 2 model years will not get put on those big sales. First year is already sold out and it hasn't even hit dealerships. My guess you will need to get to $75k to get the Z51 package, mag ride, and a couple of aesthetic upgrades which for a car that will be under 3 seconds to 60, mid-Engine looks, V8 rumble, and probably will our handle most cars on the road, is pretty inexpensive. This new corvette will bring new people into the corvette family for sure.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #12
Mdoa
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

From the spec seem like C8 is a good car, but so far, I would not consider C8 until it has the manual version (Maybe it will never happen). In addition, M3 is more suitable for me since I like to do outdoor activities. I know M3 is not an ideal car for outdoor activities, at the very least, it is still better when comparing with C8.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #13
6MTFTMFW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 440i  [0.00]
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Here's the explanation provided by Corvette engineer himself for why no MT

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-transmission/
      08-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #14
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MTFTMFW View Post
I guess if they offered a proper MT I'd like one. But I really never considered a corvette as a daily driver. M3/M4 does that job much better. Personally, as everyone said, by the time you spec it the right way it will hit 80-85K and I'd rather be looking at a year or two old 911 C2S for that kinda money.
I am not sure what your definition of the right spec is, but the way I am going to spec it, I'd be highly surprised if it is over $75k.

Here's the link to the order guide.

The 2LT trim, which carries most options I would want (and then some), will probably be priced at around $5k over the base. Add in the Z51 package, which has most of the performance upgrades I would want, and you are still at around $70k. Add in a few options here and there, and you are still comfortably at $75k. That's still a bargain of the century for a mid engine car.

No one knows how much the G80/G82 will cost, but considering the F82 already started at $70k, I wouldn't be surprised, it was priced at $73k, or roughly what I would pay for a well-optioned C8 with Z51.

I am not going to debate you on the merit of comparing it to a used Porsche, but if you are willing to go the 2nd hand route, then let's just say the price of the 2 year old C8 is going to be very favorable against the 2 year old 992 S.
Appreciate 2
Ilyam5888.50
      08-07-2019, 11:27 PM   #15
6MTFTMFW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 440i  [0.00]
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
I am not sure what your definition of the right spec is, but the way I am going to spec it, I'd be highly surprised if it is over $75k.

Here's the link to the order guide.

The 2LT trim, which carries most options I would want (and then some), will probably be priced at around $5k over the base. Add in the Z51 package, which has most of the performance upgrades I would want, and you are still at around $70k. Add in a few options here and there, and you are still comfortably at $75k. That's still a bargain of the century for a mid engine car.

No one knows how much the G80/G82 will cost, but considering the F82 already started at $70k, I wouldn't be surprised, it was priced at $73k, or roughly what I would pay for a well-optioned C8 with Z51.

I am not going to debate you on the merit of comparing it to a used Porsche, but if you are willing to go the 2nd hand route, then let's just say the price of the 2 year old C8 is going to be very favorable against the 2 year old 992 S.
It’s all hypothetical for me since there’s no MT option. But I’d have to research how well Corvettes hold up after 2 years before I compared it to used 911.
It’s great to know that it’s closer to 70 than 85 though
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 12:31 AM   #16
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MTFTMFW View Post
It’s all hypothetical for me since there’s no MT option. But I’d have to research how well Corvettes hold up after 2 years before I compared it to used 911.
It’s great to know that it’s closer to 70 than 85 though
Very much agreed.

Until I can see each car in person and test drive, it's all hypothetical. Very much looking forward to test driving the C8 and the G80.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 08:08 AM   #17
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The thing is though ... how many people are buying an M4 because of its unrivaled performance? It's a quick car but it's much more than that, especially for the M3 crowd and a fully functional back seat.

If folks are buying the M for a great dual purpose car, it's going to be a little bit harder of a transition to the C8. Totally understand lusting after its performance and looks, but it's going to be much lower (climbing in and out), much less usable space inside, lower body work (easier to scrape/crack the bumper), etc etc which all are going to be a bit change from the M4/3.

I cross shop weird stuff (M6 vs Raptor for instance) so I get it... just wanting the coolest & most desirable car for the money sometimes is the most important criterion, but when it comes down to it, I wonder how many folks will really go the C8 route after an M3/M4. As much as I like the C8, there are lots of compromises there for daily use.

Appreciate 2
mkoesel7505.50
      08-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #18
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep

Agree with everything you said, and that's why I am still around here rather than the C8 forum.

Ideally, I need the G80 to replace my G30, not my E92. So, the G82 isn't even in the race for me since I need usable backseats.

However, if the G80 flops (any combination of performance, driving dynamics, weird looks, etc.), then I am keeping the G30 and replacing the E92 with the C8.

If all goes to hell, then maybe I'll somehow figure out a way to put car seats in the 992.

There was a time when my long-departed Z4MC was good enough to get me by as the only car (and the C8 would fit that mold), but having to install car seats is today's reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
The thing is though ... how many people are buying an M4 because of its unrivaled performance? It's a quick car but it's much more than that, especially for the M3 crowd and a fully functional back seat.

If folks are buying the M for a great dual purpose car, it's going to be a little bit harder of a transition to the C8. Totally understand lusting after its performance and looks, but it's going to be much lower (climbing in and out), much less usable space inside, lower body work (easier to scrape/crack the bumper), etc etc which all are going to be a bit change from the M4/3.

I cross shop weird stuff (M6 vs Raptor for instance) so I get it... just wanting the coolest & most desirable car for the money sometimes is the most important criterion, but when it comes down to it, I wonder how many folks will really go the C8 route after an M3/M4. As much as I like the C8, there are lots of compromises there for daily use.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #19
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Agree with everything you said, and that's why I am still around here rather than the C8 forum.

Ideally, I need the G80 to replace my G30, not my E92. So, the G82 isn't even in the race for me since I need usable backseats.

However, if the G80 flops (any combination of performance, driving dynamics, weird looks, etc.), then I am keeping the G30 and replacing the E92 with the C8.

If all goes to hell, then maybe I'll somehow figure out a way to put car seats in the 992.

There was a time when my long-departed Z4MC was good enough to get me by as the only car (and the C8 would fit that mold), but having to install car seats is today's reality.

Quote:

got car seats in my new Camaro SS 1LE. It's not pretty but enough to work in a pinch when my wife needs me to get the kids from school or we all want to take a rip around town. I was super close getting an M2 but the 1LE just puts a smile on my face with the drama it provides and it feels really predictable and tame compared to the ZL1 I test drive. I was afraid the M2 would leave me wanting drama... SS 1LE leaves me wanting some other stuff (being able to relax once in a while on the highway, being able to see any of cars around me, navigation) but it does offer a ton for the price with plenty drama.

Maybe I'll skip the G80 and get an X5M to still get my BMW/M fix and use it to tow the 1LE to the track ...

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #20
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

got car seats in my new Camaro SS 1LE. It's not pretty but enough to work in a pinch when my wife needs me to get the kids from school or we all want to take a rip around town. I was super close getting an M2 but the 1LE just puts a smile on my face with the drama it provides and it feels really predictable and tame compared to the ZL1 I test drive. I was afraid the M2 would leave me wanting drama... SS 1LE leaves me wanting some other stuff (being able to relax once in a while on the highway, being able to see any of cars around me, navigation) but it does offer a ton for the price with plenty drama.

Maybe I'll skip the G80 and get an X5M to still get my BMW/M fix and use it to tow the 1LE to the track ...

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 01:59 AM   #21
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep

For those that are interested, it looks like C8 pricing has leaked already.

1LT = $59,995 including Destination Fee
2LT = $67,295 including Destination Fee
3LT = $71,945 including Destination Fee

Z51 = $5,000

Mid-$70k gets you a fairly well optioned C8.

Source:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 06:11 PM   #22
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

I don't think the G82 M4 is coming out until 2021. I believe the 4 series is going into production July 2020, so next M4 in 2021.
Appreciate 0