Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Interview advice: accounting intern for private equity and intellectual property

06-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
JayReplay
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 6MT Sunroof Delete

Interview advice: accounting intern for private equity and intellectual property

I will soon have an interview for an intern position and would like any last minute advice. Basically what are some key points I should focus on, which demonstrate my true interest in the company and the position. I feel sometimes I may "overdo" it and screw them up.
The position
"We are seeking a summer intern to work in the Accounting Department in our Chicago office. As a paid intern, you will be working under the direction of the Assistant Controller. We require flexibility, dedication, and initiative. In return, we provide exceptional opportunities for skill development and professional growth." I will basically be doing accounts payable, valuation, variation analysis, financial modeling, etc.
I truly regret not attending those business career services mock interviews! Definitely would help at a time like this.

Please share your experiences.

2002 Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3 6MT
2017 White C63 AMG Coupe
2002 Oxford Green E46 M3 6MT - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

bring a friend and both of you wear tuxedos
      06-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
JayReplay
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

haha "hi miss lady, im dale, brenans brother and i think i can help with the pan problem"

2017 White C63 AMG Coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

oh you mean "Panm" "no pam" "oh ok Pan"
      06-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
1. Have a few sentences briefly describing yourself in mind. Not necessarily rehearsed, but have a few key phrases to answer the question "tell me about yourself"

2. Be able to cite 3 specific "strengths" about yourself and include examples supporting them

3. The same for "weaknesses" though never end without the weakness being resolved. IE "I would occasionally jump into things too quickly, but this has resulted in me improving my mental organization and on the fly decision making"

I have an interview coming up too tomorrow, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
JayReplay
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks and I wish you the best of luck too!

Anyone ever get the question, "Have you ever worked in a group and something didn't work out? What was the resolution"

2017 White C63 AMG Coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yea, just bs some like groupwork from college or something, the correct answer as that you two worked it out and did a successful presentation or whatever
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

The interview is your time to brag about yourself (in a way relevant to the company and its goals) and tell them why you're better than every other intern-hopeful out there, but you should know that already, lol.

Three key things that every employer looks at are: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA). Comb through your brain housing group and figure out what you have that applies to the position you are seeking. Know what the company does, know the basic history of the company, and know what is required of you as an intern. Talk about this and relate it to the KSA you have. Also, talk about any extra curricular stuff that will reflect on you as a hard worker, motivated, etc. Talk about awards or recognition you've received. Talk about how you are flexible, dedicated and take initiative (what they require according to the announcement), but expand on it.

Know why you want the job. This should be common sense, but please wear a fucking suit. If you don't have one and you really want this job, go get one, make sure it fits and looks good. Bring a folder containing a copy of your resume, cover letter and any other relevant material, even IF you already sent the shit in. If they have a copy on hand and you brought it in "just in case" it shows how prepared and professional you are, etc. If they don't have a copy on hand because they forgot to print it out, it looks even better.

Ummm, be confident? haha.
      06-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Practice!!!!!! im currently doing an accounting internship at Pricewaterhouse and the interview was easy for me because i did mock interviews with my school career center and also my sister helped me a lot since they went through many interviews as well. Ask people for advice try to befriend someone who works at the firm and email them for advice as well. Just make sure you do your homework and you should be fine
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
X2 on wearing a suit, keep the the shirt/tie combo understated. White shirt almost always on a first interview, subdued patterns in a red or blue tie, I prefer red. And not a black suit, this may come off as too flashy; if you have a navy or charcoal that is better, I always wear navy to the first interview.

Print your resume out on some nicer paper, and even if you see they have one offer it to them, this way they will know you're prepared, and will usually accept and while not a huge thing, at least they're looking at a nicer version than their shitty xerox paper version
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Tell them how much you love torrents and limewire
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #12
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have like a leather binder/zipper folder type organizer thing I carry my resumes around in, and just received a really nice briefcase from my parents as part of my graduation gift. I would previously just carry the binder thing but would like the chance to use the briefcase...is showing up with this too cocky? Or not really a big deal? I'm interviewing for a financial planner position if that makes any difference
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #13
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I have like a leather binder/zipper folder type organizer thing I carry my resumes around in, and just received a really nice briefcase from my parents as part of my graduation gift. I would previously just carry the binder thing but would like the chance to use the briefcase...is showing up with this too cocky? Or not really a big deal? I'm interviewing for a financial planner position if that makes any difference
Not cocky at all man. If anything it shows professionalism. All the little shit counts; while they may never say anything about your briefcase to you, they're likely making a mental note like on how squared away and prepared you were for the interview. Even the leather folder you mention will suffice, but if you have the briefcase, use it. Just don't be one of those fools who shows up with a lime green folder that was probably used in college for one of the subjects. To me, that would be just as bad as not wearing a suit to an interview.
      06-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #14
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks good advice
Appreciate 0