Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Picked up my new 330e - Fuel consumption and electric range tested

02-19-2020, 09:36 AM   #507
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
A strange one this morning. I started off with a full charge as usual and a 38km range. I drove to work entirely on petrol in sport mode but when I arrived 10 minutes later the range had dropped to 33km even though I hadn't done any driving on electric. How did that happen??
I'm wondering if it still uses the electric auxiliary heater, in the warm up phase, (like the other ICE models). That will soon knock off a few EV miles. A bit like not preconditioning and the miles penalty.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #508
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

The thing I am wondering is the break-in mileage as suggested by BMW (before you should floor it basically), should be 2500km but is that just for the ICE?
I have 5500kms now but less than 1000kms on ICE so technically the engine is not broken in?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 02:33 PM   #509
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
The thing I am wondering is the break-in mileage as suggested by BMW (before you should floor it basically), should be 2500km but is that just for the ICE?
I have 5500kms now but less than 1000kms on ICE so technically the engine is not broken in?
Not really bedded in, and likely not the best use while running in either.

This will be the same for many users, who try and run EV for much of their mileage.

My experience with many engines over the years, engines can perform better after 10,000 or more miles. That will take years for some users.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 02:42 PM   #510
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazman View Post
I am running my battery control at 100% and it seems to be giving great results with regards to battery drive. As I understand it it uses 100% of the charge so to speak.

I travel the distance to and from work on battery almost 100% of the time( 50km forth and back)

However I feel sorry for the ICE, it usually starts when I have a very short distance left. Today it started 300m from our house :S
Are you saying that you’re getting 100km on a single charge? What mode are you driving in?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #511
Mazman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: slow

My bad, I was not clear enough.
The total distance is a little bit more than 50km.

Longest I have been able to travel on one charge in electric mode is 58.7km.

I more or less always drive in electric mode

Quote:
Are you saying that you’re getting 100km on a single charge? What mode are you driving in?

Last edited by Mazman; 02-19-2020 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:27 PM   #512
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
My bad, I was not clear enough.
The total distance is a little bit more than 50km.

Longest I have been able to travel on one charge in electric mode is 58.7km.

I more or less always drive in electric mode
I don't get it. You can get 58km to a charge and I get 28km. It can't be temperature related as Sweden is probably even colder than here. Have I got a dud battery I wonder?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:37 PM   #513
Mazman
Private First Class
Rep

With regards to the range there are multiple factors that impacts the range.

We can start with the battery control as that is easier to check as a start. What is your value set for that option? Not sure how much impact this has but in order to be able to compare.

If you are not sure you just press the button above the start-stop button and that will take you to the battery control menu and you can see/set the value.

Quote:
I don't get it. You can get 58km to a charge and I get 28km. It can't be temperature related as Sweden is probably even colder than here. Have I got a dud battery I wonder?
      02-20-2020, 01:50 AM   #514
zamsaz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330e G20

Hey,

I also live in sweden have the same issue.
I work on battery development, so perhaps I can give you an answer to help you out.

You drive your car short distances everytime right?
10 km each way , all starting from about 5 Celsius.

The battery is designed to work above room temperature, hence the battery will intentionally consume energy to rise to the target temperature. Once there you ll get good and efficient performance, like all th eother people posting, which most likely get those range figures (ca 50km) from a single ride and battery preconditioned.

So to be honest, you ll never get their range with your daily driving scenario. Best you ll get out of it is about 35 Km in winter. Summer should be better.

In short, ther eis nothing worng with your car.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 02:02 AM   #515
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamsaz View Post
Hey,

I also live in sweden have the same issue.
I work on battery development, so perhaps I can give you an answer to help you out.

10 km each way , all starting from about 5 Celsius.

The battery is designed to work above room temperature, hence the battery will intentionally consume energy to rise to the target temperature. Once there you ll get good and efficient performance, like all th eother people posting, which most likely get those range figures (ca 50km) from a single ride and battery preconditioned.

So to be honest, you ll never get their range with your daily driving scenario. Best you ll get out of it is about 35 Km in winter. Summer should be better.

In short, ther eis nothing worng with your car.
Thank you - that’s a relief!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 02:05 AM   #516
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
With regards to the range there are multiple factors that impacts the range.

We can start with the battery control as that is easier to check as a start. What is your value set for that option? Not sure how much impact this has but in order to be able to compare.

If you are not sure you just press the button above the start-stop button and that will take you to the battery control menu and you can see/set the value.
It’s set at 80% but I don’t think that’s relevant. It is about keeping a certain percentage until you want to use it but it only applies if you drive in battery save mode. In other words it doesn’t work in the background if you’re in electric mode or hybrid mode etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 02:24 AM   #517
Mazman
Private First Class
Rep

As I have understood it controls how much charge is to be available at your destination. With the setting 80% then 20% charge is to be available at your destination? Mine is set to 100%

Also are you setting your destination in the GPS on you drives? I do it all the time.

Quote:
It’s set at 80% but I don’t think that’s relevant. It is about keeping a certain percentage until you want to use it but it only applies if you drive in battery save mode. In other words it doesn’t work in the background if you’re in electric mode or hybrid mode etc.
      02-20-2020, 05:21 AM   #518
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
As I have understood it controls how much charge is to be available at your destination. With the setting 80% then 20% charge is to be available at your destination? Mine is set to 100%

Also are you setting your destination in the GPS on you drives? I do it all the time.
I usually don't set the GPS - I do sometimes but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Re. the Battery Control, if it only works when you're in Battery Control mode then it doesn't matter what percentage it's set at if you're not in that mode. If you were in Battery Control mode and set it at 100% then your entire journey would be done on petrol as it would preserve 100% of battery power until you wished to use it (by going over to Hybrid or Electric mode).
I think!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:49 AM   #519
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamsaz View Post
10 km each way, all starting from about 5 Celsius.
I also see this use, as the crucial part of the consumption variable.

I don't see it much different than driving ICE. We don't get the same economy driving a multiple of short distances, from cold starts, than we do starting once cold and running say 5-litres of fuel.

For me the difference is we don't typically run ICE, filling say 5 litres at a time, plus limit use to 4-litres, to preserve a litre. EV focuses the mind on the where the energy goes.

The ICE range is typically more hidden with multiple cold starts, and short trips, the average may be lower, than longer runs, but not so obvious as a limited EV range.

Plus the EV cold starts are so energy hungry, no benefit of waste heat as we have with the ICE as we add miles.

I'm interested in the 'recovery' time/mileage for an EV to get to the most efficient kW/100km, from a cold start. ICE can take 20 miles (or more) to get back to a consumption average, from a 5°C cold start.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:50 AM   #520
tn1krr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
I usually don't set the GPS - I do sometimes but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Re. the Battery Control, if it only works when you're in Battery Control mode then it doesn't matter what percentage it's set at if you're not in that mode. If you were in Battery Control mode and set it at 100% then your entire journey would be done on petrol as it would preserve 100% of battery power until you wished to use it (by going over to Hybrid or Electric mode).
I think!
You are correct. Even if one wants to save significant portion of battery to be used later I would not set it to 100% when driving in Battery Control mode as this would mean there is no room to store/use regen energy braking ==> increased fuel usage.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:02 AM   #521
Mazman
Private First Class
Rep

For my drive pure electric is sufficient there is no need for me to have the ICE start for 2km and the shut of.

I rather run the ICE on a longer trip in order to keep in shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post
You are correct. Even if one wants to save significant portion of battery to be used later I would not set it to 100% when driving in Battery Control mode as this would mean there is no room to store/use regen energy braking ==> increased fuel usage.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #522
Mark189
Member of Parliament
Rep
Drives: G21 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcgd21 View Post
Thursday I picked up my new 330e. I believe some are curious about the fuel consumption and range, as I was too. So, yesterday I used all the battery for the first time, from 100% to one km range left.

Here are the results:

Total driven : 125km
Total electric : 51km
Fuel consumption : 4,6 liters/100km
Av speed : 60kmh

A total of 80km of the 125km was done on the motorway at 140-155kmh. Under those conditions, the fuel consumption is 6-6,5 liters/100km, which for me was very surprising for a car of this weight with a turbo petrol engine. It is the same as a similar powered diesel. It is so fuel efficient that the 40 liter tank is not a problem anymore for me, I’ve now gone 400km and still have more than half a tank left. And most of that has been on the motorway, driven normally/fast all the time - I didn't try to save any fuel or battery.

Great to read this feedback it’s really interesting to get real world experience. I’m currently hesitating between the 330e and 320d, however I do 25000kms per year and only the work drive is doable in electric mode. (100km a week). Destiny is diesel for now I think
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #523
ricdanger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

So, me and a friend got two 330e, and both notice the following:
- If we drive full electric for some kilometers (highway, with some climbs, 120km/h+), the car will start to loose speed up to a point where will not be able accelerate more than 80kmh.
It stays like that for some km then.

Not sure if the car is really meant to run for longer km full-electric, at high speed.

Two different cars with the same behaviour (we did get the car the same day tho; can be a problem with a particular production series).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 05:14 AM   #524
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Wow

Today I reached my all time high! Exceptional!
Combination of around 15% city and 85% highway, the latter getting strong tailwind for most of the drive and being able to stick to the slow lane.
Attached Images

02-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #525
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Whoa! That's brilliant. I'm lucky to get 28kms. Have you got any tips for me?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:47 AM   #526
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Whoa! That's brilliant. I'm lucky to get 28kms. Have you got any tips for me?
Yes. Live in the Netherlands.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #527
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Yes. Live in the Netherlands.
Naw, I’d miss the rain too much!
Appreciate 1
mofomat790.00
      02-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #528
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdanger View Post
So, me and a friend got two 330e, and both notice the following:
- If we drive full electric for some kilometers (highway, with some climbs, 120km/h+), the car will start to loose speed up to a point where will not be able accelerate more than 80kmh.
It stays like that for some km then.

Not sure if the car is really meant to run for longer km full-electric, at high speed.

Two different cars with the same behaviour (we did get the car the same day tho; can be a problem with a particular production series).
I have a 2018 530e. In my area I can drive at 50+ mph (80 KPH equivalent) on city streets (big wide streets) and do so in pure electric mode and have never had the slow down problem you describe. The car runs at full speed until the battery gauge reads "0" or "---". I think you have a problem and need to take it into the dealer.
Appreciate 0