Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions coding id8

10-26-2023, 11:46 AM   #45
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNRW View Post
You want to compare a way that is controllable by the driver to something that is only accessible with some pirated BMW software?
With all my respect, i think you´re the one that doesn´t understand how this car works.

You can remove a screw with the correct screwdriver or you can just drill out the screw. In both cases the screw is removed but from your logic it doesn´t matter. The screw is gone...

It´s the same with the exhaust valve, sure you can remove the plug or the fuse but the car knows that the exhaust valve is disconnected. Does it work? Sure. Is it 100% proof? No.
LOL @ pirated software. So somehow if we were to code the same parameter using “genuine” software at dealership that won’t matter? Just kidding.

I don’t think the exhaust valve analogy is an apples-to-apples comparison with what the poster is saying. In the exhaust valve case you are indeed tempering with physical hardware so yes there’s a real argument to be had there that it could potentially cause issues like throwing a CEL. Exhaust valve can still be coded to be permanently open (as I have done on my car) but based on your logic from the beginning: that will cause problems because it deviates from factory spec. Or that somehow the fact that I coded M logo on my digitial cluster I could wake up one morning and my cluster could develop issues.

Don’t get me wrong, AS/S (or MSA as you like to call it) is not a new technology, it’s been around for a while on a host of other brands beyond BMW. I can’t imagine that the info you are spreading on this forum wouldn’t have been a cautionary tale from some of the other forums. What is so special about this feature on the G20 or BMW?

If you have a pre 2021 build, there is a switch to turn the feature off and, like I said, in some EU countries, there is a botton to turn this off on Mild Hybrid models (MY21+) so if disabling this is problematic why give the driver the option to switch it off with a button in the first place?
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2023, 01:08 PM   #46
dancing__narwhal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 m340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anik225 View Post
Can you use bimmercode on an lci with id8?
I took delivery of my 2024 m340i a few weeks ago and have successfully coded a few things using an OBDlink CX and the BimmerCode iPhone app.

Things I have coded successfully:
- B&W audio
- disable seatbelt chime
- sport individual on startup
- rear DRLs (have not check if this did anything yet)

I also tried to allow windows to keep closing when opening the door but it didn’t seem to work.

A couple of issues I have noticed:
- I still get a seatbelt graphic on the instrument cluster for a minute or so after starting
- I still seem to get a seatbelt chime for the passenger seat
- I’ve had issues with long pressing the microphone button for Siri causing my CarPlay to crash

I’m not sure if the last one is completely related to coding. I disabled Hey Siri and that seems to have helped.

I need to play around more with the seatbelt chime options and see if I can get it all coded off properly.

On a separate note - I have the M Performance Exhaust which is fairly loud and I cannot really tell the difference between the real noise and the fake noise from ASD so I haven’t even bothered to code it off.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 03:51 PM   #47
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNRW View Post
You want to compare a way that is controllable by the driver to something that is only accessible with some pirated BMW software?
With all my respect, i think you´re the one that doesn´t understand how this car works.

You can remove a screw with the correct screwdriver or you can just drill out the screw. In both cases the screw is removed but from your logic it doesn´t matter. The screw is gone...

It´s the same with the exhaust valve, sure you can remove the plug or the fuse but the car knows that the exhaust valve is disconnected. Does it work? Sure. Is it 100% proof? No.

Let me try this again…

It’s just as controllable as coding, the car doesn’t naturally want to do that, you are “creating” the scenario for the car to do that which is exacly the same as if you coded it.
      10-26-2023, 03:58 PM   #48
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

I should add my M340 has over 20k and a full sound system which should cause even more issues draining the battery and with auto -start since I have 3 amps lol, the one before this one 2019 330 also had a sound system and traded in with 66k when I got this 340, never even had a battery issue, please let’s stop the fear mongering.
      01-04-2024, 12:12 AM   #49
Raffe
Rep
Drives: m340i

Did you have any issues with BMW warranty because of changes you made via bimmerlink? Have they made any problems during service checks? I heard BMW likes to void warranty because of these kind of things.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 12:13 AM   #50
Anik225
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW m340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
Did you have any issues with BMW warranty because of changes you made via bimmerlink? Have they made any problems during service checks? I heard BMW likes to void warranty because of these kind of things.
No
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 12:11 AM   #51
Raffe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike330i View Post
The extra instructions now included within BimmerCode did the trick for me. See attached

Previously with ASD coded inactive & Iconic Sounds set OFF - I still got some fake noise during acceleration - with this Activation Code - deactivated - only the real engine/exhaust sound (very well muted) is present

Regards, Mike.
With ASD off can you turn on Iconic Sounds and get exhaust flaps open (louder outside)? Or will you get also inside engine sounds through the speakers?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 08:39 AM   #52
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport LCI

Quote:
With ASD off can you turn on Iconic Sounds and get exhaust flaps open (louder outside)? Or will you get also inside engine sounds through the speakers?
Active Sound Design (plus Iconic Sounds) is all related to fake, electronically generated sound effects via the speakers. It has no effect on the external sounds produced by engine / exhaust / flap setting.

Regards, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 05:03 AM   #53
Raffe
Rep

Quote:
Active Sound Design (plus Iconic Sounds) is all related to fake, electronically generated sound effects via the speakers. It has no effect on the external sounds produced by engine / exhaust / flap setting.

Regards, Mike.
I just noticed that you're referring to 330i. In m340i Iconic Sounds actually closes and opens flaps in the exhaust but it comes with more fake engine noise inside.
Have you tried to disable ASD and enable Iconic Sounds? Was there any fake noise there or nothing at all?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 07:01 AM   #54
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I just noticed that you're referring to 330i. In m340i Iconic Sounds actually closes and opens flaps in the exhaust but it comes with more fake engine noise inside.
Have you tried to disable ASD and enable Iconic Sounds? Was there any fake noise there or nothing at all?
Yes, sorry, my experiences are limited to the G20 330i.

I just wanted as little noise as possible. Bimmercode recently gave extra instructions for disabling ASD, and deleting a token - with these applied I only get the real exhaust sound. Flap open at start-up, but probably closed after initial warm-up phase.

Others have mentioned using Sport mode to keep the flap open - but that's not for me.

Regards, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 07:16 AM   #55
Raffe
Rep

Quote:
Yes, sorry, my experiences are limited to the G20 330i.

I just wanted as little noise as possible. Bimmercode recently gave extra instructions for disabling ASD, and deleting a token - with these applied I only get the real exhaust sound. Flap open at start-up, but probably closed after initial warm-up phase.

Others have mentioned using Sport mode to keep the flap open - but that's not for me.

Regards, Mike.
By extra instructions you mean something else that you provided before in this thread? I know activation codes had to be changed in order it to work. Has anything changed with latest ID update?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 09:17 AM   #56
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
By extra instructions you mean something else that you provided before in this thread? I know activation codes had to be changed in order it to work. Has anything changed with latest ID update?
I forgot that I posted the Bimmercode screenshot - with the activation code delete instruction.

No further changes appear to be required - unless BMW make some changes with the next RSU

Regards, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 01:41 PM   #57
Aero7000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i DravitGrau / Cognac

Can eurospec high beams (anti-glare) still can be coded on the LCI G20 in North america?
I had it coded on my 2020 M340 with laser lights, and it worked amazing.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 12:16 AM   #58
Raffe
Rep

Quote:
I forgot that I posted the Bimmercode screenshot - with the activation code delete instruction.

No further changes appear to be required - unless BMW make some changes with the next RSU

Regards, Mike.
With ASD coded off have you tried turning on Iconic Sounds? Is it giving you any fake engine noise or is it completely gone when ASD is off?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 01:06 PM   #59
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
With ASD coded off have you tried turning on Iconic Sounds? Is it giving you any fake engine noise or is it completely gone when ASD is off?
I have to admit that I have not tested to see if the Iconic Sounds option would still work with ASD coded OFF - as I don't want to risk not being able to get rid of them again

At my age - you lose interest in noisy cars (actually in my case I never had an interest in noisy cars - except for the Aston Martin V8 that shook the building we were in after having new tyres fitted - that was glorious but also 40 years ago )

Regards, Mike.
Appreciate 0