Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

06-11-2023, 11:30 AM   #1
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Any regrets in purchasing i4 M50?

Other than a long wait after ordering, any regrets in purchasing i4 M50?

Appreciate any and all feedback.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 12:02 PM   #2
Flamesofgold
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

No regrets but sometimes my racer boy in me wants to jump to m3

Also my older self is interested in the i5m60

The interior of the i4 is good overall but would like a bit more of creature comforts

Overal no regrets. But I may switch to i5 but not sure about that range. No issue with range on i4m50
Appreciate 3
cfm56d7b5950.00
deutsch1004109.50
      06-11-2023, 12:17 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Super helpful. I find myself in the same predicament: exploring i4 M50 while wanting to M3 or X4M.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 01:19 PM   #4
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Super helpful. I find myself in the same predicament: exploring i4 M50 while wanting to M3 or X4M.
The long 21 month wait for my car is my regret.
But the upside is I decided to go for individual leather and BMW have me loyalty money for my extended wait and I paid original pricing.

I was cross shopping M3/M4 and M2 cars also.

The M2 was really attractive and had thy been out while I was waiting for the M50, I'm not sure I would have waited.

AWD favors th M50.
I have absolutely no regrets buying the M50.

Also I've had two people in my back seat that were 6'1" and 6'5" sitting behind my wife that is 5'5". They were fine. My sons that are 5'8"ish have no issues sitting behind me at 5'7" in a leg extended driving position.

This car is great.
      06-11-2023, 07:39 PM   #5
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Other than a long wait after ordering, any regrets in purchasing i4 M50?

Appreciate any and all feedback.
No regrets but some little annoyances like-

Car turning off when you open the door BUT the radio doesn't turn off if you close the door. When you reopen the door the radio turns off. WTF?

If the car is parked in your garage, you go to open the door to get something out of the car the ACC turns on and your radio stays on for X amount of time. WTF? You can open the door again and the radio/Idrive doesn't turn off... so it's not like above. Who designed and said this is the way it should be?

There is some sequence of events my wife does that allows the headlights to stay on indefinitely after she parks the car in the garage. I have not been able to reproduce myself. Leads to my next complaint...

Why are the Auto lights ALWAYS on??

Every time an over the air update occurs my coding gets wiped randomly. This last time all of my coding has been wiped.

I can't say "BMW" in the car or Idrive thinks I'm talking to it.

B- mode is useless.

Sync doesn't stay selected all the time...?

Parking sensors can't sense a curb/parking block all the time unlike our X1 which can.

Ultimately I don't like the large curved screen. My wife likes it though and likes the Android Auto integration.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004109.50
      06-11-2023, 10:16 PM   #6
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
This is my 18th car, and I’ve mostly owned performance German cars, this is the overall best car I’ve owned. I5 isn’t for me.

No regrets, had it for 10,000 miles, and it’s about to get new rear tires
Appreciate 2
deutsch1004109.50
gs6456177.50
      06-11-2023, 11:25 PM   #7
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post

Car turning off when you open the door BUT the radio doesn't turn off if you close the door. When you reopen the door the radio turns off. WTF?

If the car is parked in your garage, you go to open the door to get something out of the car the ACC turns on and your radio stays on for X amount of time. WTF? You can open the door again and the radio/Idrive doesn't turn off... so it's not like above. Who designed and said this is the way it should be?
We can "thank" Tesla for this, and question why BMW decided to do this....i4, iX and i7. So annoying. If I forget my cell phone or wallet in the car, I have to have the A/C, radio and lights turn on, just because I opened the door.

The random thing with the exterior lights staying on indefinitely, our B8 Alpina and X5M does this sometimes. We cannot for the life of us figure out why. The ONLY way to fix, is to lock the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 05:38 AM   #8
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Hmm i was first thinking in the beginning i maybe should have gone for the i4 e40 version due to the range and so but now when i have been using it for quite some time in both winter, spring, summer & autumn i can say that i made the right choice.

The AWD helped getting the grip down during the winter we had a very cold and outdrawn winter this year with plenty of snow so happy for that choice and now during the summer the more i drive it the better i learn how to deal with the car and its different quirks.

I was also pleasantly surprised that i can fit dog "cage" in the trunk for a dog up to 22 kg while my dog won't grow to more then 19 kgs and he still has room to spare and also i can get in some stuff still in the back especially when you remove the "hat shelf" so to speak.

It also drives great its by no means and one shouldn't expect that it is a sports cars in terms of driving feel even if BMW want to say that it its, it ain't its to heavy for that go cart feel then a M2 is the proper choice in that term, but it is a damn good grand tourer with performance to spare when you want to have some fun or the amount of "legal" fun you can have on the road.

And it has some good range, this picture is 511 km after charging to 98% on a ionity charger on a longer trip with the 19" rims. 245 front tires and 255 rear tires. And i got the Hankok tires with my car.
Attached Images

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)

Last edited by Nahlem; 06-12-2023 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004109.50
      06-12-2023, 06:40 AM   #9
falconey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97

Quote:

There is some sequence of events my wife does that allows the headlights to stay on indefinitely after she parks the car in the garage. I have not been able to reproduce myself. Leads to my next complaint...

Every time an over the air update occurs my coding gets wiped randomly. This last time all of my coding has been wiped.

B- mode is useless.
1. Car should turn off when you open the drivers door so it doesn't run you over. Radio will stay on UNLESS you shut off with the start/stop button.

2. This does get a bit annoying. No real tips here other than locking the vehicle to shut down the radio.

3. Never happened to me. Again using start/stop button plus opening drivers door for shutdown seems the most direct process for putting the car to sleep.

4. Not sure what you mean by this. There are daytime running lights which is different from headlights.

5. Isn't this most if not all BMWs?

6. I can't imagine why you think b mode is useless. Lot of folks swear by it and although I don't use it much it's great when there's heavy traffic when many stops are required.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1004109.50
cruzer6661239.00
      06-12-2023, 08:06 AM   #10
BTDOC23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 330e

Is the iX implementation any better with proper keyless capability?

No feedback on the loose, numb center steering?

My only main complaint… (and lack of circular digital dash!)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 08:31 AM   #11
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

I really like my i4 M50 but there's one serious issue. The interior is too cramped!
I am 6ft 4 and there's no way another person can sit comfortably behind me.
Believe it or not, my 2 door F82 M4 was more spacious.
      06-12-2023, 09:12 AM   #12
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Zero regrets switching from my M5 Comp to the i4M50 and oddly I don't miss the noise either. If there was one thing I miss it's the extra space of the bigger car but that is it.

As for the question would I go back, nope never because I get to drive an ICE car regularly in the form of the wife's Mk8 Golf R DSG and frankly I hate every time I need to drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 09:30 AM   #13
scarzie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
I'll probably be in the minority, but I'm having regrets, mostly just because of the move to electric. I frequently go to our summer house which is about 200 miles away and even with the 19's it still gives me range anxiety - if I have to change my driving style just for range that's a problem. If tesla adapters were available to us it would make my life a whole lot easier.

Idk I'm a gear head and I am missing having an engine. Looking at picking up the new lexus GX as a main backup while I wait on my lotus emira for the fun car.
      06-12-2023, 11:41 AM   #14
falconey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarzie View Post
I'll probably be in the minority, but I'm having regrets, mostly just because of the move to electric. I frequently go to our summer house which is about 200 miles away and even with the 19's it still gives me range anxiety - if I have to change my driving style just for range that's a problem. If tesla adapters were available to us it would make my life a whole lot easier.

Idk I'm a gear head and I am missing having an engine. Looking at picking up the new lexus GX as a main backup while I wait on my lotus emira for the fun car.
You had me until you said you're a gear head that also wants a Lexus, lol. I kidd, I kidd 😊

Not sure where you are located, but you should have no issues getting 200 miles on 19s. Also you can buy Tesla adapters on Ebay
Appreciate 2
deutsch1004109.50
      06-12-2023, 12:34 PM   #15
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconey View Post
1. Car should turn off when you open the drivers door so it doesn't run you over. Radio will stay on UNLESS you shut off with the start/stop button.

2. This does get a bit annoying. No real tips here other than locking the vehicle to shut down the radio.

3. Never happened to me. Again using start/stop button plus opening drivers door for shutdown seems the most direct process for putting the car to sleep.

4. Not sure what you mean by this. There are daytime running lights which is different from headlights.

5. Isn't this most if not all BMWs?

6. I can't imagine why you think b mode is useless. Lot of folks swear by it and although I don't use it much it's great when there's heavy traffic when many stops are required.
No the car should not turn off when you open the door. What other car turns off when you open the door? (excluding other electric vehicles). The car should be in PARK most of the time when opening the door ( I say most of the time because I have a lift and sometimes I do have the door open to get the cars positioned correctly). But even then I noticed if the front doors are not fully closed the I4 will not let you drive off, it will instantly turn off and engage the parking brake. I think most people have lost sight of what a car is. For me personally I want a car that happens to be electric (if that makes sense). We had a 2013 Nissan Leaf from new and loved it (this leads into why the B-mode is useless)

The B-mode on the Leaf was as it should be, less regen close to 100% state of charge while it gradually increased the regen as the state of charge dropped. The I4 doesn't do this, not only is it jerky, the transition from the electric motor to the mechanical brakes is terrible (comparing this to the technology that Nissan was using 10 years ago) I expected the BMW to be much better and it's not.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 01:02 PM   #16
falconey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No the car should not turn off when you open the door. What other car turns off when you open the door? (excluding other electric vehicles). The car should be in PARK most of the time when opening the door ( I say most of the time because I have a lift and sometimes I do have the door open to get the cars positioned correctly). But even then I noticed if the front doors are not fully closed the I4 will not let you drive off, it will instantly turn off and engage the parking brake. I think most people have lost sight of what a car is. For me personally I want a car that happens to be electric (if that makes sense). We had a 2013 Nissan Leaf from new and loved it (this leads into why the B-mode is useless)

The B-mode on the Leaf was as it should be, less regen close to 100% state of charge while it gradually increased the regen as the state of charge dropped. The I4 doesn't do this, not only is it jerky, the transition from the electric motor to the mechanical brakes is terrible (comparing this to the technology that Nissan was using 10 years ago) I expected the BMW to be much better and it's not.
Yeah for b mode it sounds like you are trying to fit another maker's technology into a bmw. If you haven't already, you should try the adaptive regen which is what I use most often. If that doesn't work then it sounds like it is useless for you.
As for the drive off I'm sure you know this, but EVs make no noise when on. So I think it's good BMW has a safety feature where you can't get run over by opening the drivers door and stepping out of the car, if you incorrectly assume the car is already off.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 01:20 PM   #17
asianrage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50+ 2022 X7 M50i

No regrets!
The car is amazing. Only two things I want.
1. 300miles range with the 20" wheels set up.
2. Full adaptive air suspension. because my X7 M50 has it and it's awesome.

One complaint though
The chair is squishy? Kinda weird.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 01:36 PM   #18
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:

B- mode is useless.

Parking sensors can't sense a curb/parking block all the time unlike our X1 which can.

Ultimately I don't like the large curved screen. My wife likes it though and likes the Android Auto integration.

Other EVs turn off when the door opens.
It's so you don't run yourself over.
My X5 and the 7 series I drove force the car into park.

Yes an OTA will wipe coding, but that is the case of an update of the software even for ICE cars.

The solution is not to use BimmerCode and switch to BimmerUtility where you can script and VO code. Makes updates easier.

You do need a Wi-Fi or Ethernet adapter and new software. I bit the bullet so I could VO code the Laser Lights and not have to code them every stinking time.
      06-12-2023, 11:19 PM   #19
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
B-mode is one of the features I love most about the i4. I only drive mine in B-mode, it is very comfortable, especially in traffic. The amount of braking when you lift the foot off the accelerator pedal is consistent regardless of 100% SoC or 5% SoC. I can confidently tell how fast the car will stop every time without exception.

Also, in D, the blended brakes are completely seamless and you do not know/feel when the transition between recuperation and friction brakes happen.
Appreciate 2
falconey483.00
      06-13-2023, 07:55 AM   #20
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:

I see the turning off as a safety feature rather than a annoyance, I do get the thing about the radio but I always lock the car after leaving it do not an issue for me.

Quote:
Can't say I have noticed this because I haven't needed to return to it unless going to drive away again but will look and see what you mean.

Quote:

Daylight running lights not headlights.

Quote:

I haven't noticed this, I take it you don't mean your short cut functions because they still for me after an update is done.

Quote:
B- mode is useless.
I can't agree with you here, I find it very useful indeed.

Quote:

Mine notices this so maybe it's the height of the kurb?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 12:22 PM   #21
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I guess I should clarify.

I don't like the "Auto Headlight" Function is automatically on at start up (power on?) of the vehicle.

(I'm going to be sarcastic here) How have you not been run over by another car then? There is no gas powered car that turns off when you open the door.
And yes I understand this is an electric vehicle but in 4.5 years of ownership of our Leaf which did not make ANY noise except when backing up neither myself or my wife ever got run over.

Last edited by knightarmor; 06-14-2023 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 03:22 PM   #22
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

I went and drove an i4 M50 at the BMW M Town Tour yesterday. My regret? I bought an M440i GC instead of the i4 M50. My god that thing is fast. It’s faster than an M3 Comp (RWD).
Appreciate 2
cfm56d7b5950.00
techwhiz11863.50