Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbiejones View Post
Sooooo it now looks as if H&R has finally released a front and rear sway bar for the non X-Drive G20 (see below):

http://www.hrsprings.com/application...s/4/2211/2019/

https://www.achtuning.com/h-r-72462-...-4-series-rwd/

I will be purchasing a set here in the near future and will add to this thread with my thoughts once installed.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the sway bar you linked for the 330 and not m340? Is it compatible? If so, then I would probably consider this now since I loved the improvements the Dinan monoballs made.
Good point my friend - I will give H&R a call on Monday and confirm. I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 11:58 AM   #46
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the sway bar you linked for the 330 and not m340? Is it compatible? If so, then I would probably consider this now since I loved the improvements the Dinan monoballs made.
Ok, so here is the rub. H&R states the rear sway bar from the M340i xDrive will install with no issues (H&R part No. 71462); I have also verified the BMW part No. to be identically the same between the M340i RWD and the xDrive.

The main issue resides with the front sway bar. Neither the M340i xDrive or 330i front sway bar options from H&R will install - confirmed by H&R. Additionally, the BMW part numbers are different in case someone was curious.

I guess we shall have to wait and see which manufacturer designs a front sway bar option for the M340i RWD, but for now there are no current options from either H&R or Eibach.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 02:16 PM   #47
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Ok, so here is the rub. H&R states the rear sway bar from the M340i xDrive will install with no issues (H&R part No. 71462); I have also verified the BMW part No. to be identically the same between the M340i RWD and the xDrive.

The main issue resides with the front sway bar. Neither the M340i xDrive or 330i front sway bar options from H&R will install - confirmed by H&R. Additionally, the BMW part numbers are different in case someone was curious.

I guess we shall have to wait and see which manufacturer designs a front sway bar option for the M340i RWD, but for now there are no current options from either H&R or Eibach.
Appreciate the homework done.

Guess I'll wait too until both front and rear can be installed at once.
      09-19-2022, 02:23 PM   #48
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate the homework done.

Guess I'll wait too until both front and rear can be installed at once.
No worries - I'm glad to try and help others because I know there are others who help answer my questions when they arise.

Agreed, all we can do is sit and wait.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 07:57 AM   #49
TheJungatron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nothing currently :(

Quote:
No worries - I'm glad to try and help others because I know there are others who help answer my questions when they arise.

Wondering if we can just install a rear bar? I did that on my 15" Camaro SS and it worked well as the front bar they suggested was minimal in change from a SS to a 1le. I'm wondering the tolerances is.

:-D
(Retired - 1987 325i Vert)
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2022, 06:17 PM   #50
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungatron View Post
Quote:

Wondering if we can just install a rear bar? I did that on my 15" Camaro SS and it worked well as the front bar they suggested was minimal in change from a SS to a 1le. I'm wondering the tolerances is.

:-D
H&R stated there is absolutely no issue with installing the rear sway bar on its own. I will see if I am able to determine the front sway bar radius dimensions so we are able to make a fair comparison
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2022, 12:47 PM   #51
PhantasticDad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:
H&R stated there is absolutely no issue with installing the rear sway bar on its own. I will see if I am able to determine the front sway bar radius dimensions so we are able to make a fair comparison
Out here in the central Texas hill country, fortunately, I get the chance for high-speed curves with up-and-down elevation change - fun driving...
My perception is that the front is very planted and doesn't really roll much at all, while the rear has more roll and wants to "wander" to the outside of the curve - not what I like. Based on that and the fact that it seems the H&R sway bars add 2mm thickness both front and rear, I was thinking that only upgrading the rears might achieve exactly the balance one would want. Planted and pleasant in the front and stop the "wandering" and roll on the rear. Not sure if others have the same evaluation...
By the way my set-up is 2023 M340i standard suspension with high-performance tires.
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2022, 12:49 PM   #52
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantasticDad View Post
Quote:
Out here in the central Texas hill country, fortunately, I get the chance for high-speed curves with up-and-down elevation change - fun driving...
My perception is that the front is very planted and doesn't really roll much at all, while the rear has more roll and wants to "wander" to the outside of the curve - not what I like. Based on that and the fact that it seems the H&R sway bars add 2mm thickness both front and rear, I was thinking that only upgrading the rears might achieve exactly the balance one would want. Planted and pleasant in the front and stop the "wandering" and roll on the rear. Not sure if others have the same evaluation...
By the way my set-up is 2023 M340i standard suspension with high-performance tires.
Would be very interesting to see how your car responds after the upgrade to the rear sway bar. Please keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 11:29 PM   #53
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Would be very interesting to see how your car responds after the upgrade to the rear sway bar. Please keep us posted!
I second this
      10-29-2022, 08:59 AM   #54
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I second this
I've seriously contemplated purchasing the rear and installing, but the overall amount of work required for installation is holding me back. I should have purchased and installed when I installed my coilovers, would have been extremely easy at that point.
Appreciate 1
peelerec1247.50
      11-07-2022, 12:06 PM   #55
PhantasticDad
Private
United_States
Rep

Sway vs Oversteer

The amount of work to install the sway bar has been a definite deterrent for me as well.
Last week I installed a high-flow downpipe (APEX Built) and a front strut tower brace that mimics the Cusco brace for the Supra (ordered on eBay). I have to say that with the added power and the brace, it seems to easily get into an oversteer situation around tighter bends. Given that, I am reconsidering putting a stiffer rear sway bar on as that would just add to the oversteer issue.
The brace by the way has made the steering response a little more immediate and crisp. Not that one would expect huge changes from an already very well-dialed-in steering and suspension, but to the discerning driver of curves, there is a slight improvement.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2022, 01:05 PM   #56
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340x Drive

Quote:
The amount of work to install the sway bar has been a definite deterrent for me as well.
Last week I installed a high-flow downpipe (APEX Built) and a front strut tower brace that mimics the Cusco brace for the Supra (ordered on eBay).
Link to brace?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 03:32 PM   #57
PhantasticDad
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whofelt View Post
Link to brace?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/32487580133...3ABFBM0IK7koth
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 03:45 PM   #58
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, I was looking at someone similar to that one but wasn’t sure it would clear the hood, glad to know it fits.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 08:42 AM   #59
TheJungatron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nothing currently :(

Quote:
I've seriously contemplated purchasing the rear and installing, but the overall amount of work required for installation is holding me back. I should have purchased and installed when I installed my coilovers, would have been extremely easy at that point.
Hurry up Chubbie and install this bad boy ;-)
(Retired - 1987 325i Vert)
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2022, 08:46 AM   #60
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungatron View Post
Quote:
Hurry up Chubbie and install this bad boy ;-)
Ugh, I know right! If I wasn't working on acquiring all the components for a custom big brake upgrade I would have already purchased and installed
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 08:47 AM   #61
PhantasticDad
Private
United_States
Rep

Tires...

I just switched my tires and rims to my "winter" set - here in Texas that means all-season tires, to deal better with rain and cooler temperatures than performance summer tires. I put on Michelin PS AS4s versus the factory Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5.
The differences in driving characteristics of the car are significant - it's almost as if I had made some noticeable suspension changes. The car steers more crisply and directly, the rear end track very precisely, no more drifting feeling where the rear wants to "wander" to the outside of the curve.
If you're running anything other than Michelin PS4S or Michelin PS AS4 you might try switching to those tires before spending the big bucks on sway bars etc. - you may find it tightens up the drive sufficiently to forego those other more involved modifications.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2022, 08:53 AM   #62
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just switched my tires and rims to my "winter" set - here in Texas that means all-season tires, to deal better with rain and cooler temperatures than performance summer tires. I put on Michelin PS AS4s versus the factory Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5.
The differences in driving characteristics of the car are significant - it's almost as if I had made some noticeable suspension changes. The car steers more crisply and directly, the rear end track very precisely, no more drifting feeling where the rear wants to "wander" to the outside of the curve.
If you're running anything other than Michelin PS4S or Michelin PS AS4 you might try switching to those tires before spending the big bucks on sway bars etc. - you may find it tightens up the drive sufficiently to forego those other more involved modifications.
This is good news for all those folks with stock type tires! I have PS4S tires currently installed but regardless I will be conducting this modification in the near future along with a custom big brake upgrade.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2023, 05:47 PM   #63
PhantasticDad
Private
United_States
Rep

Just thought I'd add a recent experience on this topic... I installed an Ultra Racing brace for the rear lower frame that helps stiffen the rear subframe. It was extremely early to install and has made a noticeable difference in handling. The car tracks better around turns which is especially noticeable at higher speeds and also has less body roll, presumably because it helps the sway bar work more efficiently.
This was a much more affordable upgrade than aftermarket sway bars with very pleasing benefits.
Appreciate 3
      03-12-2023, 05:55 PM   #64
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Just thought I'd add a recent experience on this topic... I installed an Ultra Racing brace for the rear lower frame that helps stiffen the rear subframe. It was extremely early to install and has made a noticeable difference in handling. The car tracks better around turns which is especially noticeable at higher speeds and also has less body roll, presumably because it helps the sway bar work more efficiently.
This was a much more affordable upgrade than aftermarket sway bars with very pleasing benefits.
This one?
https://ultraracing-usa.com/bmw-3-se...ower-2-points/
      03-12-2023, 08:10 PM   #65
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate the update on your most recent upgrade! How was the fit and finish of the rear brace from Ultra Racing?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 09:11 PM   #66
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep

does https://ultraracing-usa.com/bmw-3-se...trut-2-points/ actually fit the m340ix?