Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications NEW RELEASE: Dinan BMW G20 330i Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake System

05-25-2021, 06:09 PM   #23
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko450 View Post
hey guys wondering if anyone has installed this without any exhaust mods

have a 2021 m340i non m exhaust

wondering if i install only this dinan cold air intake will i hear feel a difference.

thank you
You won't feel a difference but you'll hear it
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 07:40 PM   #24
ko450
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21.M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
You won't feel a difference but you'll hear it
thats what i am hoping for, i am not for after market exhausts but i would consider M performance. i just got the car so ill wait a bit, break it in..

hoping for a nice clean growl out of the CAI.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #25
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

So in theory this increased air flow would pair well with Dinan's flash tune, once released. I know that Dinan has stated it does not provide noticeable power improvements over the OEM system but I would imagine the CAI becomes more critical with engine remaps that demand more boost.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 07:29 AM   #26
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
So in theory this increased air flow would pair well with Dinan's flash tune, once released. I know that Dinan has stated it does not provide noticeable power improvements over the OEM system but I would imagine the CAI becomes more critical with engine remaps that demand more boost.
There is adequate flow on the stock CAI to handle power loads from stock to basic bolt on levels of tuning. Its not until you get into the big turbos, upgraded fueling, etc that the stock CAI will approach its limits and be a limiting factor in the power equation. That said, more overhead is never a bad thing.
Appreciate 1
bquatt218.50
      05-26-2021, 11:26 AM   #27
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGGIN View Post
I received my intake and am on step 5 of the installation where it says to remove this hose clamp on the lower part of the original tube. What type of clamp is this? It’s different than the one pictured in the instructions, used elsewhere in the intake system. Build date is 09/2019. Is this a single-use clamp?
Quote:
From instructions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Interesting. Call the support folks at 1-800-341-5480 tomorrow morning and get a ticket in so that this can be addressed. Our shop 330i is a newer build so maybe it's a early 330i one use clamp. They would have a better idea then I....
WAGGIN Did you get this sorted with Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 05:06 PM   #28
WAGGIN
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i, 2016 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
WAGGIN Did you get this sorted with Dinan?
I called that support line today and they confirmed it is a factory single-use clamp. They are going to look into the part # to replace it once it is removed (which will then take the place of the one-time-use clamp). I figure it is likely the same one as the clamp that goes between the airbox housing itself and the hose. Strange that the same intake tract uses two different types. In my original post you can see that there is both the 'normal' hose clamp and the 'single-use' hose clamp fitted within the same pic

Edit: Actually, one looks smaller than the other.
Attached Images

Last edited by WAGGIN; 06-04-2021 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: size
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 07:35 PM   #29
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I called that support line today and they confirmed it is a factory single-use clamp. They are going to look into the part # to replace it once it is removed (which will then take the place of the one-time-use clamp). I figure it is likely the same one as the clamp that goes between the airbox housing itself and the hose. Strange that the same intake tract uses two different types. In my original post you can see that there is both the 'normal' hose clamp and the 'single-use' hose clamp fitted within the same pic

So that specific clamp is needed for the install? Are you not able to install properly until there is a solution from Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 07:55 PM   #30
WAGGIN
Rep

It isn't preventing me from being able to install the new intake; it's just that if I want to revert it back to stock I'll need to replace the single-use clamp with another (P/N ????????????), or just find/buy the right size 'normal' clamp that can be reused. Just as FYI for some folks who happen to have this fitted on theirs. Mine is a SLP 9/2019 build, if that helps pin it down.
      06-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #31
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just completed this install. I have not driven the car as it started raining right when i was finished and its going to rain the next few days here. Did start it to ensure no CEL.

A few notes that may help some others.

There are 3 rubber grommets that both the factory and Dinan intake snap into. When i pulled the stock air box one of the grommets came attached to the air box and the other 2 somehow came lose and fell underneath the car. Make sure you locate these after pulling the stock air box (circled in red, two of them were installed upside down in this pic so ignore that part lol)

My car is an early 19 build (6/19) and had the same stock one time use clamp that WAGGIN had as well, where as the Dinan instructions state to loosen the clamp as their shop car did not have a one time use clamp.

The Dinan instructions also show the proper filter orientation as having the thin silver metal strip facing up. This was not the proper orientation for mine as when installed in that manner it was above where the lid rests.

It was well packaged, fairly easy install and looks good. Yes i know it will not add any power and yes i know there will not be a massive increase in intake noise since its a closed design, but its a rainy fathers day weekend here in Atlanta and i wanted to treat myself to something
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      07-04-2021, 06:45 AM   #32
bimmerboy71195
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: alpine white 340xi

Quote:
I just completed this install. I have not driven the car as it started raining right when i was finished and its going to rain the next few days here. Did start it to ensure no CEL.

A few notes that may help some others.

There are 3 rubber grommets that both the factory and Dinan intake snap into. When i pulled the stock air box one of the grommets came attached to the air box and the other 2 somehow came lose and fell underneath the car. Make sure you locate these after pulling the stock air box (circled in red, two of them were installed upside down in this pic so ignore that part lol)

My car is an early 19 build (6/19) and had the same stock one time use clamp that WAGGIN had as well, where as the Dinan instructions state to loosen the clamp as their shop car did not have a one time use clamp.

The Dinan instructions also show the proper filter orientation as having the thin silver metal strip facing up. This was not the proper orientation for mine as when installed in that manner it was above where the lid rests.

It was well packaged, fairly easy install and looks good. Yes i know it will not add any power and yes i know there will not be a massive increase in intake noise since its a closed design, but its a rainy fathers day weekend here in Atlanta and i wanted to treat myself to something
Looks great could you post a sound clip?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 06:23 AM   #33
bimmerboy71195
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: alpine white 340xi

Someone plz post a sound clip of this thing
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 10:10 AM   #34
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Looks great!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 04:58 PM   #35
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy71195 View Post
Someone plz post a sound clip of this thing
Honestly there is very little sound gain which i anticipated being that its a closed design. You get a little more "whoosh" in the lower rpm range on quick acceleration. If you are looking to really hear a difference with an intake, you will need to look at open designs.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 06:59 PM   #36
WAGGIN
Rep

I've had it on for a few days now and all seems in order. Engine induction noise is slightly increased and there are noticeable whooshing sounds as boost pressure builds when the windows are down and you dip into the throttle in-gear. But, quieter than an open-air intake like I had on my 228i, and louder than the Dinan N55 intake (which made almost no sound difference) on a 2015 335i sedan.
The sound level reminds me of the sounds my stock z4 28i roadster made when in sport mode; I remember the C&D reviews pointing out that it whistled proudly when in sport/sport+. Overall I think this has a good balance of increased sound while still reasonable.
Other than the clamp issue (which I pried off with needle-nose pliers) due to my 2019 build MY20, it was straightforward. I did have to remove/reseat the rubber grommet under the airbox similar to njfoses (the one closest to the front bumper) and adjust the fitment of the filter. The pins that hold the lid onto the airbox are easy to lose, so use both hands when you press-fit them!

Now, if Dinan could release an axle back that isn't as ridiculously priced as the MPE.....
      07-28-2021, 04:23 AM   #37
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Anxiously awaiting a contoured lid for this CAI so it can be used with the M440i bracing...

And as WAGGIN said, an "affordable" Dinan axle-back would be cool too.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 08:10 AM   #38
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
Anxiously awaiting a contoured lid for this CAI so it can be used with the M440i bracing...

And as WAGGIN said, an "affordable" Dinan axle-back would be cool too.
I'm anxiously waiting as well!!!!
      01-10-2024, 01:15 PM   #39
g20330xi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 330XI M Sport

Quote:

Hey WAGGIN , I'm in the same predicament as you. Did you end up finding out the part number for the factory single-use clamp? I would greatly appreciate your response!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 02:57 AM   #40
hndrxx
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw 330i xdrive

first timer

thinking about getting one for me 2019 330. i wanna get a exhaust to go with it. what should i go with. i was looking at the exhaust system dinan has for my car
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 04:10 AM   #41
Sparch
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i, 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20330xi View Post
Hey WAGGIN , I'm in the same predicament as you. Did you end up finding out the part number for the factory single-use clamp? I would greatly appreciate your response!

Yes that is a single use clamp.

You can use a flat head screwdriver and pry the crimps open in order to remove.

The new part should come with replacements that are not single use.
Appreciate 0