siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
ESYS G20 coding - getting started

CODE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Disclaimer: I am not a BMW "coder", and I honestly have very little experience. Below are the details I was able to find online and through exploration, and I decided to share everything that I found. If something is wrong or incomplete, please let me know.

There is evidence that suggests BMW detects coding and automatically flags your car as modified which could spell potential trouble with future warranty claims.
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1742168

Getting Started

Esys is the software you need to interface with your car and code it. However, a few years back BMW obfuscated the data in Esys. In order to be able to make any sense of the information in Esys, you now need a launcher program. The two main ones are EsysX and Launcher Pro.

EsysX
Can be found at https://esysx.com/. I am not familiar with EsysX but it is similar to Launcher Pro from what I have read.

Launcher Pro
it is outdated, do not use it to code G series anymore

Esys Software and instructions

Once you have EsysX, it's time to get Esys. Almaretto has a great post detailing everything you need to setup Esys here - https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/c...#post-10193333

Shortcuts from the link above

Coding instructions

Once you have all the software installed, go here - https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=983245 for information on how to code with Esys.

Cheat Codes

Scroll down to section "5. Cheat Sheets" here - https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=983245. Cheat sheets are not relevant to the G series as they have moved to XML format

*Note
If you have issues updating cheat codes, go to - https://github.com/packetpilot/bmw-f/tree/master/cheats - and downloaded the repository as a ZIP.

G20 Coding

You can view what I have coded in a more readable format at - https://github.com/siegester03/bmw-g-series-coding

So far, I have successfully coded the following:
  • Remove legal disclaimers (HU_MGU cheat)
  • m startup animation (HU_MGU cheat)
  • ASS memory (dme cheat, code with engine off)
  • ASD off (RAM cheat)
  • air con memory (IHKA cheat)
  • video in motion (HU_MGU cheat)
  • close trunk from fob (hkfm2 cheat)
  • close trunk from door switch (hkfm2 cheat)
  • Coasting (HU_MGU cheat)
  • Speed Correction (dkombi cheat)
  • 5x Turn Indicator (HU_MGU cheat)
  • Lane change assistance (hu_mgu, sas cheat)
  • Comfort+ Mode (HU_MGU and BDC_BODY3 cheat)
  • Auto activate heated steering wheel when cold (hu_mgu, bdc_body) This was enabled from the factory for me when I was updated to 07.2020
  • comfort+ mode (bdc_body cheat)
  • enable sailing (bdc_body cheat)
  • anti-dazzle/no glare high beams (BDC_BODY3 cheats)
  • independent rear turn indicators (EU style but still red)(BDC_BODY3 cheats)

Testing/Verifying
  • Flashing Brake Force Display (bdc_body cheat)
  • full SMS display (hu_mgu cheat)

Does not work on the G20 due to hardware limitation
  • Seat heat distribution

G20 items without cheat codes
Code:

Feature                           ECU          Property                         Value            
auto steering wheel heat          HU_MGU       AKT_Auto_Lenkrad                  aktiv
                                  BDC_BODY     LHZ_CCM_IKF                       aktiv
                                  BDC_BODY     IKF_ENABLE                        ikf_alle_sitze

lane change assistance            BDC_BODY     SPURWECHSEL_ASSISTENT             aktiv
                                  HU_MGU       SPURWECHSELASSISTENT              gen_1
                                  SAS2         C_SWA_VORHANDEN                   NR001_VORHANDEN
*Note: any feature not found in the table above is already available through the cheat code authors I mentioned.

Note: Codes above are based on 2020.07 software version, and they may not work on other versions
Attached Images

Last edited by siegester; 04-17-2021 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 13
RSnic657.50
Rev_Hi296.50
B530e283.50
kevinkay270.00
cujc144.50
ASHpro11.50
oreoOozZz126.00
Fedorov160.50
Cpatel38.50
      11-27-2019, 06:42 AM   #2
AtticusHoy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjof2003 View Post
So I finally spent some time in esys today, and I successfully coded the following:
  • Remove legal disclaimers (all)
  • m startup animation
  • ASS memory
  • ASD off
  • air con memory
  • video in motion (need to test)
  • close trunk from fob and door switch
  • lane change assist
  • full SMS display

I also was able to enable the seat heat distribution menu, but it would not allow me to set values. It even acted as though only the driver's seat had seat back heating, with the other 3 seats only have seat bottom heat.

I found a 5x turn indicator option, but it didn't seem to work. Anyone got this to work?

There was no sign of HUD indicators, which wasn't surprising given the DKOMBI.

I played around with the ///M and Alpina gauges, but didn't like them. I couldn't find the right combination of settings for the new M8 style gauges though. I also didn't find the correct settings to keep the tach in the HUD. So I went back to stock for these.
Thanks for the photos and info! Are there any other items in particular you'd like to change?

I just started coding with E-sys (I was thirsty for the driving assistance view), and I'm eager to do some more customizing.

My dream list is:
1. Heated steering wheel and heated seats turn on when using remote start.
2. Increase the amount of time I can keep my hands off the wheel while using driving assistance plus mode.
3. More stuff in the HUD. Maybe blind spot monitoring or park distance info.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
azwillnj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

How did you get the heated seat distribution?

What does the full SMS display look like? I think I already have this.

WE ARE!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 01:35 PM   #4
siegester
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusHoy View Post
1. Heated steering wheel and heated seats turn on when using remote start.
3. More stuff in the HUD. Maybe blind spot monitoring or park distance info.
I am looking to see what I can find and enable in the HUD.
I'd also like to find all the proper settings for the ///M dash and hud (if possible)
I see some people are able to shortcut certain items and put them on their home screen which I am not (like tire pressure/temp, among others), so I am looking to enable those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwillnj View Post
How did you get the heated seat distribution?

What does the full SMS display look like? I think I already have this.
I updated the original post with the keys that need to be updated (IIRC to aktiv). The menu does nothing though, so I turned it back off. I don't think our seats are setup to be able to use this feature sadly. I really hoped I could make it more towards the bottom as my back will be sweating while my bottom is still cold. I will try manually adjusting the temperature settings to fix this I guess (there are 6 settings, 1 for each heat level, top and bottom IIRC)

I will test and get a picture of that. I need to test VIM still too.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2019, 03:47 AM   #5
klokan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i, Portimao Blue

Quote:
I updated the original post with the keys that need to be updated (IIRC to aktiv).
Would you be kind enough to write keys for every change you made, especially ASD?

How do you rate the change, is it really obvious when ASD is turned off?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
siegester
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klokan View Post
Would you be kind enough to write keys for every change you made, especially ASD?

How do you rate the change, is it really obvious when ASD is turned off?
I added more info to the top post. As for ASD, yes, it is very noticeable. I was expecting a change, but was honestly shocked at how much quieter the car became with it off.
Appreciate 1
klokan104.00
      11-30-2019, 04:34 AM   #7
klokan
Private
Rep

Quote:
I added more info to the top post. As for ASD, yes, it is very noticeable. I was expecting a change, but was honestly shocked at how much quieter the car became with it off.
Thanks!

Now just to figure out how to use Launcher.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #8
siegester
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks!

Now just to figure out how to use Launcher.
what issues are you having?

Also, I was able to enable a few more features today. I also got cheat codes to load up in Esys finally.
  • Coasting
  • Flashing Brake Force Display (need to test)
  • Speed Correction
  • Auto activate heated steering wheel when cold
  • 5x Turn Indicator
  • Lane change assistance
  • Comfort+ mode

Last edited by siegester; 11-30-2019 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #9
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Hey can you please share speed correction and what do you mean by that?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 05:49 PM   #10
siegester
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
Hey can you please share speed correction and what do you mean by that?
Setup the cheats as mentioned in the first post, and then open the DKOMBI module. You should see it as an available cheat to be applied.

From the factory BMW programs the speedometer to read higher than actual speed (for legal insurance). This makes it show the actual speed instead of the higher speed
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 01:24 AM   #11
klokan
Private
Rep

Quote:
what issues are you having?
Also, I was able to enable a few more features today. I also got cheat codes to load up in Esys finally.[/LIST]
I have an issue of not having Launcher Pro. Guy is not answering to the emails obviously and I don't know how to get it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #12
siegester
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
I have an issue of not having Launcher Pro. Guy is not answering to the emails obviously and I don't know how to get it.
If he doesn't respond, then you likely missed a step or detail, reread his instructions carefully. He responded to me in less than 2 days with my access code (this was ~10 days ago)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:51 PM   #13
oreoOozZz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM X3MC

Very nice, I just coded a few of these things as well. One thing I can't find is the automatic steering wheel heating activation. Can you clarify the key/value for that?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:34 AM   #14
siegester
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreoOozZz View Post
Very nice, I just coded a few of these things as well. One thing I can't find is the automatic steering wheel heating activation. Can you clarify the key/value for that?
I updated the table. Let me know if that works. I have a 3rd value in my notes, but i'm not sure it's related as it references seats. I think it was from trying to get heated seat distribution and i put the note in the wrong spot.

BDC_BODY >> IKF_ENABLE >> ikf_alle_sitze
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #15
tommytexter
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Quote:
Getting Started
Start here - https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...php?p=10193333

Once you have all the software installed per the link above, go here - https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=983245

I had issues getting Launcher PRO to update the cheat codes, so I went to - https://github.com/packetpilot/bmw-f/tree/master/cheats - and downloaded the repository as a ZIP. I then extracted the contents of the cheats folder to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\TokenMaster\E-Sys Launcher PRO\FDLCodes

Then, in Launcher Pro I selected the Authors I wanted to load. The following are Authors are good to start with for g20 coding (s18a):
  • Almaretto
  • jokinawa

So far, I have successfully coded the following:
  • Remove legal disclaimers (all)
  • m startup animation
  • ASS memory
  • ASD off
  • air con memory
  • video in motion (works using jokinawa's cheats and instructions)
  • close trunk from fob
  • close trunk from door switch
  • full SMS display
  • Coasting
  • Flashing Brake Force Display (need to test)
  • Speed Correction
  • Auto activate heated steering wheel when cold
  • 5x Turn Indicator
  • Lane change assistance (I already had assisted driving view from the factory, thanks to Marcelo_BSB)
  • Comfort+ Mode (these settings are also also selectable in ECO PRO individual)

Items I am still researching
- Seat heater distribution
--- I was able to enable the seat heat distribution menu in Idrive, but it would not allow me to set values. It even acted as though only the driver's seat had seat back heating, with the other 3 seats only have seat bottom heat. I also enabled 2 settings in BDC_BODY to allow the distribution to be set for front amd rear, but I also saw some settings stating there was only 1 controller per seat, so it may not be possible to get this working. Anyone know of any other settings to check?
- Enable blue lights in headlamps (laser lights)
- full LED headlight brightness (EU spec)
- full Laser light brightness (EU spec)
- full ///M gauges, HUD, idrive settings, etc. current implementations I have seen are not complete
- heated seats via remote start (i believe i need to disable the seatbelt check for this, but haven't found it yet)
- heated steering wheel via remote start

Code:

Feature                           ECU          Property                                       Value            
seat heat distribution rear       HU_MGU       HVAC_SEATHEAT_DISTR_FOND                        aktiv
seat heat distribution front      HU_MGU       HVAC_SEATHEAT_DISTR_FRONT                       aktiv

auto steering wheel heat          HU_MGU       AKT_Auto_Lenkrad                                          aktiv
                                  BDC_BODY     LHZ_CCM_IKF                                                  aktiv

lane change assistance            BDC_BODY     SPURWECHSEL_ASSISTENT                     aktiv
                                  HU_MGU       SPURWECHSELASSISTENT               gen_1
                                  SAS2         C_SWA_VORHANDED              NR001_VORHANDEN
*Note: any feature not found in the table above is already available through the cheat code authors I mentioned.

Sorry about upside down photo, it wasn't that way on my pc when I uploaded it.
Thank u so much for sharing

- full Laser light brightness (EU spec)
- full ///M gauges, HUD, idrive settings, etc. current implementations I have seen are not complete
- heated seats via remote start (i believe i need to disable the seatbelt check for this, but haven't found it yet)
- heated steering wheel via remote start

Let us know once u figure out how to do these or if they're possible. Much appreciated!!!!!
      12-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #16
oreoOozZz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM X3MC

Quote:
I updated the table. Let me know if that works. I have a 3rd value in my notes, but i'm not sure it's related as it references seats. I think it was from trying to get heated seat distribution and i put the note in the wrong spot.

BDC_BODY >> IKF_ENABLE >> ikf_alle_sitze
Gonna try that out when I get home, thank you sir. I tried to code VIM even with cheat codes but to no avail. Soon as you put it in drive or start moving, it cuts off. How about you?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 11:34 AM   #17
blazesquall
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 m340i, G30 m550i LCI

Quote:
I am having same issue. I double checked.. thought the process was straight forward. Have you heard back?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #18
haruny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazesquall View Post
Quote:
I am having same issue. I double checked.. thought the process was straight forward. Have you heard back?
Same here. No response from tokenmaster. Can't get launcher pro.
      12-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #19
L3nny5
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruny View Post
Same here. No response from tokenmaster. Can't get launcher pro.
If you did everything like Tokenmaster asked you to, then you don't have to worry. But you might need some patience.

For me it took about 3-4 mths until I heard back from him, but that was during a time, where nobody heard from him. So I guess you'll hear from him pretty soon.

He is very reliable! Just please don't write him angry mails, he is doing everything in his free time and doesn't gain anything out of it. All the money goes to charity!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #20
haruny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny5 View Post
If you did everything like Tokenmaster asked you to, then you don't have to worry. But you might need some patience.

For me it took about 3-4 mths until I heard back from him, but that was during a time, where nobody heard from him. So I guess you'll hear from him pretty soon.

He is very reliable! Just please don't write him angry mails, he is doing everything in his free time and doesn't gain anything out of it. All the money goes to charity!
3-4 months??

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #21
siegester
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreoOozZz View Post
Gonna try that out when I get home, thank you sir. I tried to code VIM even with cheat codes but to no avail. Soon as you put it in drive or start moving, it cuts off. How about you?
You have to follow the instructions that jokinawa posted. Push the idrive controller forward and hold it. While holding it push MEDIA, HOME, MEDIA and you should be prompted to disable it. I had to try a few times for some reason, but it did work.

Reference

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=11
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #22
blazesquall
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 m340i, G30 m550i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny5 View Post

Thanks for the anecdote. Makes sense. I'm in software, I understand side projects, especially ones you're not making money off of. I'll let it be for awhile. I wonder if export mode via Bimmercode Beta can do some of these.
Appreciate 0