Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK M340i Break In Period Query

11-25-2021, 04:33 PM   #23
Kano
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Yes most car manufacturers would play those cards close to their chest.

Looking after the car and extending the warranty would defiantly mitigate the risk factor, giving you piece of mind, depending on how long you want to own the vehicle.

Would be great to see a video of mechanically minded person who have done the oil changes.

Showing what shavings emerge in the oil and filter to determine if the early oil change may be beneficial for limiting any latent longevity engine issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 04:44 PM   #24
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kano View Post
Yes most car manufacturers would play those cards close to their chest.

Looking after the car and extending the warranty would defiantly mitigate the risk factor, giving you piece of mind, depending on how long you want to own the vehicle.

Would be great to see a video of mechanically minded person who have done the oil changes.

Showing what shavings emerge in the oil and filter to determine if the early oil change may be beneficial for limiting any latent longevity engine issues.
Absolutely!
Last two F32s I owned I sold privately (both incidentally to forum members!) and they both appreciated the fact that there was 4 months and 7 months of BMW Extended Warranty still left on those cars, transferrable to the new owners which provided peace of mind to the buyers and I'm sure helped to secure the sales.
Like you I'd love to see what others had found from an oil change.
Might have a rake around on the forums from over the pond and see if any of our American cousins have done that? Probably the most likely place to look?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 05:29 PM   #25
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Been looking on some of the USA forums but not helping, their service intervals seem to be much more frequent than the UK recommended ones.
Presume it’s to do with the specs for the NA market?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 05:32 PM   #26
Kano
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Yeah, I was hoping Bryan would tell us as he knows his way around a G20 but ask you can see they are doing it early:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ki...&client=safari

Will have a search too.

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
bmnut785.50
      11-25-2021, 07:08 PM   #27
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Be aware there seems to be an issue with the oil filter, apparently at first service the paper filter can rip then it’s a new housing

Dealer advised a possible problem at 1st service circa 11k miles, then ripped the filter and told me they didn’t have the housing in stock

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:36 AM   #28
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Been looking on some of the USA forums but not helping, their service intervals seem to be much more frequent than the UK recommended ones.
Presume it’s to do with the specs for the NA market?
I belive the frequency of oil changes in the US is more a cultural thing than technical. They're very used to short oil change intervals over there traditionally and they simply don't find the long service intervals here credible.

Personally I've owned a few new cars of various makes and have just followed the manufacturers schedule without problems and none have called for an early oil change when running in. I suspect if there is metal in the oil the suspended particles are smaller than the gap between metal parts that the oil provides. If it was a real issue surely we'd be seeing things like premature big end / cam / turbo failures but those don't seem to be the issue with modern engines.

Last edited by thescouselander; 11-26-2021 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:10 AM   #29
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Not oil related but i remember on the F generation 40i engines there used to be a thing with the oil filter.

In some cars that had their first service after nearly two years or 20k miles the oil filter would start disintegrating and wouldn't come out in one piece which obviously caused all sorts of issues but it was a warranty job. Reason why I did an intermediate service on mine in the first year.
'15 LCI F30 330d M Sport Plus in EBII
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:37 AM   #30
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44RTT View Post
Not oil related but i remember on the F generation 40i engines there used to be a thing with the oil filter.

In some cars that had their first service after nearly two years or 20k miles the oil filter would start disintegrating and wouldn't come out in one piece which obviously caused all sorts of issues but it was a warranty job. Reason why I did an intermediate service on mine in the first year.
I seem to remember hearing something about that about the 40i engines. Fortunately never experienced that problem myself and that engined car was serviced in accordance with the schedule and I understand is continuing to run perfectly well still.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:47 AM   #31
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescouselander View Post
I belive the frequency of oil changes in the US is more a cultural thing than technical. They're very used to short oil change intervals over there traditionally and they is simply don't find the long service intervals here credible.

Personally I've owned a few new cars of various makes and have just followed the manufacturers schedule without problems and none have called for an early oil change when running in. I suspect if there is metal in the oil the suspended particles are smaller than the gap between metal parts that the oil provides. If it was a real issue surely we'd be seeing things like premature big end / cam / turbo failures but those don't seem to be the issue with modern engines.
I didn’t know that about owners in America but now you’ve made me think about it that makes sense knowing folk over there and also relations that I have in Canada.
As for your second paragraph and your own personal experiences, that pretty much mirrors what I have been doing myself over all my years of new car ownership. From the days when engines weren’t maybe manufactured to the same fine tolerances they are today and oils weren’t as advanced either, I’m talking about the early days of synthetic oils in this regard.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 11:02 AM   #32
Riccardog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 320i Touring MSport

Hi bmnut, I'd challenge the assumption that we are getting the outcomes of BMW's research straight up. In fact, what we likely get is reviewed by marketing and communications. As evidence just consider why different localities get different service schedules.

BMW consider a 10/15 yr service life for its product and the suggested maintenance is based on this life span. Prime example of this would be the "sealed for life" auto transmissions; no servicing stipulated by BMW.

At the end of the day, any additional oil changes above the essential schedule will not do the car any harm. Conversely, not doing them may (or not) do harm.

Ultimately if an owner is minded to keep the car long-term, ie over say 8 years, it makes some sense to do additional maintenance over the minimum in mitigating long-term wear and tear on the car. I totally agree that, for most first buyers, who will keep the car 3 or 4 years max, there would be no point in doing any additional maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 11:33 AM   #33
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I would save the 245 quid. These cars are obviously designed to run well into 6 figure millage and the engines not going to pack up due to a reasonably long oil change interval.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #34
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I totally respect Ricarrdog’s comments above and there is merit in what you say!
I can also see the he logic in 225’s comment so at the end of the day I think a lot of this comes down personal opinion and people will ultimately just do what they feel most comfortable with for their own reasons.
One interesting thing I picked up today whilst at the dealer was the running in oil change for the M power engined cars allows the dealer to release the factory lock on them that prevents the engines from delivering full power which the factory sets on production.
Appreciate 0