Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What is that noise? Identifying rattling noises

05-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #331
kriss555
Registered
Poland
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340iX

Did the service or someone else solve the problem with the crackling plastic at the end of the rear shelf in the sedan?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 11:47 AM   #332
kevinjm76
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmi2 View Post
Any progress? Does the noise stop when you press the plastic part?
Just purchased a '20 M340i and I'm having this same issue as in dmi2's video. Its the same sound as the video posted on youtube by Camburano a few months ago in this thread. Was there a way to resolve it? Maybe some felt tape in the left side of the gauge cluster display where it meets the plastic or housing?

Last edited by kevinjm76; 05-26-2021 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 10:40 PM   #333
N2570
Australia
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Actually I just re-read your message and it triggered something. I have heard a vibration from the front, but only under fairly hard acceleration. I thought it was coming from the speaker.
I had the same a few times under hard acceleration in Sport +. Dealer said it was the fake engine noise vibrating the centre dash speaker in just a way to make the rattle....
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 04:35 AM   #334
bmw34me
Rep
Drives: G20 330e Mineralgrau

2021 330e

I can hear a sound under the dashboard like every 3 seconds. It's a mechanical sound as if smth is moving or spinning briefly. It's nonestop the moment I enter the car. Is this considered normal for the G20 or should I contact the dealer?
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #335
bmw34me
Rep
Drives: G20 330e Mineralgrau

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw34me View Post
2021 330e

I can hear a sound under the dashboard like every 3 seconds. It's a mechanical sound as if smth is moving or spinning briefly. It's nonestop the moment I enter the car. Is this considered normal for the G20 or should I contact the dealer?
Small update on this: it's coming from center console between front seats. It also continues after engine is off and car is locked.
Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #336
ngalfano13
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriss555 View Post
Did the service or someone else solve the problem with the crackling plastic at the end of the rear shelf in the sedan?
kriss555 I still have this same squeaking noise. I have tried everything on here, headrests removed, lowered. Seats folded down. Took out carpet snaps behind rear seats. Padded rear seat release cable in trunk. Even took off the license plate to see if it was that. Even the dealer can't figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 10:10 PM   #337
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

My car now has a judder/resonance at idle.

See youtube video. Sound starts at 25 seconds in the first video. Does anyone have any ideas? It's like a thrum sound. There is no extra vibration felt through the car. It sounds like something is knocking.

- Sound originally was rare but now it happens almost every-time I take it for a drive. Only occurs when warmed up and stopped.

- I suspect it is something to do with the vibration of the mufflers and the rubber vibration dumpers.

- Sound appears to come from the rear of the car.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 03:12 PM   #338
ergarza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340 M Sport

Hi all, after several months of this annoying rattle and many hours of afterwork troubleshooting I found a way to eliminate the sunroof rattle on my car. Probably each individual problem is different but hopefully this works for you as well.

I must mention that I find this solution while trying to take down the headliner and fortunately it wasn't needed.... anyway, there are many parts involved on the removal of the headliner that I would suggest to don't let the dealer do it unless is absolutely necessary and you have exhausted all the possible options.

1- Unclip the headliner from the sunroof on the corner closer to the passenger door (front), for this I used my plastic tools but if you do it carefully even with couple plastic cards you can do it, see the first picture

2-In the sunroof corner (close to the wind deflector - passenger side), insert a tool to create a clearance in order to insert a piece of felt tape.

3- Insert the felt tape between the sunroof and the plastic where it seats, be sure that is closer to the edge of the sunroof rail.

4- To be in the safe zone, I inserted felt all in the perimeter of the passenger side between the headliner and the sunroof, not sure if this contributed to eliminate the rattle but now I don't want to remove it as is super quiet.

The aforementioned 4 steps solved 95% of the issue, the 5% remaining got solved by cleaning the sunroof rubber and the perimeter of where it sits while closed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      09-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #339
chinmaykushare@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Xdrive 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianluca View Post
Sorry for the late of my answer. As you can see, it's the corner on the right. When I push there, the noise disappears
https://www.amazon.it/photos/share/b...ipqKTgARn9ATvX
Hi, Can you please post the picture , i dont see anything on the link u posted..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 12:22 PM   #340
3erMan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

After reading what I believe are all of the G20 sunroof-related posts on this forum, it's clear that there are multiple sources of noise from sunroofs. I discovered the source of mine.

The symptom is a squeaking/creaking noise (not rattling) from the back of the sunroof. That is, the edge of the glass nearest the rear seat. It makes noise only when in the closed position. Rough pavement surfaces and driving over pavement edges (i.e., end of the driveway) resulting in chassis flex will exacerbate the sound.

I know some have used SIL-Glyde as a lubricant on sunroof components. It is a non-silicone, weather resistant, high viscosity lubricant that is harmless to rubber and plastic components. I instead used Super Lube (manufactured by Synco Chemical Corp.), which is a very similar synthetic, non-silicone grease safe for rubber and plastic. I'm sure either would work.

Because of the location of the source of noise, I started with a thin layer of lubricant along the leading edge of the painted body surface against which the seal (attached to the glass) comes into contact. This worked, which obviously confirms the source of the sound. Mine is coming from friction between the weather seal and and the painted body surface.

I know others have suffered from different sunroof issues, but my case shows that at least one of the potential problems is friction with the weather seal. I realize I'll have to be applying lubricant from time to time, but I'd rather deal with this as a simple maintenance issue than have the dealer tear apart the whole assembly. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #341
g20_owner_guy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

First post

Bought 2021 M340i from dealer a couple weeks ago, ex-loaner

Sunroof made lots of noise when driving slow, especially in hot weather.

Dealer did SIB 54 15 19 - apply lubricant, but might have done something else to replace or reseat at the back of the sunroof - the black bar that goes across it. It used to make a ton of noise when I pushed on it with my hand but seems ok now.

Crossed fingers this doesn't come back...

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...70583-9999.pdf
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      10-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #342
Seaford
Permanently confused
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport Gran Coupe

The sunroof on my 2019 330i has been quite noisy over the last few months, sort of creaking noise that disappeared when put into the tilt position. Put it into the main dealer this week under warranty; apparently bmw have recently introduced a service kit with revised bushings and lubricant of some sort., All seems good now. Technician hinted there have been ‘quite a few problems’ with the sunroofs on G20…..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 02:27 AM   #343
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
I have very annoying but intermittent squeaking sound from the sunroof. everytime I take it to the dealer, the sound stays away. have not been able to reproduce at the dealer so far and hence cannot get it fixed. the video in the link shows the sound. hard to hear it above the engine noise but I know what to listen for. can you guys hear it? especially loud after the 16 sec mark. any clues what is causing it?
https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/yIol3A9a7tzk
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 03:26 AM   #344
gavinwong
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
2020 G20 330e  [9.75]
Noise on my 2020 crept in as the weather started to cool. Like most, only occurred when closed. Dealer fixed it under warranty. First via the more recently issued bmw service suggestion pack, but they decided to replace the bracket. All sorted now. Dealer tested over some speed bumps and uneven road surfaces with me to make sure I was satisfied
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 02:11 AM   #345
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
I have very annoying but intermittent squeaking sound from the sunroof. everytime I take it to the dealer, the sound stays away. have not been able to reproduce at the dealer so far and hence cannot get it fixed. the video in the link shows the sound. hard to hear it above the engine noise but I know what to listen for. can you guys hear it? especially loud after the 16 sec mark. any clues what is causing it?
https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/yIol3A9a7tzk
Finally I think I have isolated the issue. The rattle is caused by interference between the parcel shelf and the rear windscreen. The rattle stops when I press the plastic piece at the end of the parcel shelf which meets the glass. Have communicated this to the dealer, hope they stop this interference through felt or something else.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2022, 12:14 PM   #346
Semtex93
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Did anyone have rattle in front of driver, on headliner? It is like just behind sunshade. Clicking noise which is reproducible under pressure.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 01:03 PM   #347
nonMg20
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i (xline), 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingBroStyle View Post
Had the car for 2months now. There is a rattling noise coming from either the trunk or back seats anyone had any luck identifying the mystery creaking sound in their G20??
Ok. So I'm not crazy... occasionally I hear a creaking/squeaking noise, sounds like it's coming from the back. Also, when in sport+ I hear a vibration type sound in the front, near the console.
Same, near the large speaker right above the touch screen, I hear a really faint rattling like something is lose or has fallen out.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2022, 11:32 PM   #348
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonMg20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Quote:
Had the car for 2months now. There is a rattling noise coming from either the trunk or back seats anyone had any luck identifying the mystery creaking sound in their G20??
Ok. So I'm not crazy... occasionally I hear a creaking/squeaking noise, sounds like it's coming from the back. Also, when in sport+ I hear a vibration type sound in the front, near the console.
Same, near the large speaker right above the touch screen, I hear a really faint rattling like something is lose or has fallen out.
Vibration is coming from the center speaker see there's a post where someone credited me for finding it using a frequency app. Basically the cover needs to be taken off the center speaker and padded with felt I will like the thread shortly.
BMW CCA #522637 use me as a referral for BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 11:37 PM   #349
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Solution for center speaker rattle:

Cause: frequency of 175Hz causes the plastic grate to vibrate. The sound is created due to lack of silencing material around plastic contact points

Solution: remove grate add silencing material to cover contact points.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1652142
BMW CCA #522637 use me as a referral for BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 12:25 AM   #350
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
Finally I think I have isolated the issue. The rattle is caused by interference between the parcel shelf and the rear windscreen. The rattle stops when I press the plastic piece at the end of the parcel shelf which meets the glass. Have communicated this to the dealer, hope they stop this interference through felt or something else.
The dealer fully insulated the plastic vent by applying felt between the vent and metal frame, as well as vent and glass. A week now, no rattle so far. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201844.50
      02-20-2022, 02:49 AM   #351
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

2000 miles and there is a rattle/creak coming from the general direction of front windscreen. no idea what it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 12:19 AM   #352
krissbell
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 320i, ZMT, ZSP, ZPP

Garage List
2021 BMW 330i  [0.00]
rattle on right rear-solved

all,

i have been following this forum and i have a 2021 G20 330i base and i started getting the clicking noise/rattle in right rear side. i assumed it was the seat release levels and the cabling associated with it. i added under-furniture velcro pads and it did help, but did not solve the problem completely. i then took it to the dealer (bmw of grapevine in dallas,tx area) and they isolated it with the help of a bmw engineer to the rear shock absorber center plate assembly. i can share the details if anyone is interested. the parts had to flown in from germany and they called it "center plate", basically which mounts the rear suspension to the strut towers. apparently there is a bulletin for this problem and it is a known issue for this generation of vehicles.

3 days in, the noise seems to have been gone and will update if it recurs again. also, i changed the tires from stock bridgestone turanza(was at 4/10 by 8600miles) to non run flat michelin pilot sport all season 4s from costco. huge difference to the ride in general and handling has sharpened quite a bit, especially the steering feel.
Appreciate 1
francton126.50