Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications B46 Non-Warranty Voiding Performance Mods?

05-20-2024, 08:20 PM   #1
SpencerSmith98
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i xDrive

B46 Non-Warranty Voiding Performance Mods?

Hello All, (Skip ahead of my introduction if you want to get to what i came here to ask.)

I'm new to the forum so I guess I'll introduce myself.

My name is Spencer and I bought my first BMW in 2020. It was a 2009 E90 328i xDrive LCI. Loved that car. It was my first BMW and as a poor college student at the time it was a miracle to drive for me coming from a 2013 Corolla.

In 2021, still being a poor college kid, I wanted to upgrade to something a bit nicer so I traded in my E90 for a 2013 F30 328i xDrive. That was a night and day difference from the E90. It had all the accoutrements, heated seats all around and steering wheel. Heads up display, 360 camera. Anyway...that blew up two weekends ago Saturday 5/11/24. Dreaded timing chain failure on the N26 engine caused the pistons and valves to having a boxing match in which the pistons won.

Now being a non college student and slightly less poor, i bought a 2021 G20 330i xDrive with 29k miles in Alpine White (All three of them have been white.) Beautiful car, I do find myself dearly missing the HUD and 360 camera view which my car unfortunately did not have and i could not afford a newer post LCI model with these features.

Now that that's out of the way. Here's what i actually came here to ask haha.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know of good power modifications for the B46/B48 engine that don't void warranty? I bought an extended warranty on the car and i've been wanting to do performance mods since my E90 but could never afford it really. I obviously don't want to void the warranty.

I've looked into the AWE axle back touring exhaust. My understanding is post CAT exhausts won't void a warranty. That'll net me an extra (Probably. But not really) 8ish HP.

Obviously a cold air intake which according to multiple different manufactureres can net anywhere from 8 - 15HP (independent dyno testing shows more like 5 which i believe) which should also be a safe bet.

I was thinking upgraded charge pipes for better gas flow to the turbo but I'm a little iffy on the warranty voiding efficacy of that?

Possibly also an upgraded intercooler which falls squarely into the camp of the charge pipe, maybe voids warranty, maybe doesn't?

I would love to do a Bootmod3 or piggyback tune or something but i don't care what anyone says. BMW's detection and data logging software has got so advanced you can't "undo the tune" and they won't find out.

Anyone have any input on any of this?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 1
mikeyb74126.00
      05-21-2024, 07:25 AM   #2
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
Spencer, I have a 2020 330i xdrive M-Sport that has an extended warranty. I installed the Burger JB4 plus that you can unplug when you take the 330 in for service. I also have both the Dinan Intake and turbo inlet pipe. Both have been installed 3 years and I haven't had any issues when it goes in for service. As for exhaust I was lucky the 330 came with the M Performance exhaust. And I have powder coated gloss black charge pipe that came off of a trade in when I was working at Tulley BMW of Manchester. FYI the B46 is a way better engine then the trash N20/N26.
Attached Images

Last edited by mikeyb74; 05-21-2024 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 08:32 AM   #3
tylers1027
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 330I

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
Spencer, I have a 2020 330i xdrive M-Sport that has an extended warranty. I installed the Burger JB4 plus that you can unplug when you take the 330 in for service. I also have both the Dinan Intake and turbo inlet pipe. Both have been installed 3 years and I haven't had any issues when it goes in for service. As for exhaust I was lucky the 330 came with the M Performance exhaust. And I have powder coasted gloss black charge pipe that came off of a trade in when I was working at Tulley BMW of Manchester. FYI the B46 is a way better engine then the trash N20/N26.
Nice list of mods! Can I ask where you got the 50th anniversary engine emblem (or sticker that goes on the emblem)?

I also have the JB4, M Performance exhaust, Dinan turbo inlet, cold air intake. I also have Active Autowerke downpipe I'd highly recommend if you like some noise
Appreciate 1
mikeyb74126.00
      05-21-2024, 08:45 AM   #4
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylers1027 View Post
Nice list of mods! Can I ask where you got the 50th anniversary engine emblem (or sticker that goes on the emblem)?

I also have the JB4, M Performance exhaust, Dinan turbo inlet, cold air intake. I also have Active Autowerke downpipe I'd highly recommend if you like some noise
Thank you! The 50th is a sticker that I sourced on Etsy. I would have to look up the listing again. Here is the link just don't remember the size I ordered.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1339816...f=yr_purchases
      05-21-2024, 09:08 AM   #5
SpencerSmith98
Rep

Quote:
Spencer, I have a 2020 330i xdrive M-Sport that has an extended warranty. I installed the Burger JB4 plus that you can unplug when you take the 330 in for service. I also have both the Dinan Intake and turbo inlet pipe. Both have been installed 3 years and I haven't had any issues when it goes in for service. As for exhaust I was lucky the 330 came with the M Performance exhaust. And I have powder coated gloss black charge pipe that came off of a trade in when I was working at Tulley BMW of Manchester. FYI the B46 is a way better engine then the trash N20/N26.
That's awesome. I actually bought mine from Tulley Nashua. Does the DME not log any adjustments the JB4 plus makes so it can be detected by diagnostics software?
Appreciate 1
mikeyb74126.00
      05-21-2024, 09:18 AM   #6
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerSmith98 View Post
That's awesome. I actually bought mine from Tulley Nashua. Does the DME not log any adjustments the JB4 plus makes so it can be detected by diagnostics software?
I worked there as well. Who did you purchase the 330 from? I meant JB plus not the 4. JB plus won't show tampering with the DME. The only thing i can think of is if they dig real deep into some logs and find higher boost levels over stock. So if you remove the JB just drive the car normal for a day or two before going in. I know the JB4 is a not easily a unplug and plug back in with it's multiple plugs.
      05-21-2024, 10:32 AM   #7
tylers1027
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I worked there as well. Who did you purchase the 330 from? I meant JB plus not the 4. JB plus won't show tampering with the DME. The only thing i can think of is if they dig real deep into some logs and find higher boost levels over stock. So if you remove the JB just drive the car normal for a day or two before going in. I know the JB4 is a not easily a unplug and plug back in with it's multiple plugs.
I had the JB+ for 2 years with no issues ( I never got any warranty work done though); dealership never mentioned anything about it. I just installed the JB4 about a month ago. It's about a 15 minute install and that's running the cable through the firewall. If I went the easy way around the door jam I think I could probably do the whole install for JB4 in around 5 minutes or so. If you can install the JB+; you can install the JB4 (the sensor where the JB+ plugs in is the hardest JB4 connection to plug/unplug out of the 3 in my opinion).
Appreciate 1
mikeyb74126.00
      05-21-2024, 10:41 AM   #8
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had the JB+ for 2 years with no issues ( I never got any warranty work done though); dealership never mentioned anything about it. I just installed the JB4 about a month ago. It's about a 15 minute install and that's running the cable through the firewall. If I went the easy way around the door jam I think I could probably do the whole install for JB4 in around 5 minutes or so. If you can install the JB+; you can install the JB4 (the sensor where the JB+ plugs in is the hardest JB4 connection to plug/unplug out of the 3 in my opinion).
Easier then the previous BMWs that I had JB4s installed. Had a very early JB4 installed on a 07 335i which was a nightmare to install. I feel like I've seen photos of you G20 somewhere in the last coupLe of days. Maybe on one of the G20 FB groups?

Edit: We were chatting yesterday on BMW G20/G21 Official Owners Club. You posted about installing Dinan ignition coils.

Last edited by mikeyb74; 05-22-2024 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 11:43 AM   #9
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Tyler the package says 65mm for size of the 50th emblem. They are concave wheel decals.

Carlogodesign.com is the direct website.
      05-21-2024, 12:24 PM   #10
tylers1027
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Tyler the package says 65mm for size of the 50th emblem. They are concave wheel decals.

Carlogodesign.com is the direct website.
Thanks! And yes I'm on the G20 facebook group
Appreciate 1
mikeyb74126.00
      05-21-2024, 04:40 PM   #11
SpencerSmith98
Rep

Quote:
I bought it from Nathan Robinson. I was looking into piggyback tunes but im hesitant. Only because In the unlikely event of a catastrophic malfunction I don't want them to look into the history and see the change in boost and deny my claim.
Appreciate 1
mikeyb74126.00
      05-22-2024, 07:28 AM   #12
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerSmith98 View Post
I bought it from Nathan Robinson. I was looking into piggyback tunes but im hesitant. Only because In the unlikely event of a catastrophic malfunction I don't want them to look into the history and see the change in boost and deny my claim.
I don't think I know Nathan. I'll have to do a tune when I go to the IPOS turbo and intake manifold in the future when the warranty is expired. You have any photos of your G20 yet? Mine is in my photo album. I need some new photos.
      06-24-2024, 07:22 PM   #13
SpencerSmith98
Rep

Quote:
I don't think I know Nathan. I'll have to do a tune when I go to the IPOS turbo and intake manifold in the future when the warranty is expired. You have any photos of your G20 yet? Mine is in my photo album. I need some new photos.
Sorry for the long delay. I don't have any photos as of yet. Not much to see really. Its just a base 330xi. Alpine white. Black interior. I do have some blacked out grills, mirror caps, and a trunk lip on the way though that I'm excited about. Should make it pop a little.
Appreciate 0