Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Removal of front splitter

05-23-2021, 12:50 PM   #1
Jerrytarg6_m340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 bmw m3 comp xdrive

Garage List
I ordered a new CF splitter for my '21 m340. I had the "m performance " splitter put on at port when I ordered the car. When I went to have the new splitter installed I was basically told that the adhesive bmw uses to install there parts is nearly impossible to pull off without damage. Does anyone have any advice or am I stuck with what I got.

Also have same exact problem with side skirts. Is there anything I can do
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 02:30 PM   #2
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

After you have removed the bolts on the splitter and self tappers(if used) on the side skirts a heat gun on low heat to soften it up as best as you can or a hair dryer, follow with with good quality fishing line used in a upward pulling sawing motion, afterwards a 3M stripe off(you WILL need this) wheel should do the trick on both.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #3
Jerrytarg6_m340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 bmw m3 comp xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
After you have removed the bolts on the splitter and self tappers(if used) on the side skirts a heat gun on low heat to soften it up as best as you can or a hair dryer, follow with with good quality fishing line used in a upward pulling sawing motion, afterwards a 3M stripe off(you WILL need this) wheel should do the trick on both.
Hey. Thanks for response. I kno that's how you would normally remove spoilers and splitters. But this will work even with that betalink stuff that bmw uses. And I looked up that 3m wheel u mentioned. I think that would be perfect if the splitter comes off. So yea you think heating it up and fishing wire will work with that betalink. I even took it to a bmw auto body shop after the performance shop recommended it and even the body shop thought removing the splitter and side skirts would do damage to bumper and rocker panel. Maybe if you do it slow enough it could be done which they probably don't want to spend the time on it. Idk
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 02:28 PM   #4
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrytarg6_m340 View Post
Hey. Thanks for response. I kno that's how you would normally remove spoilers and splitters. But this will work even with that betalink stuff that bmw uses. And I looked up that 3m wheel u mentioned. I think that would be perfect if the splitter comes off. So yea you think heating it up and fishing wire will work with that betalink. I even took it to a bmw auto body shop after the performance shop recommended it and even the body shop thought removing the splitter and side skirts would do damage to bumper and rocker panel. Maybe if you do it slow enough it could be done which they probably don't want to spend the time on it. Idk
Absolutely it will work on betalink my M Sport spoiler was factory fitted using it and once you use the stripe off wheel the rest of it comes off no problem at all so I really can't see how the skirts will differ, it might take a bit more time and effort though.
Appreciate 0