Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Auto High Beam Assistant Doesn't Stay On

05-09-2024, 07:08 PM   #1
den110
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 Mineral White M440i

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Auto High Beam Assistant Doesn't Stay On

Hi all,

For some reason, the auto high beam assistant seems to go off periodically. I have it enabled via the left control stalk on the steering wheel. It is usually on when the headlights come on, but every now and then, it is deactivated when the headlights go on and I have to re enable again by pressing the control stalk. Not a big issue, just annoying. It seems to be random as I cannot pinpoint when this happens. The headlights are on "auto" to go on when dark.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 11:26 PM   #2
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Hello!

The Automatic High Beams, when activated with the headlights on (in automatic mode) via the control stalk, should come on whenever the headlights are activated in automatic mode - if you have fog lights (I see you drive an M440i and so you do not have fog lights) you can force the headlights to come on (despite being in automatic mode), and in addition to the Low-Beam symbol, you should also see the automatic headlights symbol (its the low-beam symbol with an "A" in front of it).

If you do not have fog lights, your low-beams have to be activated automatically in order for the Auto-high beams to work.

Your Auto-High Beams WILL NOT be activated if your low-beams are activated manually and/or if the exterior light control is in anything other than automatic mode.
NOTE: If you manually select your low-beams and you try to activate the Auto High Beams, your car should give you a message stating that the auto high beams can only be activated when the exterior headlamps are in automatic mode.

That said, assuming you are doing everything right, the car should remember your Auto High Beams settings and should come up whenever the headlights are activated in automatic mode. Every once in awhile I will have to re-enable the auto high beams via the control stalk, but this is very rare occurrence and my 2021 330i (named Hrag) remembers the last used setting and I have no complaints.

That said, here are a few other troubleshooting tips; please make sure that:
1. You are logged in with your profile ID (This shouldn't matter, but its worth a shot)
2. Other profile ID's, especially if you are not the primary user, do not have their settings set that contradicts/prevents the auto high beams from working properly
(e.g., If they drive with the low-beams on or the exterior light is not in automatic mode, that could perhaps be what is preventing the car from remembering your last used setting)
3. There are no headlight/headlamp malfunctions
4. Your iDrive system is up to date with the most recent software updates
5. Your profile ID settings are linked to a specific key

That said, as another alternative, you could code your car via bimmercode to have your Auto-High Beams settings be set to "Remember last used setting"

Lastly, for additional reference, I have attached a screenshot of the owners manual for the 2021 4 series that explains more in depth about the High-Beam Assistant !

Name:  Screenshot 2024-05-09 212551.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  318.1 KB

That said, I hope everything works out! Please let me (us) know if you have any additional questions and keep us posted!

Best,
Cameron (2021 BMW 330i)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 12:48 PM   #3
den110
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 Mineral White M440i

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam330i View Post
Hello!

The Automatic High Beams, when activated with the headlights on (in automatic mode) via the control stalk, should come on whenever the headlights are activated in automatic mode - if you have fog lights (I see you drive an M440i and so you do not have fog lights) you can force the headlights to come on (despite being in automatic mode), and in addition to the Low-Beam symbol, you should also see the automatic headlights symbol (its the low-beam symbol with an "A" in front of it).

If you do not have fog lights, your low-beams have to be activated automatically in order for the Auto-high beams to work.

Your Auto-High Beams WILL NOT be activated if your low-beams are activated manually and/or if the exterior light control is in anything other than automatic mode.
NOTE: If you manually select your low-beams and you try to activate the Auto High Beams, your car should give you a message stating that the auto high beams can only be activated when the exterior headlamps are in automatic mode.

That said, assuming you are doing everything right, the car should remember your Auto High Beams settings and should come up whenever the headlights are activated in automatic mode. Every once in awhile I will have to re-enable the auto high beams via the control stalk, but this is very rare occurrence and my 2021 330i (named Hrag) remembers the last used setting and I have no complaints.

That said, here are a few other troubleshooting tips; please make sure that:
1. You are logged in with your profile ID (This shouldn't matter, but its worth a shot)
2. Other profile ID's, especially if you are not the primary user, do not have their settings set that contradicts/prevents the auto high beams from working properly
(e.g., If they drive with the low-beams on or the exterior light is not in automatic mode, that could perhaps be what is preventing the car from remembering your last used setting)
3. There are no headlight/headlamp malfunctions
4. Your iDrive system is up to date with the most recent software updates
5. Your profile ID settings are linked to a specific key

That said, as another alternative, you could code your car via bimmercode to have your Auto-High Beams settings be set to "Remember last used setting"

Lastly, for additional reference, I have attached a screenshot of the owners manual for the 2021 4 series that explains more in depth about the High-Beam Assistant !

Attachment 3453925

That said, I hope everything works out! Please let me (us) know if you have any additional questions and keep us posted!

Best,
Cameron (2021 BMW 330i)
Thanks, I have the same issue as you. Every now and then I have to reenable the auto high beams via the control stalk. Not sure why it loses its memory to activate when my low beams come on (set to auto). It should always remember the last setting without having to reenable periodically. It doesn't happen too often, just annoying having to push the stalk again.

I have Bimmecode, so have to see if I can code it to "remember last setting"
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 01:16 PM   #4
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Yes this is a known issue without explanation. Happens to me - I'd say on average maybe 5 - 6 times a year. Not a big deal but annoying.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 09:39 PM   #5
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Yup, same for me with my ‘21 430 and ‘23 X7 every once in a while, no rhyme or reason. Like you, it’s no big deal for me to press the button on the stalk, but at least you know you’re not the only one.
      05-12-2024, 09:51 PM   #6
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Yes this is a known issue without explanation. Happens to me - I'd say on average maybe 5 - 6 times a year. Not a big deal but annoying.
#Metoo - but I have always put it down to a fat-fingers moment when I'm using the turn indicator. If you put even a slight bit of pressure on the bottom corner at the end of the stalk when activating to turn right, it will do it.

Last edited by Gaviatrix; 05-13-2024 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 02:42 PM   #7
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Same here with a '20. The setting will stick for a few months and then be lost until I notice it's not enabled.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 05:30 AM   #8
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I thought congress approved anti dazzle when is that coming?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 06:30 AM   #9
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Same here. Only pattern I have noticed is that it has only de-activated when conditions are still quite light but dark enough to activate the auto lights. For example around dawn or dusk or when its raining during the day and the headlights come on with the wiper function.

As others say it happens once every 3-4 months for me so not a big problem.
Appreciate 0