Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications DIY Active/Adaptive Intake?

05-19-2024, 02:36 PM   #1
GKirt
Rep
Drives: M340i

DIY Active/Adaptive Intake?

My favorite thing about my 2020 M340i is how quiet and smooth it is in Eco but then in sport plus it becomes a monster thanks to the exhaust flaps, adaptive suspension, and adaptive tune which changes throttle response and the pops and bangs. The only thing missing from this experience is the beautiful intake and turbo sounds, which can be awesome but also annoying when trying to chill on the highway. I thought about the possibility of an active intake system that could open/close a flap to increase/decrease the intake sounds. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I’ve considered two options, a section of tubing that routes the intake sounds to the cabin with a flap that can open and close, or a flap on the airbox itself that simply makes the intake louder. This seems like it would be fairly easy to have a flap/valve moved by a small servo that piggybacks directly off the existing wiring for the exhaust valves. Just a thought

Last edited by GKirt; 05-19-2024 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 05:24 AM   #2
GA/\/\/\/\A_CT
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘20 m340ix

It’s a great idea! I would also consider an active air inlet from the front bumper or under the wheel arch.

Eventuri has an opening to the wheel arch, but it makes me nervous when driving in bad conditions….would be nice to open or close the inlet based on conditions.
Appreciate 0