4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires car shakes at speed over 80mph

11-27-2023, 09:57 AM   #1
kingm340
Rep
Drives: bmw m340

car shakes at speed over 80mph

I just got new wheels and had a previous thread about a small vibration in the steering. everyone told me to get them balanced so I did. now I'm having the same issue but it's worse now. now I feel the whole car shaking at over 80mph. it feels like when I go fast the car can't handle and shakes and that doesn't make sense since my car always was able to handle it before and it's an m340 so it's meant to go fast... what could be an issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 10:31 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Tyres?
I have runflats on my car and having hit a pothole, I could detect a small vibration over about 65mph so it may possibly be damage to a tyre
Guessing if it’s only noticeable at higher speeds it may be a very small damage . Mine wasn’t obvious to spot (I’m fact my dealership didn’t spot it) but on closer inspection I found it
Potential damage could be on the inner side of the tyre which obviously makes it difficult to see unless you can get it up on a ramp
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 12:29 PM   #3
kingm340
Rep
Drives: bmw m340

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Tyres?
I have runflats on my car and having hit a pothole, I could detect a small vibration over about 65mph so it may possibly be damage to a tyre
Guessing if it’s only noticeable at higher speeds it may be a very small damage . Mine wasn’t obvious to spot (I’m fact my dealership didn’t spot it) but on closer inspection I found it
Potential damage could be on the inner side of the tyre which obviously makes it difficult to see unless you can get it up on a ramp
i used to have run flats but now I have nonrunflats. so not sure?? both tires had same issue
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 08:22 AM   #4
prostcfc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Were these wheels and tires brand new when you got them? How long have you been driving on them?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 11:40 AM   #5
chutoy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Garage List
Balance and alignment?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 02:05 PM   #6
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingm340 View Post
I just got new wheels and had a previous thread about a small vibration in the steering. everyone told me to get them balanced so I did. now I'm having the same issue but it's worse now. now I feel the whole car shaking at over 80mph. it feels like when I go fast the car can't handle and shakes and that doesn't make sense since my car always was able to handle it before and it's an m340 so it's meant to go fast... what could be an issue?
Undo whatever you did to the car
Appreciate 0