Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Judder!

07-11-2021, 09:15 PM   #1
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Judder!

Looks like it has to go back to the dealer for a check up.

330i - March 2020 build - 15,000 KM

In park and idling there is a juddering noise. Louder in the rear. Loudness varies and comes and go. Appears about a min or so after starting the car. You might have to turn the volume up a tad.

See video - does anyone have an idea?

Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      07-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Damn. I've never heard that judder before. Does it change when you rev the car while it is stationary?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 05:05 PM   #3
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Damn. I've never heard that judder before. Does it change when you rev the car while it is stationary?
It's only at idle. Not heard during normal driving or revving.

The only thing I can think of is the cover covering the battery in the boot being a tad loose (maybe) causing a strange resonance, so I sured it up so there is zero play.

or

The rear seat latches not being fully engaged. So I unlocked and then re locked them.

I also gave it a full tank of petrol at my regular station and sat in it idling for about 15 to 20 mins today. Heard nothing.

If it completely goes away it was either the boot floor weirdly resonating or off fuel (maybe) or it just sorted itself out.

I'll still take it in to have them look at it.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      07-19-2021, 09:04 PM   #4
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Here is a better video of the sound (it came back).

Have to book it in

As you can hear if you listen right to the end it just goes away suddenly. I did not do anything to make it go awat.

I feel like its something in the exhuast hitting the under body or vibrating or the damper not working properly but I'm confident it is exhaust related.

It was doing the noise pretty consistently and I switching the modes from sport (i.e. exhaust values open) to comfort and the noise went away instantly when changed mode to comfort.

It's only at idle. Tends to happy more on slight hills.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #5
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Have you tried to run the car and step outside to check under if something hitting? The last video is that a cold start because if so your assumption of the exhaust hitting something may be it since it fades away shortly.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 05:16 PM   #6
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Have you tried to run the car and step outside to check under if something hitting? The last video is that a cold start because if so your assumption of the exhaust hitting something may be it since it fades away shortly.
Thanks for the reply!

The noise is only after the car has warmed up. Nothing when it's cold.

We are in lockdown in Sydney Australia so the dealer can't look at until August 4.

I'm not going to risk ramps or jacks but on a flat surface but I can slide under the car when its off from the back rear.

There is nothing like sliding under a car and getting 'up close and personal' and having your nose practically on the rear differential to take a look!

The exhaust is secure and it's not loose in any way.

From outside the car while mounted on a kerb with the engine on and with the noise present I've pushed the exhaust at different locations to see if it changes the noise in anyway. Nothing happens.

I did notice that when the sound occurs that I can put my hand on the fuel cap and feel the vibration, which makes me think that vibration from the exhaust or somewhere is passing to the fuel tank. The sound like like a gentle knocking of something up against the underside of the body.

Anyways, as a guess I gently moved around the fuel tank supports last night and went for a 40 min drive. In all the places I could provoke the sound before it was not there.

We will seek if it goes away for longer than 2 days.
Appreciate 1
premier3is1627.00
      07-25-2021, 07:03 PM   #7
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Anyways - I found that the people in the F30 forum have found the answer. I'm 95% confident that this is my sound.

Some owners have had this exact sound in their F30.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1424308
Appreciate 0