Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications NEW RELEASE: Dinan BMW G20 M340i Axle Back Exhaust Systems

09-15-2021, 10:37 AM   #375
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff-C-Clavin View Post
How much louder is this than stock when in sport mode?

I had mine installed today and it sounds only slightly louder. I can hear both actuators opening when I’m under the car. I just expected it to be louder when the valves are open.

I’m figuring if it’s only a slight difference it is installed properly. If it is night and day I might have an installation problem.
I've a 2020, software version 7/20. Comfort is a more deeper tone, not necessarily louder. Sport Mode is much more boisterous than stock. You may have different outcomes if you have a 2021MY or on the latest software version.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #376
amrh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx

Looking at the website, it states "Estimated shipping date: 10/28/2021".

How accurate is that estimate? I'm seeing that a lot of you waited for several months, before receiving the exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #377
Mastamoe
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 m340 rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrh View Post
Looking at the website, it states "Estimated shipping date: 10/28/2021".

How accurate is that estimate? I'm seeing that a lot of you waited for several months, before receiving the exhaust!

Honestly, dude I would not order this exhaust. Save yourself the aggravation and just go down to your local reputable exhaust / muffler shop and have them fabricate something for you. If you ordered it today, I guarantee you wouldn't get it until 3/2022.

I don't know what's going on over there, but they need to figure it out. If Elon Musk can build spaceships, I think Dinan can figure out the logistics of slapping some exhaust pipes together
Appreciate 1
330iToy71.00
      09-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #378
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastamoe View Post
Honestly, dude I would not order this exhaust. Save yourself the aggravation and just go down to your local reputable exhaust / muffler shop and have them fabricate something for you. If you ordered it today, I guarantee you wouldn't get it until 3/2022.

I don't know what's going on over there, but they need to figure it out. If Elon Musk can build spaceships, I think Dinan can figure out the logistics of slapping some exhaust pipes together
There's way more than just slapping exhaust pipes together. I'm guessing you're not familiar with the manufacturing industry...

In other news, how is everyone's review on this setup? Everyone happy with the product?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 11:16 AM   #379
Dravit_M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
There's way more than just slapping exhaust pipes together. I'm guessing you're not familiar with the manufacturing industry...

In other news, how is everyone's review on this setup? Everyone happy with the product?
Loving it well worth the wait!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 08:42 AM   #380
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

After being down a week and a half got some catching up to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iToy View Post
Any group buy discount for a set of black tips M340i or military discount?
There is not at the factory level. A good chunk of our dealer base however does offer a military discount and often will extend it to the products they sell.

Quote:
Any news, dinan?
Nothing at present. Will have a better idea in a day or 2 once we have been able to actually receive the hundred or so pallets that we were unable to this past week due to the system outage. Missing tips may be in there somewhere.

Quote:
Is there any way you guys would send out my exhaust without any tips?
If the production line actually worked that way, then maybe, but as is the line for any particular exhaust is not started until all pieces are in stock so it can be done start to finish on a run. Given the back order across the board we would not be doing a run just to have the base system sit on shelf where we could be building systems that will actually complete orders right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff-C-Clavin View Post
How much louder is this than stock when in sport mode?

I had mine installed today and it sounds only slightly louder. I can hear both actuators opening when I’m under the car. I just expected it to be louder when the valves are open.

I’m figuring if it’s only a slight difference it is installed properly. If it is night and day I might have an installation problem.
Its a significant change going from OEM exhaust SPORT mode to Dinan exhaust SPORT mode to my ears. The later exhaust update I have only heard once in person and it sounded like a similar delta but it wasnt back to back so maybe there is a smaller delta there. Now if we are talking just valves open versus valves closed then you should hear a significant difference in both tone, burbles and volume.

Quote:

Frustration is on both the manufacturing and retail side alike -- I gaurantee you that. DM me your order number so I can see where in the queue your order may be. If you are still 50 units down the list or whatever and know pretty definitively you will be waiting awhile longer then you can make the call on whether you wish to continue to wait or just cancel.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 10:19 AM   #381
330iToy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 M3 Space Gray

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the updates 👍🙂. Any news on the M440 CA intake? I have the factory strut tower braces.
      09-20-2021, 10:33 AM   #382
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iToy View Post
Thanks for the updates 👍🙂. Any news on the M440 CA intake? I have the factory strut tower braces.
Nothing new. Still waiting on production carbon.
Appreciate 1
330iToy71.00
      09-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #383
CharlesC
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

Two questions - possible to get replacement tips (now or in the future if/when things settle down)?

The in-stock status on the M340 intake accurate on the Dinan site?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:13 PM   #384
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesC View Post
Two questions - possible to get replacement tips (now or in the future if/when things settle down)?

The in-stock status on the M340 intake accurate on the Dinan site?
Yes, replacement tips would ultimately be available if needed. Wouldn't be listed anywhere as a finished good but they could be ordered directly through tech if needed.

The intake ETA on the website is a relatively accurate ETA given then information we currently have. Right now we are waiting on CF lids as well as the plastic lower boxes to show. The CF lids are supposed to arrive before the end of the month but the lower boxes were pushed back to 10/7 by the vendor this morning so you will probably see that date shift out a week or so tomorrow morning. A fair amount of sub assembly goes into that raw lower box so between that and kitting the final kit I think its safe to say it will be another week after reciept of those before they start shipping again.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #385
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just got back from having the dealer resolve recall 21V-598 (brake booster issue). Dealership also updated iDrive to 7/2021 from 7/2019, aka the exhaust update. Spent some time driving the car afterwards and figured I'd I could speak to the before and after for those who are curious. This is all notes and opinions from within the interior, windows down.

Before: the Dinan exhaust isn't much different from stock when in comfort. Think a much more deeper tone, like someone turned the bass up on the exhaust note. Sport mode was bonkers. Burbles for sake of burbling, enough of the "clap" ones that reverb off of buildings and such. On simple throttle off and braking, you'd get some rolling burbles that are pretty sweet as well.

After: comfort is kind of the same as before. Bass-y and full, just a tad quiet. Like someone turned the volume down, but didn't touch the EQ settings. Sport lost a lot of its spunk. Less rambunctious burbles, but still some on when you let off the throttle. Some of the rolling burbles. But again, just a drop in volume.

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 02:23 PM   #386
CharlesC
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ckash623 View Post
Just got back from having the dealer resolve recall 21V-598 (brake booster issue). Dealership also updated iDrive to 7/2021 from 7/2019, aka the exhaust update.
Which version were you on before the update? 03/2021.50? Or a version from 07/19?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 02:57 PM   #387
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Just got back from having the dealer resolve recall 21V-598 (brake booster issue). Dealership also updated iDrive to 7/2021 from 7/2019, aka the exhaust update.
Which version were you on before the update? 03/2021.50? Or a version from 07/19?
I was on 7/2019. I turned off the Remote Software Upgrade function altogether to stay there once I read reports of a quieter exhaust from other members with 2020s.

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 03:02 PM   #388
CharlesC
Private
Rep

Quote:
I was on 7/2019. I turned off the Remote Software Upgrade function altogether to stay there once I read reports of a quieter exhaust from other members with 2020s.
Got it. Thanks.

I'm on 03/2021.50 which I've read is quieter than prior versions. Wondering how much of a change there will be from what I have to the updated. Guess I'll find out at the end of the month.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 03:17 PM   #389
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Got it. Thanks.

I'm on 03/2021.50 which I've read is quieter than prior versions. Wondering how much of a change there will be from what I have to the updated. Guess I'll find out at the end of the month.
Gotcha. I don't think it gets more quieter after the 3/2021 update. The XX/2021 software versions introduced the diminished exhaust sound.
Appreciate 1
ketan0.00
      09-21-2021, 02:54 AM   #390
Evo9m340
Rep
Drives: EVO 9, M340, IS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post

Sold my exhaust and sold my 340. In the week or so driving around with the stock exhaust again, Comfort and sport + was a joke. Barely hear a difference.

I will get a 340 again or better yet a M3/4 and will not hesitant to get another dinan exhaust. With many setups hitting the market for the 340 after dinan release this exhaust, I feel the design and sound of the rest are pretty trashy, might as all that money go to a muffler shop for some straight pipes and shitty welds.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 12:05 AM   #391
CharlesC
Private
Rep

Wow. Got my Dinan exhaust earlier today and finished up the install this evening. Super happy with the sound. Can be totally tame through the neighborhood in comfort and eco and then have a totally different beast in sport and sport+.
Appreciate 2
      09-23-2021, 05:37 AM   #392
amrh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx

Quote:
Wow. Got my Dinan exhaust earlier today and finished up the install this evening. Super happy with the sound. Can be totally tame through the neighborhood in comfort and eco and then have a totally different beast in sport and sport+.
Congrats on the new exhaust!

How long did it take for you to receive the exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 07:37 AM   #393
Mastamoe
Private
Rep

Quote:
When did you order?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #394
CharlesC
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrh View Post
Congrats on the new exhaust!

How long did it take for you to receive the exhaust?

Quote:
When did you order?
I found ECS had one in stock with stainless tips about two weeks ago (only one left) and pulled the trigger on that. Took about two weeks to get to me after my order processed.
Appreciate 1
330iToy71.00
      09-23-2021, 01:43 PM   #395
Mastamoe
Private
Rep

Quote:
I found ECS had one in stock with stainless tips about two weeks ago (only one left) and pulled the trigger on that. Took about two weeks to get to me after my order processed.
Oh my god you can't be serious! I'm so jealous, I've been waiting all summer
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 09:08 PM   #396
CharlesC
Private
Rep

Quote:
Oh my god you can't be serious! I'm so jealous, I've been waiting all summer
Yeah, I am.... Was looking at some other brand's exhausts as well (sorry Dinan) and saw they were all back ordered 6+ weeks. ECS happened to have one stainless tipped in stock.

I know in the M340 Facebook group, a few people said they had one or two in stock - might check there. Mostly stainless tip available (I would prefer the black, but I want the exhaust more than the tip color).
Appreciate 0