Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Presenting the BMW 4 Series Coupe Concept (G22)!

09-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #727
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drj161 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Damn all prior front ends look so dated now. Seeing them like this really highlights that it was time for a major change. At his current time and into the future no doubt I prefer the new concept.
I feel the same way. SCOTT26 alluded to this as well. It'll be interesting to see how many people register for the forum around the time that the new cars are made available to the public with threads titled, "New to BMW and I just picked up my new 4/M3/M4...." ...or, "Long time lurker, but I finally joined the family. Pics of my new 4/M3/M4."
I know many people will get it, but I went back to the concept f32 reveal and the forum was generally very positive. It was well received and BMW really pumped out the amazing f82. Really not sure if the g8x will do as well in the future.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=775876
I agree about the reception. That I cannot dispute, but people well above our respective pay grades obviously saw something in the stats. This is a major move by BMW; a move that wasn't whimsical (...which is another reason why comments about this concept being a ruse, a joke....or a ploy confound me). This isn't a game. This is a major automotive marquee that was used to smashing the completion for at least 10 years straight, only to witness Mercedes dominate them the last three years (...and thankfully the X SAV's and the new 7 have helped claw back some market share). That is not something this company is accustomed to. Something had to change.
Maybe they should start with building better cars. :

Most of their lineup sucks to be honest. I walk into dealerships now and just shake my head. My wife's X3 does the job buts it's not a great car. It's the baby car that my wife wanted.

Beaver grilles will NOT help BMW.
...and maybe BMW's previous approach was its own worst enemy.

I feel the same way that you do when I walk into a dealership now. Nothing is really that inspiring to me outside of the ///M3 and ///M4, and to a lesser degree, the ///M2C. Gone are the days where I liked nearly every model......but I'm only one buyer. I'm not sure where the chasm began, but somewhere, somehow BMW shifted into a phase of largely uninspiring designs. Even the new 3 is simply boring to me. This new 4 is striking; it is going to grab your attention for better or for worse (....of course most on this forum will say the latter). It will be a conversation piece. It will be aggressive. I don't love it, but I do have an appreciation for it.......more today than I did upon initially seeing the renders. The more I look at it, the more it starts to come together for me......and I've been looking at it intermittently all day. Maybe the designer(s) went through a similar process. Who knows!?! What I do know is that this car has buzz; people are talking, albeit somewhat negatively now, but I reckon that will change. It's bold, brash.....risky, but that's part of the allure. Some ask, "Why?!?, while others simply....just......look. It takes awhile to take it all in. I looked at my F82 tonight and felt like it aged overnight. For the first time ever it felt old. Don't misinterpret that as a criticism. I love it to death, but I would be remiss if I weren't honest when I relay my thoughts to this forum. I want to see the new 4/M4 in the flesh. I'll likely stare for a significant amount of time just as I did when I first saw a YSB F80 ///M3 while awaiting the arrival of mine back in 2014. Yas had me questioning the same way this new grill does. It didn't quite sit right with me initially, but I was drawn to it. Every photo or video captured it a bit differently. I drove all the way to San Diego just to stare at that YMB F80 for over an hour. Anyways, I'm teetering on tangentiality now.
Much easier to fix a color issue than a design issue.

This car might look good to A FEW people from certain angles, but once they stare at it head on, they realize it's got a beaver teeth/buttcheeks thing going for it.

Not sure why they chose to make this the only M car that has a fucked up front end, distinguished from the rest of the M lineup.

F80 generation was striking from any and all angles. I guess there was a drastic change of designers recently in the M design department.
Changes.....possibly. It isn't just about new designers; it's a new philosophy. It's unmistakable that this is what BMW decided to do as a company. This is their forward motion, and the cues have been there for quite some time. The front end of the new X7 looks far worse to me, but it's selling well. X1 through X7 models account for over half of BMW's total U.S. sales. Big grills are moving.
I'd say crossovers and SUVs are selling, the grills probably don't help but it's an industry trend that BMW has decided to follow.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #728
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
well, looks like i'll be keeping the F82
F82 looks sooooo old in comparison. Dated like the E46.

New 4 series looks amazing
Are you paid to defend bmw or what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
well, looks like i'll be keeping the F82
F82 looks sooooo old in comparison. Dated like the E46.

New 4 series looks amazing
Are you paid to defend bmw or what?
No I just like the new look. Progress.
Appreciate 7
bjcarls458.50
Adris134.50
Sedan_Clan24818.50
xlover2191.00
JTO245246.50
BMWRL596.00
      09-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #729
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ F30 View Post
How does BMW go from this, to this?
By taking lots of drugs.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 06:59 AM   #730
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompilerGuy View Post
I am actually warming up to the front but the side and rear are just horrendous. We lost the Hofmeister kink and the lower line of the windows is sloping up which we are not used to seeing on BMWs traditionally. That rear end is just straight up ugly, do not know what is happening with the diffuser, tail lights and the bumper so overall the rear requires a whole redesign.
I could see myself warming up to the front end eventually... The only problem is every time I look at it I feel like I'm being mooned.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #731
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
If u think it’s ugly now - just wait once ppl put front plate in middle
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #732
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
If u think it's ugly now - just wait once ppl put front plate in middle
It would probably be affix to the side, like my friend's Alfa.. And that's a "factory" mount they provided.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #733
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
Honestly, if nothing else I'm really glad that BMW is changing its design language. The F30/F32 and G30 already look dated as hell. If you told me the G30 came out in 2010 when the F10 debuted, I would believe you. I think BMW must feel the same way if they're scrapping it and moving on so soon.

edit: Jason just agreed and they're in Frankfurt so that means BMW's agreement confirmed :P
Stop making up stories. G30 will remain in production until 2023. Dated? Ha! It looks restrained and classy, like every 5er before it (Maybe the E60 being the exception).

Go and hate on something else.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #734
kc52ar
AR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 M3 Fzn Wht, 21 M340i xDrv

A beautiful car is one that is balanced, one that enjoys a harmonious play between its shape, detailing and mechanical underpinning, one that feels as good at the wheel, or to ride in, as it does to look at in magazines or on the road. But the New 4 series’s overly large and exaggerated kidney design is way out of proportion that shows no grace nor harmony. Grace and Harmony can coexist with Progress!

Last edited by kc52ar; 09-11-2019 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #735
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Name:  trump.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  133.6 KB
      09-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #736
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
A word from a designer on this enigmatic creation; forward to 1:01:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B2Pl05r...d=twjx4d7ei81n
People in denial that these large kidney grills are the way forward should listen to him......as many times as it takes to get it through their heads that THIS is the new Bimmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
Quote:
Great post man!
Just press the "appreciate" button instead of quoting a novel's length post.
Naw, I'll quote it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #737
ap*
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlazierGlaze View Post

Black grilles doesn't make it look so awful.
Better... now I need to see it with a black paint job to mask it even more. And maybe a licence plate frame that breaks up the grill
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #738
theone_06
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW x5m 2015

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Her: Hi and welcome to Porsche
Me: Thanks
Her: I see you drive an old BMW
Me: Yes they made me quit with the new design
Her: You are at the right place now
Appreciate 6
Wmzorba09325.50
paliknight2186.50
Foodle25.50
alex23642846.50
      09-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #739
MPSdriver
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
And for the 47th some odd f*ckin time i ask, why the hell they couldnt have just gone w these grills/this look. Its a much smoother less harsh progression and omg, its also wayyyyy better looking. These guys draw too many cartoons and not enough real cars nowadays, what a shame ...
BMW is keeping this baby as inspiration for the 2 series coupe
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #740
nublu2u
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS

The designer says 'unique', world says ugly.

I'm still in denial, might get to acceptance, will never think it's good looking.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #741
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Photoshop someone made of slightly smaller grilles
That's not bad. Maybe a tad smaller. Hopefully someone from BMW is reading this thread...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #742
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
So do yall think the grille will keep the chunky chrome (or black or whatever) border? I think it's vital to the success of the aesthetics of the front end.
[img]https://bimmerpost.imgix.net/goodies...45_highRes.jpg[/img]

If it looks like the older bimmerpost rendering where the grills are more flush to the body, I think it would really suffer. Looks more like the grilles are pasted on instead of sculpted into the car.
[img]https://cdn.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1566539797[/img]

SCOTT26 already mentioned that the hood line is unfortunately not going to be like the concept so it won't follow the lines of the grille. I assume it will be like the hood line on the rendering. So I think that makes it even more necessary to have the thick border on the grille with the slats sunken in. Maybe Scott can chime in since he's seen the production car. I have a bad feeling that they're gonna un-concept the grilles and make them more generic looking, just gigantic. The concept grilles look expensive as fuck lol.
There's a possibility that some of the dazzling chrome will be reduced for production, but at the same time, most BMW's come with obnoxious chrome appointments, so the chrome surrounds will likely make it to production. What will change are the innards of the grill; horizontal slats rather than the concept mesh, and a slightly redesigned shape IF we are to go by the spy pics with what seems to be the production version of the grill (...which seems to be closer to the shape depicted in the renders). Time will tell. The concept mesh may by more appropriate for the G80/82/83 or the M Performance catalog.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #743
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Damn all prior front ends look so dated now. Seeing them like this really highlights that it was time for a major change. At his current time and into the future no doubt I prefer the new concept.
I feel the same way. SCOTT26 alluded to this as well. It'll be interesting to see how many people register for the forum around the time that the new cars are made available to the public with threads titled, "New to BMW and I just picked up my new 4/M3/M4...." ...or, "Long time lurker, but I finally joined the family. Pics of my new 4/M3/M4."
I know many people will get it, but I went back to the concept f32 reveal and the forum was generally very positive. It was well received and BMW really pumped out the amazing f82. Really not sure if the g8x will do as well in the future.

I agree about the reception. That I cannot dispute, but people well above our respective pay grades obviously saw something in the stats. This is a major move by BMW; a move that wasn't whimsical (...which is another reason why comments about this concept being a ruse, a joke....or a ploy confound me). This isn't a game. This is a major automotive marquee that was used to smashing the completion for at least 10 years straight, only to witness Mercedes dominate them the last three years (...and thankfully the X SAV's and the new 7 have helped claw back some market share). That is not something this company is accustomed to. Something had to change.

Most of their lineup sucks to be honest. I walk into dealerships now and just shake my head. My wife's X3 does the job buts it's not a great car. It's the baby car that my wife wanted.

I feel the same way that you do when I walk into a dealership now. Nothing is really that inspiring to me outside of the ///M3 and ///M4, and to a lesser degree, the ///M2C. Gone are the days where I liked nearly every model......but I'm only one buyer. I'm not sure where the chasm began, but somewhere, somehow BMW shifted into a phase of largely uninspiring designs. Even the new 3 is simply boring to me. This new 4 is striking; it is going to grab your attention for better or for worse (....of course most on this forum will say the latter). It will be a conversation piece. It will be aggressive. I don't love it, but I do have an appreciation for it.......more today than I did upon initially seeing the renders. The more I look at it, the more it starts to come together for me......and I've been looking at it intermittently all day. Maybe the designer(s) went through a similar process. Who knows!?! What I do know is that this car has buzz; people are talking, albeit somewhat negatively now, but I reckon that will change. It's bold, brash.....risky, but that's part of the allure. Some ask, "Why?!?, while others simply....just......look. It takes awhile to take it all in. I looked at my F82 tonight and felt like it aged overnight. For the first time ever it felt old. Don't misinterpret that as a criticism. I love it to death, but I would be remiss if I weren't honest when I relay my thoughts to this forum. I want to see the new 4/M4 in the flesh. I'll likely stare for a significant amount of time just as I did when I first saw a YSB F80 ///M3 while awaiting the arrival of mine back in 2014. Yas had me questioning the same way this new grill does. It didn't quite sit right with me initially, but I was drawn to it. Every photo or video captured it a bit differently. I drove all the way to San Diego just to stare at that YMB F80 for over an hour. Anyways, I'm teetering on tangentiality now.
I'm never going to come around to this new design language never. I agree with you that the new M340 is bland and whatever. I drove in one when I picked up my car at the Performance Center a few months back. Didn't do anything for me BUT I didn't hate it.

I HATE THIS. This isn't what drew me and many others to the brand that's for sure. So glad I grabbed one more F82 spec'ed exactly how I wanted. I think deep down I knew my "relationship" with BMW was coming to end at least for now.

Honestly can you guys see Joe Blow walking into a dealership and saying "boy what a beauty I need that car"? The answer is Hell no.

I started looking at baby convertible seats that fit in a 911 if that is any indication where I'm gonna be at in the near future. I'll put golf clubs in the front seat. Fuck it.
Actually I can see the average Joe/Jane buying this car. Many buyers want what is new/exciting. Many buyers want to be the first to have something. Put it in perspective; we have buyers willing to pay insane mark-ups just to be the first to have a popular car or truck (...be it a BMW, Ford Raptor, etc.)......and make no mistake about it, these new cars will pop up on this forum. People claiming they won't buy the car will buy the car.
Appreciate 1
Jason40302.50
      09-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #744
Bme30
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
My e30 just gained more value!!! Thanks to this hideous design, my e30 is just getting better and better!
Thanks you BMW for creating this grotesque over exaggeration of a car!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #745
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm never going to come around to this new design language never. I agree with you that the new M340 is bland and whatever. I drove in one when I picked up my car at the Performance Center a few months back. Didn't do anything for me BUT I didn't hate it.

I HATE THIS. This isn't what drew me and many others to the brand that's for sure. So glad I grabbed one more F82 spec'ed exactly how I wanted. I think deep down I knew my "relationship" with BMW was coming to end at least for now.

Honestly can you guys see Joe Blow walking into a dealership and saying "boy what a beauty I need that car"? The answer is Hell no.

I started looking at baby convertible seats that fit in a 911 if that is any indication where I'm gonna be at in the near future. I'll put golf clubs in the front seat. Fuck it.
Actually I can see the average Joe/Jane buying this car. Many buyers want what is new/exciting. Many buyers want to be the first to have something. Put it in perspective; we have buyers willing to pay insane mark-ups just to be the first to have a popular car or truck (...be it a BMW, Ford Raptor, etc.)......and make no mistake about it, these new cars will pop up on this forum. People claiming they won't buy the car will buy the car.
Time will tell. That's for sure. It's a lot of coin to plunk down on this monstrosity.

I hope it sells like shit and they redesign quickly. Wishful thinking and all.

The model 3 looks better then this car and that thing is a hunk of shit.
Nothing wrong with wishful thinking. If sales are underwhelming, they could rethink design for the car that will replace it. If sales are a success (...and only BMW knows what target numbers would determine that), the language will push forward. IF this car sells well, BMW will have pulled off the hat trick of the next decade.

This isn't BMW's first bout with design controversy and it won't be their last. Bangle's designs were polarizing in their own regard. Today, people appreciate them much more than they did while in the moment. The E60 5 and ///M5 are excellent examples of that. Polarizing in their day, but they've aged well and people appreciate them.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #746
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bme30 View Post
My e30 just gained more value!!! Thanks to this hideous design, my e30 is just getting better and better!
Thanks you BMW for creating this grotesque over exaggeration of a car!
....now THIS is wishful thinking.
Appreciate 1
Wmzorba09325.50
      09-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #747
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
So Jason, I'm curious.......did you see the car before the official reveal? You've been so spot on with renders over the years that I just had to ask.
Do you really have to ask ? Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post
Idk, I think I would rather take these front grilles.
Wait for the production version.

It won't be as wild as the concept. Just like the M8 concept was much watered down into the M8.

Bmw marketing in the 2000s.

Pre-marketing on the ring.
Pre-marketing photos via Bimmerpost
Grand changes presented on concept.
Minor changes on the street going model.
Hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #748
GordoCLM
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
If u think it’s ugly now - just wait once ppl put front plate in middle
.. in the middle of the base model without M Sportpacket